• I clean everywhere adequately once or twice a week
    • I never pick up
    • My place is a real tip
    • I can?t remember the last time I cleaned thoroughly
    • My maid has gone on strike
    • Immunization required to enter my place
    • I don't care as long as I can find a clean coffee cup

A bit of a fun poll...

Do you ever wonder what Jesus would say if he were to visit your home – say, today – and see you living in your normal mode? You know, with a few newspapers or magazines on the table, children’s toys under a chair, dog hairs on the carpet, some letters or bills you need to deal with on a desk, and a box of cereals on the counter in the kitchen or the clean crockery not yet put away? (Or even - shock, horror - some dirty crockery in the sink?) (A home that people live in, in fact.) Or perhaps there’s some mud tracked in on the floor where you were out in the garden? Maybe the car has a few wrappers in it, from a burger or some candies? Are there a few weeds in the vege patch?

I say this in light of TWI’s ultra high standards for cleaning, tidying, making everything physically perfect -cushions perfectly plumped, furniture always exactly in position, hard floors washed daily, carpets vacuumed daily, shelves dusted daily. (As there are fewer in rez Corps now someone at the Café indicated that standards had resumed more normal levels.)

Imagine you were Zacchaeus and Jesus invited himself to your home to share the evening meal. Or Mary, Martha and Lazarus, and Jesus called by on his way to Jerusalem. That sort of scenario.

Would he find a "show home" :rolleyes: or would he find a place that was “lived in” :blink: ? Or would you be so embarrassed that you wouldn’t let him in the door? :doh:

Okay, now I'll go and mop up the muddy footprints that I tracked in by the kitchen door from when it rained while I was planting out in the garden...

If he came.. I think he would say "life is messy, clean it up"

:biglaugh:

I dunno. There are so few places that would be immaculate enough for twi "standards(?)"..

a well kept grave would qualify..

nothing out of place, flowers in the correct position..

maybe a "retirement" home. Nothing to offend, no new life to intrude an otherwise "perfect" existence..

no rock and roll..

sounds like hell..

:biglaugh:

I think if the Lord is who he is, and who *they* say he is.. he would be so gracious, that one wouldn't even care if they had a sink load of dirty dishes from yesterday..

:)

I have a neat freak husband who cleans everything for me. (Except the toilet, which grosses him out completely.)

God bless that man.

:love3::love3::love3:

I cook, he cleans...

Match made in heaven.

Once read a quote: "A clean house is a sign of a boring woman."

I say, "A smart woman marries a man who cleans the house for her."

I'm sure twi would probably brand my husband as "having no balls" and me as a "domineering b**** " Oh well.

Im very tidy

I cleanup once a year whether it needs it or it doesnt <_<

I dont have a show home---If JC ever came to my house and was too offended to enter--well he better go work on himself a little more and get over it--Im plenty comfortable here

WWJS?

JC-"Oh, ye of little sweeping! Wherefore art thou broom and dustpan?"

Me-"But Jesus I live right by the beach, sand happens."

JC-"A wise man builds his house upon a rock."

Me-"We use concrete these days and aren't you used to dirt floors"

JC-"Well, when you put it that way... break out the wine and bread! "

Me-"Please don't say White Zin."

JC-"Now THAT, my brother, would be a sin!"

We both laugh.

*pop* goes the cork

and scene!

i think jesus would be all

"the whloe of the law involves love, im sure youve read when i said that, so all of this clean up stuff is really only advice... but if i step on another sewing pin, im leaving"

Jesus would just sit next to the laundry basket and hang out,and play with my grandkids and say

the dishes can wait but these little childrenare only little once. Cherish the moment!

Being that Jesus is pretty good at cleaning things, I would hand Him a mop.

And a paintbrush. The kitchen could sure use a new coat of paint.

Then I could treat Him to lunch at Abbott's seafood restaurant, on the shore.

But seriously though - if any bearded hippy sporting a robe and sandals came to your door -

how would you know it's "Jesus"?

Glow-the-dark eyeballs?

An angelic choir singing in the background?

Too cliche. He'll need to prove himself.

If however, he could clean my entire house in the space of 5 minutes - that would be a miracle...

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

I'm the husband who does most of the cleaning at my house, kinda like Java Jane's husband.

My dad was and still is a neat freak; some of it rubbed off on me! Mainly I just like to be able to find things when I'm looking for them.

When I was in TWI we homeschooled six children and I had my office in the house; it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to keep the house tidy.

When I am in the presence of my Lord and Savior, the LAST thing I'm going to be thinking about is whether I remembered to scrub out and dry the kitchen sink.

And I think He would just smile and say, "Hey, don't worry about that stuff. It's your heart I'm interested in, not dust bunnies!"

WG

If Jesus comes in the wintertime, I'll be in a bind, because Abbotts will be closed for the season.

I hope he doesn't mind fish-sticks and tater-tots, along with a simmering bowl of Snow's clam chowder.

And if he can do that multiplying the fish-stick trick, that would be a great blessing for our grocery bill.

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

I really enjoy living in a clean, neat environment.

Unfortunately, that does not describe my home most days.

It's not that I don't care... its just that it is no longer my number one priority. (neither is what other people may think about it)

JC - "Where'd these Greasespots come from?"

me - "From TWI!"

JC - "I say to you Greasespots...be healed!"

Seriously, when there is too much immaculate living, at least for me, it is a sign of spiritual uncleanness and trying to keep the cup and platter clean on the outside, while the inside is filthy.

After I left TWI, it was soooooo therapeutic that I let my home go to a total mess before cleaning it up. I never felt so free!

So glad nobody ticked that they keep their place immaculate!!

I often wondered how tidy the home in which the young Jesus was. There was him, a mom, a dad, quite a number of siblings; and as a great crowd of them went off to Jerusalem (such that the young Jesus's absence was not noticed), it might be that there were a number of cousins or at least friends wandering in and out the house. Any family with a home with (let's say) 6 resident kids hardly has it immaculate all the time unless kids' sticky fingers are a recent invention.

And (yes, Oakspear) - the workplace (carpenter's workshop) may well also have been attached to the residence.

Dan - I reckon he wouldn't be in a robe and sandals but in a pair of Levi's and a T shirt. Perhaps using a motorbike.

Great posts all, a decent dose of realism.

"Levis and a t-shirt"

Just that he would dress like other young men of our day and time. He wasn't the only one wandering around in a long dress, sorry, robe, in his day and time.

D'ya reckon he would be the kind of guy (in our time) who would help with the washing up or shoving the vacuum cleaner round? (probably women's work when he was walking the Earth).

I reckon he was good with kids though. Younger siblings would help with that. Not fazed by baby sh**, or puke over his shoulder.