GreaseSpot Cafe

Hi, all gardeners

kimberly

Try tomato cages - very cool little device - as tomato grows it grows in, up and around the guide wires of the basket. And...the big plus...no work!!!

I have never had to stake the corn.. i think because it grows up with the wind blowing it so it's roots and stalk compensate for the wind. Now tomato plants those I have to stake and use guide wires to keep them upright in the wind especiially when they are full of fruit.

Leafy, thanks for the link :)

The first time I grew corn the stalks were blown down by wind. I was so disappointed! Some of the corn was harvested before the wind blew them down. They were beautiful standing so tall in the middle of my back yard. and they were so delicious. Neighbors used to stop and ask me about it all the time.

gc

Try tomato cages - very cool little device - as tomato grows it grows in, up and around the guide wires of the basket. And...the big plus...no work!!!

LOL that is what I attach the guide wires to the tomato cages.. we have really strong winds. all summer long once the tomato plants get full of tomatoes the wind blows them and the tomato cages over .. okay not completely over but tilted at a 45 degree angle.

So I tie them togeter and then try to stake them to something more stable. Sometimes they are fine but usually they get blown over.

Leafy, thanks for the link :)

The first time I grew corn the stalks were blown down by wind. I was so disappointed! Some of the corn was harvested before the wind blew them down. They were beautiful standing so tall in the middle of my back yard. and they were so delicious. Neighbors used to stop and ask me about it all the time.

gc

Wow GC you have even worse wind than we do.... I have gotten seed from that company.. they have some unusual heritage plants and some really fun ones too. One of the local Garden shops carried them. Unfortunately they(the shop went out of business)

"What is that beautiful bush with the white flowers?"

It looks like it might be an ABELIA.

waysider, That isn't the shrub I have in the picture, BUT I'm rooting a few pieces of a pretty flowered bush that I snagged from a neighbor's yard that looks like that. It has small pale pinkish white trumpet shaped flowers all over the bush when its in bloom. I wondered what it was called. :)

I think I found my white flowered shrub. I believe it is one of the Sprieas.

Leafy, I'm originally from the New Orleans area and its not a windy city, normally. But a couple of times a year it is not unheard of to get a very windy day. One time the wind was so strong that it bent my car door back on its hinges and it wasn't hurricane season! Where I live now the wind comes straight up the hill into our back garden and sometimes it is a gale force wind.

gc

Bridal Veil spirea is one of my fondest memories. My grandparents had a huge hedge down one side of the back of their properity, which was probably about 2 1/2 acres total. It was all barberry, nasty thorny things, but there was this one stretch close to the house of bridal veil spirea that was absolutely beautiful when it was in bloomd. I loved it for its pretty little clusters of flowers, like a tiny doll's bouquet and also for the fact it did not reach out to scratch small arms.

I think of my precious grandmother every time I see one of those in bloom!

WG

Hi all, just looking in after a long absence. :wave:

I have been the usual idle slob and not got onto the garden as much as I should have done but nonetheless am making up for lost time. I have things sown in starter boxes and pots and they are sprouting nicely.

My cabbage from last year is still in the ground, but it's all bolted and is about 3ft high, very funny. I have broken off the flowers but have left it in the ground for the time being because I pull off a few leaves to cook every now and again.

I need to get some mangetout peas, they're so nice. Peas are nice anyway but a lot of space is needed for little result (cheaper to go to the shop!!) but something different like mangetout (expensive to buy) would be worthwhile.

I read what you all posted about garlic and probably I'm too late now but my garlic planted ... nearly this time last year (gulp) is still in the ground and growing well.

Just before autumn (fall) I cleared out four leylandii trees. They were pretty big and they are now out, roots and all. I dug compost and horse manure into the soil before leaving it for the winter. If nothing else, it supports chickweed (prolifically). At present am uncertain if this part of the garden will remain a shrub border with some new shrubs, or if I will set it to veges.

I also want to re-shape the border on my lawn because there is no room for plants that I do want to have in the garden, flowers and shrubs and some such.

I was given some raspberry bushes last autumn and they all failed. I got some more a few weeks ago and they are now all showing signs of growth, which is pleasing.

Time my beans went in, too. Perhaps this weekend.

Need to move the compost heap, will put the mature compost into the bean trench with some hoss muck and the beans should go beautifully. I like beans. Runner beans, that is.

I planted chard last year and that has cropped and cropped and cropped and cropped.... not sure whether just to leave it where it is or to sow some more seed elsewhere. Some of it must go to flower/seed, presumably.

gc, I might be down your way sometime soon. We shall have to see if we can swap some "babies".

