GreaseSpot Cafe

How Do You Wash Your Dog?

bowtwi

I'm wondering if it's okay to use people shampoo to bathe a dog. I've always done that with any dog I ever had, usually some shampoo & conditioner in one combination.

I'm now told that it's actually bad to use on dogs, and I don't believe it. What I do believe is that I'll get the true story here.

Aside from hiring a pro, what's the best way for me to bathe a Siberian Husky?

I am a dog groomer now, having gone back to school to enter that industry.

People shampoo will dry their coat. The best stuff I found is caled

"Plum Silky" the wonderful odor lingers for about a week.

www.naturespecialties.com

Wash from the head to the tail as the fleas run away from the shampoo. Wash and rinse until the dog smells good. Also you may want to use a tearfree shampoo (for dogs) on the head as it does get in thier eyes.

If there are eye goobers in the corners of the eyes, loosen them by a wet lukewarm cloth then you can use a flea comb to pull them off in a direction away from the eye.

You can use a cotton ball or a cloth with peroxide or witch hazel to clean your dogs ears.

As you are unfamiliar with how far to go with a Q-tip you may want to have your vet show you, although the bent ear canal should prevent you from going too far.

Make sure your dog is dry after grooming.

Let us go to the begining

Buy a shed brush it is a wire thing that looks like a loop and de-shed your dog.

Next do the bath until smells clean

eye goobers

ears

Dry with a towel, then you can use a dryer on LOW as low is not as hot and it is not at the noise level as the others. Or get a dog dryer.

Make sure he is dry especially with that undercoat!

Then, de-shed again!

If you are doing any shaving, you want to remove all the hair from the pads of the feet as bacteria may grow there. THen you may want to do a sanitary whuch is around the anus go down between the legs creating a path for any bowel movements. (Never clip into the anus as it can cut it. clip away from.)

You can do the nails if your dog will let you, or have your vet show you how the first time. If you DO the nails have styptic powder around incase you quick the nail.

You can get a dog grooming tape at the library

OR

you can ask questions/buy products at

Groomers Choice -- products

Groomers.com ---- chat

Also may I refer you to "Canidae" and "Wellness"

dog food. You can look it up on line. It is holistic, human grade meats (in a dry chow) that will help your dog live longer and healthier.

Or I will do it for about $50.00

Dot Matrix

[This message was edited by Dot Matrix on February 13, 2003 at 15:33.]

Thanks, Dot!!! I really appreciate your thorough answer. I'll get some of that "Plum Silky."

Thankfully, she has no goobers in her eyes. I hadn't thought about cleaning her ears. Guess I need to get acquainted with her vet.

This dog actually belongs to my boyfriend, but has really stuck close to me for some time now. So much so that the boyfriend has commented about it. In fact, while I was sick with the flu this week, the dog stayed on the bed with me or at my feet wherever I go. She stays in the office with me while I work.

We use a wire comb on her every few days, but it's not a loop - do I need a loop brush?

You gave such great advice! If I lived near you, I'd seriously have to consider hiring you. It'd be well worth the $50!!!

I'll look into that food, too - he's been giving her Purina something or other.

I have trimmed the hair on her toes, as she won't let him do it, but she is about due for a vet visit. I think I'll go along, if I don't just take her myself so I can be sure all these bases are covered.

Again, thanks so much!!! This is great!

If I ever learn how to post pictures, I'll post one of her. She is such a beaut! He found her abandoned! Apparently, someone taught her not to bark, but she has begun sort of talking to me, not to him - it's the coolest thing!

It should also be mentioned that if you give your cat a bath...

There is cat shampoo that you can buy at most decent pet stores.

Also, you shouldn't give a cat a bath too often. Only as needed.

My cat hates taking a bath. At the end of the bath I will give my cat a treat.

Isn't it grand to have a dog groomer at GS? I've given Nico baths outside with a hose in the summer, but I prefer bringing her to the dog groomer, he's wonderful with her. (a guy, btw) I WON'T cut her nails! I'm way to squeamish for that!

bowtwi I would love to see your puppy! I hope you post a pic soon! Gee, if I were a two dog woman and could swing another dog, I'd get me a doberman as well. But one dog is a plenty! doberman.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

babyrott60percent.gif

...It's hard to be humble when you own a Rottweiler...

