GreaseSpot Cafe

Hi, all gardeners

kimberly

Is it Trumpet Vine?

I have scads of them growing all over my yard. They're so attractive, I have to remind myself they are weeds.

I looked around the net for the particular shrub but couldn't find it. It looks similar to a fuchsia, but its evergreen and only flowers once, which is a shame. It is similar in flower to your pretty trumpet vine but isn't a vine and hangs more like this fuchsia. I do have a fuchsia that has smilar blooms and my neighbor says its is indeed a fuchsia, but I don't think so.

I love this!!!! Folks sharing with and helping one another.

me too!

gc

Edited by gc

I like that shrub! :) Not it though, both the flowers and leaves are different. When it blooms I'll get a picture of it, though it really resembles a fuchsia in leaf and flower.

Could it be WIEGELA?

It's not evergreen but it only blooms once.

gc

At last, I have my first vegetables down in part of my raised bed! We aren't finished filling it with soil, but did manage to fill 1/3 of it. So, in that 1/3 I planted some parsnip and beet seeds (or beet root, as my husband says :)), lettuce, yellow onion and spinach. All of my young cabbage have died and most of my cauliflower too. Even my brussels sprounts had a tough time of it, I lost two of those also. On the other hand most of the broccoli has done well, but in anticipation of loosing that too I went ahead and planted more of all four. They have sprouted and are looking good and healthy.

I'm almost tempted to grow my tomatoes inside, there are times I would love to have a greenhouse. The bell peppers are healthy, but I hate to condemn them to death by eventually putting them outside.

gc

gc, your parsnips will probably go well - if you leave them long enough they will seed and if you let them seed they will go crazy all over the garden! (Nice yellow flower/umbellifer, though).

The beetroot are quick to germinate and grow. Pick them when small and tender, a bit bigger than a golf ball but much smaller than a tennis ball.

Last year the collared doves ate the growing tips from my brassicas (cauli, cabbage and brussels sprouts) - experienced gardeners recommend netting them (more work for you!). They would go for broccoli, too. I grew some purple curly kale later on in the year but they didn't go for that.

Have a go with perpetual spinach (chard) - you will be very impressed with the results.

I have been out in my garden or on my patio (deck) quite a bit lately and I have noticed quite a lot of wasps about (wasps, not bees). Don't know where they are coming from.

I have just started letting my cats out under supervision (see "Cat Whispering! thread) and they love these little fast-moving things. So far they haven't caught one but it may only be a matter of time. I do not want to even think about that scenario.

Anybody got any good ideas for wasp deterrence? I could persuade them to fly around in another part of the garden, but I don't really want them elsewhere, either.

Twinky, I think the chard is a good idea. if I don't grow it this year, then definately next year.

I've had loads of insects flying around my yard also, but not wasps. At first I thought they could be hoover flies, but not that either. Between the bluebells, tulips, violas, cherry blossoms, flowers on fruit bushes, violets and primulas they are having a hayday! I have to watch my dog with the flying insects, he is the fastest fly catcher around. No idea how to get rid of them without killing them.

gc

Twinky, I think the chard is a good idea. if I don't grow it this year, then definately next year.

Not too late for chard!!!!! It's a fast grower and if you keep trimming the tops you will get crop through the mid fall - depending on where you live.

I have bulbs up and some perineal herbs, but it is still too early to plant here. We had 8 inches of snow last weekend. We do have lots of starter plants in pots and I usually get a ton of bedding plants on mother's day--but we have to cover them at night. Some of our raised beds have pvc tube arches which are handy for a quick cover up.

Alright, Leafy, rub it in chicken mama!! I can take it. Oh, my Lordy sakes alive!!! There is hardly anything more precious than baby chicks. Keep us informed.

Bramble, bless your heart. Snow this time of year. I can't imagine.

Everybody is flourishing so with their planting posts. There is something so satisfying, intoxicating, and medicinal about working the soil and tending to the crops.

Bramble, which bulbs do you have in bloom? I love bulbs, put them in the ground and the following year they are up and making a show :) In the South of the US I had trouble with most bulbs, if they bloomed, then they would rot before the next year. My tulips and daffodils gave me a beautiful show this year and my lilys and irises are greening out nicely.

Sorry to hear you just had snow, when is your last frost usually?

gc

I have pink tulips, white hyacinth and grape hyacinth up right now, but I have had crocus and those little dark blue cluster flowers(don't know what they are called)since March. We are in the Rockies, our last frost date is June 6. Normally we can plant earlier than that but we have to keep an eye on the weather. We start seedlings in March, especially peppers and tomatoes, and put them out when they are quite large.

Hubby had a job offer in so Colorado, on the west slope where they can grow peaches etc. It is tempting!

Bramble, which bulbs do you have in bloom? I love bulbs, put them in the ground and the following year they are up and making a show :) In the South of the US I had trouble with most bulbs, if they bloomed, then they would rot before the next year.

If you ever find yourself back in the south again gc - dig your bulbs up in late November and leave in an open basket in a dark and dry place (utility room closet is a good choice). The dark and dry will keep them from trying to re-grow until you plant and water them in the spring.

Hey Rum, when I move back to the south I'll have to ask you what to do with bulbs. I'm know I'll remember that something can be done, just not what can be done. Thanks!

Bramble, Is it absolutely beautiful living in the Rockies? I can't image!

gc

Bramble, I often dream of having a daffodil garden. When we bought this property 13 years ago, it was owned by holly bushes, that I am sure were radiation mutants due to their size, honeysuckle (not a bad thing) and of all things irises. Dig up iris, throw it in a pile and it will continue to grow and bloom. Over the years I have landscaped it where I want it. The variety of colors are magnificent.

Kimberly, I've been thinking about adding both irises and daffodils(I have a few of each). We are redoing our back yard into beds, so I might just make one for iris and daffodils this fall.

I love living near mountains. Probably my favorite place to be is in an alpine meadow in early summer when all the wild flowers are in bloom.

I love living near mountains. Probably my favorite place to be is in an alpine meadow in early summer when all the wild flowers are in bloom.

I do love alpines. I have a purple flowering one growing over a garden wall and a beautiful white one out of a pot of heather. An alpine meadow must be beautiful!

leafy, I'm almost ready to plant out my tomatoes. I've grown two types this year, one is called Money Maker which is supposed to do very well in the garden. I can't remember the other seed I bought, but it does better in a green house, and ok in the garden.

Rum, I don't think you mentioned what you are growing this year?

gc

gc,

How goes the Fuschia? Saw one at the nursery today.

Hey Kimberly, The fuchsia is doing pretty good. Two of the three plants have made it. I check on both, like you check on a baby, everyday to see if there are new leaf buds ;) The section I've made into a standard seems to be stronger and it looks like there are two young shoots comming up from the roots, which really surprised me. The second one, which I put into my herbaceous bed, is not doing as well as the standard. I'm hoping that it is just taking a little longer to sprout leave buds. Both seem to have at least one branch that is completely bare still. Fingers crossed!

gc

OK - this post has nothing to do with your gardens - just a marvel at plants.

Over two years ago I had some shrubs and bushes removed...previous owners didn't plant them properly nor raise them properly on the lattices and I needed surgery and could not provide them decent care either.

For TWO years nothing happens - all ripped out - then - somehow - a couple of sprigs push up from the dirt - this from plants which do NOT replicate from root trailers (Bougainvillea, miniature roses and more).

A) Way too cool for my simple head

B) I get to raise them from scratch properly

While I detest movies, TV etc; and I hate to sound trite; I can't help but remember a line from the first Jurassic Park movie (yes I have children - although all "growed" up now) where the fellow says, "Life will find a way."