Bridal Veil Spirea? I have Bridal Veil Spirea but it appears, gc, your flowers are larger than mine...sniff, sniff.

Well, I am going to gloat. I had the most fabulously glorious day. I worked in my garden for about 6 hours. The ground was just right. I did get 9 mater plants in. I was made for days like this...the warmth of the sun, the birds singing, the intoxicating aroma of spring in the air... Seriously, there is something rejuvenating about getting out and working the soil, the garden....

There is an area along the backside of the house that has always been a sore spot with me. The Labs love to lay up against the brick of the house in that area. Consequently, it looks slobby. Lily has all her chewed toys lying from one end to the other in that area.

Last fall I did manage to plant a Liriope border for that area. Today, I turned all the soil from the border to the house. One by one I picked up Lily's spent toys. She was hot on my feet snooping and investigating why I was rearranging her play area. She sat gazing at me with a forlorn look after I got rid of her mess. I felt bad and found a stuffed animal for her to pick apart. It looks like it has snowed in the backyard. I will pick it up tomorrow. Or maybe, the next day.

The herb garden is in. I moved and expanded it and transplanted the tarragon, oregano and thyme to it. I left the huge rosemary bush where it was. She was my first herb garden plant and she is the mother. I ain't messin with her. There is also flat leaf parsley, cilantro, dill, basil, and pineapple sage. The pineapple sage is for show. If you have never planted pineapple sage, you must. The bush gets quite large. The aroma is out of this world. The prize is the beautiful long red flowery spikes it sets out. Spectacular. In the right soil conditions it will re-seed.

Let me tell you what I learned about corn from my grandpa. You know they were farmers and raised hundreds of acres of corn. Corn has to be "hilled." The stalk is spindly. The roots do not grow down as much as they grow out. For the home garden, starting when the stalk is about 3 feet tall, you have to take your hoe and pull soil up and around the base of the stalk. This supports the stalk. That is why the rows end up very deep and are planted no less than 3 feet apart.

Grandpa did the same but with his tractor. I can still see the attachment but do not remember the name. It plowed deep into the rows and pushed the soil up around the base of the stalk.

My dearest memories as a child is running barefoot through those corn fields.

Kimberly I am completely Jealous... I love gardening days... I want a herb garden now.. and I have added pineapple sage to the list of must have plants.

Hugs and happy gardening weekend to you.

Leafy

P.s. one of my hens is nesting on eggs... two weeks to baby chicks, if all goes well.

Kimberly I am completely Jealous... I love gardening days... I want a herb garden now.. and I have added pineapple sage to the list of must have plants.

Herb garden - a MUST MUST MUST - smells gorgeous, about 30-100 times cheaper than buying DRIED herbs in stores, therapeutic to work in the herb garden in the early morning when the herb smells permeate the planting area - I can think of nothing but superlatives about herb gardens. OK OK - ya gotta be careful your rosemary doesn't take over your house and ya gotta plant mint in pots or it will overtake your entire city in 3 days and nights when it rises from the root runners...

I used to plant spearmint, peppermint and lemon grass at strategic locations in my lawn so that every time I mowed, I could savor the aroma. It makes an otherwise tedious chore somewhat enjoyable. I'm not sure how I got away from that, but I think I may have to consider doing it again.

Edited by waysider

Okay regarding the mint I keep it mostly at bay in the dry clay soil we have here... I planted lemon Balm which actually is trying to take over my garden but I love it .. IT smells like lemon pledge.

I can also highly recommend Catmint which is smaller than cat nip... and smells herbally/florally and makes you feel quite relaxed.

I have some herbs but I would love a formal herb garden. Hmmmm now where could I fit that in?

waysider, years ago, before I realized the reproduction cycle of mint, I planted it in a part of the garden. Yikes!!! I would mow over it and the aroma was intoxicating. Evidently, the mower blew strategic parts of the reproductive organs over to the back part of the house I wrote about earlier. Horrible soil...dry hard clay. What do ya think has found a home there? I left the mint there yesterday as I dug. I figured it has earned its place. It almost looks like it is growing out of the brick of the house. Amazing plant life.

Rabbits will not take over the world, mint will. Actually, I think mint will outlive roaches.

waysider, years ago, before I realized the reproduction cycle of mint, I planted it in a part of the garden. Yikes!!! I would mow over it and the aroma was intoxicating. Evidently, the mower blew strategic parts of the reproductive organs over to the back part of the house I wrote about earlier. Horrible soil...dry hard clay. What do ya think has found a home there? I left the mint there yesterday as I dug. I figured it has earned its place. It almost looks like it is growing out of the brick of the house. Amazing plant life.

Rabbits will not take over the world, mint will. Actually, I think mint will outlive roaches.

