GreaseSpot Cafe

How did Corp assignments work?

fooledagainII

Here's a very nosey question but it was something I alway wondered about. How did the Corp get their assignment? Were you given a choice or was it a big surprise?

Did anyone (be honest, I won't tell anyone) not like their area? Could you request places?

While I'm at it, what happened if you didn't show up for Corp Week?

I remember them giving us a questionnaire of sorts... asked us what we hoped to do with our futures (secular, too) and that sort of thing. And one of the corps coordinators sat down with us to go over our answers. (we met with J@qu* H0rn*y) I don't remember many of the details, really. But we were told they took our answers into consideration. We were also told they found out what needs were out on the field from the limb leaders and basically tried to match the corps to the needs. Supposedly they listened to God while doing this so it all lined up just right.

I remember when they read our location/assignment out to us, hubby and I were stunned it was so unexpected. We knew absolutely NOTHING about this area. However, we soon learned it was a favorite twi-location as several of our acquaintances had spent time there as WOWs and LightBearers. And, to be honest, the one or two things hubby had given the most emphasis in our interview could be found at this location.

But I know that just like WOW it seemed like some folks got exactly the opposite of what they asked for and they were told God wanted them to overcome their fear or prejudice or whatever by giving them this assignment. I know one gal specifically asked to go anywhere but her home town because she had a very negative history there and didn't want to fall back into old routines. Guess where they sent her? She quit. After four years of time, investment, and training, she quit rather than take that assignment. I couldn't help but think they were dead wrong on that one.

I'm really interested to hear if the "process" was at all consistent as compared to what we (18th corps) experienced.

As I recall, when I was in the 10th corps, there was always a "mystique" about the process...The top dogs would lock themselves in a room and wait for the "divine mail delivery"...

...the reading of corps assignments became a major event...I do recall that you could make requests...sometimes they were honored, usually they were not (unless you were someone who fell into the "favored" category)...

During my last year on Staff, a couple, who were RCs at one point, told the BOT that they wanted to leave and go out on the field. It was announced in our department that they said they were leaving. No questions were allowed. As a matter of fact, our Dept Coordinator was irritated by the fact that this couple was leaving HQ, and he was even more irritated that people wanted to ask questions. In my humble opinion you don't announce something and then not allow questions. It's stupid as a matter of fact. I've heard that this couple is doing well after leaving, and I'm happy for them. It took a lot of guts to do what YOU wanted to do.

There are placement meetings every year. Even those on Staff who are not Way Corps get placed. I was not WC. I spent 5 years at HQ. When I went, I was told to plan 3-5 years. At my placement meeting with my Dept coordinator, I told him I was leaving. He said "I'll make your request known, but be prepared to be asked to stay." I was his administrative assistant. At first, I was considering that I was there to serve, but then I realized I really did not want to be there anymore. I was sick of it and the hypocricy I saw there. I went back and told him that I was not WC, that I served the the maximum amount of time on staff I committed to, and I AM GOING OUT ON THE FIELD. He never saw me off when I left HQ. Oh well....his loss. :biglaugh:

Who was it that told the story here about WOW assignment being decided by throwing darts at the dart board?

One search on all usages of the word "dart" in the ATW forum later.....

ChasUFarley, Jul 23 2007, 11:16 PM, said:

"First time I went out WOW - it was the 2nd wave, from the 1989 Anniverary at HQ - there were maybe about 20-25 people going out...

Anyhow, I remember learning that we wouldn't be told where we were going until the ceremony...

I asked someone how did they know where to send us...

(We were in the WOW Auditorium at the time, on the second floor, looking at the large relief map on the wall...)

I remember he said, "See that map there? Well, they take darts and throw them at that wall. When the dart sticks - THAT's where you're goin'!"

(I believed him for 'bout 30 seconds - wide-eyed (hey, I was only 18, okay?!) then he started laughing his fanny off....)

ha ha"

Thread name:

"What was the REAL reason for not telling you where you were going until minutes before hand?"

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=14896

The thread's two pages, but there's some VERY interesting posts on page one...

================

Lindyhopper told this story a few times.....

======

"Funny story. We are in the corp relo tent or something and we are discussing with the Rev. Ander___ on where they can go. It came down to either Dallas, TX as BC as they were before in FL or twig coor. in the town I was now in. The rev was our elder corps while we were in residence . So we were down. Well he goes to talk things over or go abroad or something and it was taking him a while to get back with us.

Meanwhile, we are standing waiting and talking about their options when one Rev. J Rumproast came over and asked us if he could help. They told him their deal and how they couldn't decide what would be best.

So, He pulls out a coin and says this "This is how we do it in the back... Heads, it?s Dallas, tails it?s B-more. He smiles as though he is kind of joking but totally serious as though he had been inspired by God to do this. It was heads! Praise the Lord! Right about the time everyone is shaking hands and saying our goodbyes to Rev. Rump the Rev. Ander-son-of-a comes walking back in. He is ....ed. He obviously saw some of what went on but insted of yelling at the rump he yells at my parents.

To my suprise, my OSD (ol step dad) yells back. I was about to ****e myself. This was Ander-son-of-a--, not some snot-nosed kid. Guess who won? They didn't go to Dallas they went to try and B-more in B-more."

=========

Yeah, I guess I got tails on that coin toss, too.

:biglaugh:

So, He pulls out a coin and says this "This is how we do it in the back... Heads, it?s Dallas, tails it?s B-more. He smiles as though he is kind of joking but totally serious as though he had been inspired by God to do this. It was heads! Praise the Lord! Right about the time everyone is shaking hands and saying our goodbyes to Rev. Rump the Rev. Ander-son-of-a comes walking back in. He is ....ed. He obviously saw some of what went on but insted of yelling at the rump he yells at my parents.

To my suprise, my OSD (ol step dad) yells back. I was about to ****e myself. This was Ander-son-of-a--, not some snot-nosed kid. Guess who won? They didn't go to Dallas they went to try and B-more in B-more."