GreaseSpot Cafe

What do you pay for gas?

Caveman

I paid $4.29.9 yesterday for regular

It was $130.00 to fill my work truck

HERE is an article frombefore the prices took off

Exxon shatters profit records

Oil giant makes corporate history by booking $11.7 billion in quarterly profit; earns $1,300 a second in 2007.

February 1 2008: 2:26 PM EST

Exxon Mobil booked the biggest quarterly and annual profits in U.S. corporate history Friday, helped by higher oil prices.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Exxon Mobil made history on Friday by reporting the highest quarterly and annual profits ever for a U.S. company, boosted in large part by soaring crude prices.

Exxon, the world's largest publicly traded oil company, said fourth-quarter net income rose 14% to $11.66 billion

just to repeat ...Thats 11.66 BILLION they profitted in three months

then.. they raised prices

$4.07

we are always a higher than a town 2 hours away. ... all 100 (or whatever) stations in town change their prices at the same time to the exact same price. One lady on the news said they found it worked better that way. An investigation found nothing ... <_<

just to repeat ...Thats 11.66 BILLION they profitted in three months

then.. they raised prices

You mean Exxon? They don't control the price ... we need more domestic drilling ... to lessen the stranglehold OPEC has over US. As other countries that ARE producing keep more of their own, and export less, it will only get worse for US unless we increase our own production.

Prices have been going up for some time, what do you mean "then they raised prices"?

$11.66 billion sounds like a lot, but considering the extreme rise in oil, is it surprising. And Yahoo was just offered $47.5 billion for their silly little search engine business ...

Some feel "we" need to pay more to force these other windy solutions ... to some, all fossil fuels are evil and must be stopped. The green movement that has cleaned our air and water from the 70's has had to come up with something to keep the movement alive.

Anyway ... those "evil" oil companies would increase US production if they could. I haven't checked these numbers exactly, but I have no reason to doubt they are correct.

Congressman Roy Blunt put together these data to highlight the differences between House Republicans and House Democrats on energy policy:

ANWR Exploration

House Republicans: 91% Supported

House Democrats: 86% Opposed

Coal-to-Liquid

House Republicans: 97% Supported

House Democrats: 78% Opposed

Oil Shale Exploration

House Republicans: 90% Supported

House Democrats: 86% Opposed

Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Exploration

House Republicans: 81% Supported

House Democrats: 83% Opposed

Refinery Increased Capacity

House Republicans: 97% Supported

House Democrats: 96% Opposed

Edited by rhino

You mean Exxon? They don't control the price
Actually they do, Exxon-Mobil has approximately 12,000 stations on a computerized system and dictate the prices to the individual station owners. This has been reported in a number of articles over the last few years...I have actually been standing at the pump when a manager has come and changed the pump prices on orders from the managers from the corporate offices.
Prices have been going up for some time, what do you mean "then they raised prices"?

I mean "then they raised prices".

Although we hear a lot on the news daily about the prices for barrels of crude oil, the price at the pump has not been going up equal to the price of crude oil-- but at a much higher rate.

Exxon has stated it has been able to offset much of the higher price by reducing its refining costs .

Although crude oil is high, the difference between the raw costs of oil and the sale price to consumers has never been higher, hence the highest profit margins in history.

Thats what I mean by "raising prices".

....and...

...If you want to debate something political about this--we probably ought to move it over to the other room and leave these good folks here in peace :)

Edited by mstar1

I don't know how much of their profits are from what they charge at the pump ...but I would bet most of their profits are from the oil coming out of the ground, and they don't control that price.

Exxon is not out of line with other companies ... prices have been going up steadily ... it is mostly due to the price of crude. Sure they control their own station price, but they have to compete. Bumpy says it is more than double in Europe.

You say prices at the pump are not going up with prices of crude ... BUT.

at the pump ... prices have gone from $1 to $4

out of the ground ... oil has gone from $10 to $135.