LOL Kimberly I just totally cracked up because it is so true.

better add Jupiter's beard and lemon balm to that list.

Kimberly, maybe that is why my corn was knocked down by the wind, I didn't build up the base of the corn stalks.

It rained all weekend for me. But, I still managed to get the small section of my raised vegetable bed filled in and ready for planting. Since it rained and it plans on raining through Tuesday, the bed will be well watered. Metcheck says there will be sun on Wednesday, which will be perfect for planting YEA!! I have white onions, green onions, lettuce, spinach, courgette, beets, parsnips and Tomatoes (third try is the charm, right?) growing and ready to go in! Of course not all of this will fit into the small section, but it will be wonderful to get some in the ground. Next weekend we tackle the large section. I can't wait :dance: Then onto our next project! :biglaugh:

Has anyone every tried copper to keep slugs and snails out of your borders?

leafy, I WISH there was room for chickens! My husband and I are talking about getting a hedgehog for the garden.

gc

edited to say something to leafy :)

Edited by gc

Has anyone every tried copper to keep slugs and snails out of your borders?

I have no experience with using pure copper (which would seem quite pricey) - however you should be aware that a lot of "so-called" copper for slugs is actually copper arsenate which is highly toxic to humans as well as your pets - chickens etc. It will kill the snails for sure - and leave its "afterglow" in your body. BTW it is not only highly toxic it is a carcinogen as well.

Go look at the pressure treated timbers at your lumber store - you know those 6X6's we all think would make our raised gardens look pretty...look closely - you will see warning tags all over them - about every 2 feet on an 8 foot timber. The lumber will NOT be eaten by snails, termites, or anything else - it will last longer than you will - but copper arsenate is leeching into the soil with every rain.

This is the same stuff you can buy in pellet form for snails...no thanks.

I did get some stuff from a local nursery that worked well and is listed as non-toxic to humans all though there were warnings about small animals.

Edited by RumRunner

BEER!!

I've had great success in the past using beer as a slug controller.

All you do is bury a small container, such as a cottage cheese container, up to the rim. Fill it with beer and you're good to go. The slugs will climb in for a swig and drown. It does take a bit of maintenance, as rain will dilute the beer and render it ineffective. Another good method of slug control is the introduction of a Box Tortoise. They will eat every slug in sight. Of course, they will eat a tomato or two as their pay. Also, you have to be quite clever about keeping them contained to the area, as they are very talented at digging their way out and can even climb some fences.

Hello again!

Kimberly, you crack me up with your mint description! Too true! And lemon balm is a close second, but much loved by bees.

I've heard copper tape well spoken of, but not tried it. You should see the slugs we have round here (well, no, you shouldn't; they're so ugly, shudder) - great big mid-brown things and they are usually well over 6" in length. How much of MY veges do they need to get that big? There are smaller black slugs too. And snails in quite pretty colours.

It has been dry as dust here for the last month or so. No rain at all. But last night it started, nice and gentle, rained gently for about 12 hours, a good cloudburst at lunch time today, and now bright sunshine. Perfect for giving those weeds a good start!

I finally attacked my yukka over the weekend. It was a big mature plant, lots of "heads" on it, very stylish ... and completely out of place in a cottage garden. Occupied a lot of space for little return - and provided lots of hiding places for slugs and snails. I finally sawed it down and the shrub border has really opened up. Am amazed at how much space it took.

Now I need to work over the whole shrub border (which also had 4 greatly overgrown leylandii in it till last Sept/Oct) - there is a lot of ground elder (pernicious weed) in the border which I knocked back last year with Round-Up, but it is coming through again. I think all I can do is keep digging over and digging over and removing as much root as I can.

Once I have done that, I have a number of shrubs to put in the border, some rescued from before the leylandii removal. I might extend the vege garden into some of the shrub border where the yukka was. Maybe.

I have a border on one side of the lawn and I plan on widening that too.

Decisions, decisions....

Twinky, are they flowering shrubs you are putting in that border? I'm guessing they are, so what kinds are they? I've just widened my border also. I have a rose bush, 2 young Helleborus and one shrub that the flowers look like a trumpet flowered fuschia (not a fuschia though). I've put in a small sage and another rose which is only a year old, grown from a long stemmed rose a year ago, which is hidden behind the tulips. Once the tulips are finished I want to put in a few flowering perinnials, not sure what else yet.

That rain was very gentle here also, but did you get all that wind too? It knocked down my Peris about 4 times and ended up breaking off two young branches. Everything got a wonderful soaking!

RumRunner, the copper I was talking about is a copper tape. It doesn't poison the slugs it give them an electrical shock without killing them.

gc