GreaseSpot Cafe

Is suicide a sin?

• 2 weeks later...

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances (the Law) that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Does it matter?

1Cr 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Let's just say that it's not a good idea.

Edited by Caveman

God first

Beloved fooledagainII

God loves you my dear friend

the question is which kind of sin suicide is?

suicide is a sin against life but not God

there is only one sin against God

others are errors to ourself self natural design - life

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

I appreciate the exploration of suicide

My Moms best friend did this...

My Mom knew this lady for about 30 years! They were always best of friends. This lady said around 1960..."If Castro invades Florida I'll get my gun and shoot my family and myself"

#1 Her husband died a few years ago

#2 She moved in with her daughter in Arizona

#3 She was miserable there so moved back to Florida

#4 She was going blind from Macular Degeneration, and living alone in a nice condo

#5 She was found having committed suicide with a small pistol that she owned

I attended her wake last year.....I didnt say anything but have been troubled since I was raised a Catholic....

Who has the right to take a life, but God? I also realize that not everyone is connected to God or His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ and therefore sometimes life might appear hopeless and so the only alternative for them is to end their life. Or perhaps they are in great physical pain and they know that death is inevitable, so why continue to suffer? Yet, excluding war, I do not believe that anyone should end life, even their own. How will God judge this? I do not know. I would only say that if you know someone who has committed suicide, to say a prayer for them and to ask the Lord to have mercy on them. Perhaps this is what Paul was speaking about in Corinthians when he remarked about praying for the dead, and even baptizing them in good faith. Who knows? We'll find out on the other side, I dare say.

• 2 weeks later...

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

So, if you willingly sacrifice yourself - say, you are the last in a dangerous place, "holding the fort" while your friends/colleagues escape, knowing that you yourself would not escape but that death was certain - would that be suicide? What about a soldier in a war situation?

What where someone is suffering from a terminal and very painful illness? If they manage to kill themselves and die a month before the illness would have killed them - is that a sin? TWI would say that they did not believe to be made whole. That seems a fatuous and belittling answer.

Judas went out and "hanged himself" but there's no record that anyone jumped up and down and said, "devil spirits" - they just got on and did what they believed was necessary - appointing another to take his place.

Back up a bit. Is despair a sin? Because that's why people commit (a "leading" word) suicide. Or not permitting one's burden to be shared, not talking about the problem?

Would not a greater sin be not noticing someone's despair?

If it is a sin, Jesus Christ died to take away the sins of the world. Of which suicide would be just one of trillions and gazillions.

Who has the right to take a life, but God?

Does God "take" life?

1 Cor 15:24 Then cometh the end, when he (JC) shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

I thought death was an enemy of God's, not one of his blessings.

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

So, if you willingly sacrifice yourself - say, you are the last in a dangerous place, "holding the fort" while your friends/colleagues escape, knowing that you yourself would not escape but that death was certain - would that be suicide? What about a soldier in a war situation?

What where someone is suffering from a terminal and very painful illness? If they manage to kill themselves and die a month before the illness would have killed them - is that a sin? TWI would say that they did not believe to be made whole. That seems a fatuous and belittling answer.

Sacrificing yourself by "laying down your life for others" would not "technically" suicide, else Jesus committed suicide as well. As far as war, I said "excluding war" because sometimes soldiers "lay down their lives for their comrades" in battle situations.

Ending it all even a month before your illness would have taken you is presuming that it would. What if the cure is found the day after? They do have morphine and self administered pumps.

Judas went out and "hanged himself" but there's no record that anyone jumped up and down and said, "devil spirits" - they just got on and did what they believed was necessary - appointing another to take his place.

It's just not recorded. When the Bible is silent on an issue, it doesn't give one the right to insert their own beliefs.

Back up a bit. Is despair a sin? Because that's why people commit (a "leading" word) suicide. Or not permitting one's burden to be shared, not talking about the problem?

Would not a greater sin be not noticing someone's despair?

If it is a sin, Jesus Christ died to take away the sins of the world. Of which suicide would be just one of trillions and gazillions.

Does God "take" life?

1 Cor 15:24 Then cometh the end, when he (JC) shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

I thought death was an enemy of God's, not one of his blessings.

Yes, God takes life. One can read the OT and see references to the earth opening up, etc.