So at the pump has only gone up 400%, while crude has gone up 1300%. If you want price at the pump to go up with crude, we would have $13/gallon at the pump. Is that better? :o

I just found this for the last couple years, but for 2007 oil averaged $68/brl ... now it is $135. So for 2007, the crude portion was $1.62, now it would be $3.24. This means the non-crude price has gone down from $1.18/gallon to $0.80/gallon. Thank goodness Exxon is working to save us so much money. :eusa_clap:

It would seem the price at the pump is actually lagging the current price of crude, maybe because of what is already in the pipeline, so to speak.

gas_pumps.png

Mexico produces a surplus ... and they charge something like half what we pay ... but that is "subsidized" I suppose. Still, we could produce a lot more of our own, while also developing alternatives.

Edited by rhino

$3.85-3.95 locally, though Houston runs about a dime higher. I'm thankful I don't own a diesel. Remember when diesel was CHEAPER than gas?

It's funny (in a sad way). Now, if I use a credit card at the pump, it automatically shuts off at $75, I think because the system automatically "reserves" $75 when you use a card. My wife has overdrawn her balance in the bank when a gas station "reserved" $75 on her bank card, even though the actual purchase was about $30. Until a month or so ago, I never had to worry about $75 being enough to fill the tank.

George

$4.149/gallon at the station closest to my home.

I also have been taking the bus a great deal and therefore cutting down drastically on the amount of gas I use.

I'm looking at ads for motorcycles and scooters... perhaps in the fall, I'll buy one of those two wheel contraptions to expand my transportation/time flexibility while minimizing my consumption of petroleum distillates.

£1.18 (that's about US$2.40) - for a litre - that's about 1/4 gallon.

Of which, a little over 50% is taxes of various kinds.

Very useful, having a pedal cycle...

...though not very practical in Texas or Alaska.

Those Segways are looking pretty good... ;)

Top speed 12mph. Fun to ride (and I have ridden one), but not practical for getting from place to place.

They can be useful for getting around a small campus type of facility, however.

The security folks at the local VA medical center have at least one. But they also have bicycles.

Frankly, after seeing them introduced back in 2002 or 2003, we haven't seen them proliferate at nearly the rate necessary for them to catch on a something reasonable to spend the $5k+ on...

You have to pay for gas? I get it for next to nothing anytime I dare eat "Mexican" :)..

Petrol is going for about $3.75 in the Mid-South.

sudo

Try BEANO..I LIKE MEXICAN FOOD HAHAHA

no really 4.20 in PA

£1.18 (that's about US$2.40) - for a litre - that's about 1/4 gallon.

Of which, a little over 50% is taxes of various kinds.

Very useful, having a pedal cycle...

...though not very practical in Texas or Alaska.

I have two bicycles. One, which I enjoy riding, is a recumbent. But it's HOT here these days... (nearly 9pm and it's still 100+ degrees outside) AND I can't take the 'bent with me on the bus around town. That's because the wheelbase is too long. The busses have bike racks on the front of them, but do not accommodate 'bents.

I also have a very cheap and ill-fitting 15 speed traditional bike. It's cumbersome for me to ride, but I can easily get to the bus stop (about a mile from my house) and get to where I need to go most days. But it takes a long time.

However, I HAVE cut my auto fuel usage in roughly half so far this month. I filled up on payday (once/month) and have only used 1/4 tank. I used to use about a half tank in the same time... and I wasn't even going very far then.

Long story short (or cutting to the chase), that's why I want to get a motorcycle and start getting upwards of 80-100 miles/gallon.

$3.92 in Orlando.

I usually check www.gasbuddy.com or some other price watch site when it's time to fill up.

We got $50 gas cards from work as a "thank you" and a "we feel your pain" mid-year surprise this year. I was figuring it would fill up the tank on about $40 but - no dice - the entire $50 did not fill up my tank. :( I'm just real thankful that I don't have one of those gas guzzling SUVs or land yachts that cost a fortune to fill.

The profits of the oil companies is indeed infuriating as is the fact that the US has known this was coming but never allocated the resources toward dealing with it and/or coming up with alternative fuel sources. :realmad: That, and we're all a bunch of Not in My Back Yard whiners when it comes to building new refineries and drilling sites.

Do any of you hypermile?

Edited by Belle