GreaseSpot Cafe

Level of interest in the Bible (before and after TWI)

JustThinking

Your interest in the Bible before/after TWI  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What was the ultimate impact of TWI on your interest in the Bible?

• I was interested before but lost it after TWI
    • I left with as much interest as before
    • I have more interest than before I joined TWI
    • Other (Is there a third choice?)

It seems to me that "the structure provided by religion" FEEDS many of our "baser impulses"...

Personally, I would rather enjoy the freedom of my own spirituality rather than the confines of a religious institution...but that's just me. It's my opinion that religion in general has been a massive failure throughout man's history...a cursory glance at the number of people who have been killed in the name of God...and the millions who have been and still are in the mental prisons provided by relgious structures, indicates that our "baser impulses" are thriving within the confines of religion.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that "the structure provided by religion" FEEDS many of our "baser impulses"...

Personally, I would rather enjoy the freedom of my own spirituality rather than the confines of a religious institution...but that's just me. It's my opinion that religion in general has been a massive failure throughout man's history...a cursory glance at the number of people who have been killed in the name of God...and the millions who have been and still are in the mental prisons provided by relgious structures, indicates that our "baser impulses" are thriving within the confines of religion.

After reading Karen Armstrong's A History of God I tend to agree.

I said other because I was born into it - so any interest I had in the Bible was really just crammed down my throat. I guess when I was very little I thought everything was pretty fun because my parents protected me and we were in a nice area with other families and their children. In that sort of environment it was a little easier to enjoy myself and "learn" stuff.

Once I got out I had some passing fancy to look into the Bible for myself (pretty funny considering we were all supposed to be researchers eh?) - until I just gave up on it all together. I guess I'm just having a hard time believing any of it right now. It just seems like a waste of time.