BowTie-

The plum silky is shampoo and conditioner. It is a groomers gallon. You can dilute it about 1 part per 15 parts water. They do have smaller bottles at salons you can call and ask who has it. If you EVER use flea shampoo do not use the insecticide stuff, use Neems - it is very natural.

The loop thing is the third picture down - It is a shedding blade. It helps to get out that awful undercoat that sheds all the time!

http://preview.jbpet.com/Shopping/category...trippers&Page=1

The information on all grocery store pet food, after all the sites for the premium chow!

http://www.canidae.com/

Testimonies:

http://www.canidae.com/

Wellness/mother hubbard

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs/wellness_overview.html

Here is a testimony of Wellness

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs/welln...nial_kelly.html

About Dog food

The Best Food For Your Dog Is... Food. Fresh food. Fresh chicken and turkey and beef. Fresh raw vegetables and fruits. Fresh brown rice and oatmeal. Fresh yogurt, eggs, and cottage cheese. These are not "people foods."

Calling fresh food "people food" makes it sound as though people are the only living creatures with the right to fresh foods. All living creatures love fresh foods. Your dog has a keen nose and taste buds.

That's why he gets so excited when you take fresh food from the refrigerator. He is not begging for "people food" -- he is simply craving real food and variety, just as you do. Generations of dogs lived to ripe old ages on fresh foods...before pet food corporations came along. Commercial dog food has only been around since the 1930s. Around that time, big cereal companies were trying to find something to do with their rejected grain...their wheat and rice and corn that failed USDA inspection, usually because of mold.

They discovered that the meat industry faced the same dilemma. Leftover meat not fit for human consumption, usually because the livestock was diseased. The idea of mixing the rejects together, calling it "pet food", and making big profits off of it, was born. Smart advertising planted this term in the public's mind, but no living creature was ever intended to obtain their nutrition from a bag or can.

Almost all artificial diets are based on grains and cereals. The problem is, dogs are not cows. Your dog has a short straight digestive tract meant to digest meat and protein. Grains and cereals are carbohydrates that require a longer digestive tract. Think of a cow's several stomachs and its long, winding digestive tract. Even worse, many dogs are allergic to grains and cereals. They develop chronic digestive problems, or itchy skin characterized by foot-licking or face-rubbing. You might never think to associate these skin problems with the grains and cereals in your dog's artificial diet.

Every day, unhappy dogs parade through veterinary offices. They suffer from itchy rashes, hotspots, foot-licking, loose stools, gas, flatulism, greasy coats, flaky skins, constant shedding, chronic digestive upsets. What are these dogs eating? Artificial diet

There are two different philosophies of veterinary science. Most vets who belong to the AVMA sell Science Diet. Of course, they received their nutritional training from The Hill's Company...who make Science Diet. Most vets who belong to the AHVMA have done their own independent research and DO NOT recommend artificial diets.

Pet food companies and some vets will tell you: "Table scraps are bad for dogs." Now, if they mean hot dogs, bacon, bologna, pizza, french fries, and buttered and salted leftovers, they're right. Such greasy junk is not fresh food. Fresh food means just that. You feed the same food groups that are in artificial diets...except your ingredients have passed USDA inspection and your ingredients are based on meat, not grain. For anyone to apply the derogatory term "table scraps" to your homemade diet of fresh meats and veggies and oatmeal and other wholesome foods is absurd.

(of course no onions or chocolate!)

Pet food companies and some vets will also tell you: "You won't know how to balance each meal." No animal (or person) needs each and every meal balanced. No living creature eats like that.

General balance occurs over weeks or months. The concept of a "complete and balanced diet" is a marketing gimmick to persuade you that you're too dumb to feed a dog.

That would come as a shock to your great-grandparents. They had no problems doing it. Their dogs lived 15 to 20 years on meaty bones, vegetable stews, and whole-grain breads.

There are plenty of holistic dog recipees on the internet. Or if you do not have the time -- then buy the Canidae or Wellness. It is dry food but it is from holistic human grade food!

Dot Matrix

Rottie

Emptying the anal glands is gross. On large dogs it is almost NEVER needed. Big dogs wipe their butt on the ground etc, and it empties the glands.

IF you do it, place your thumb and index finger on each side of the anus about two thirds down on the sides, press in a gentle manner. If you feel something like two hard peas then the glands are full. You would press the peas in toward the anus and the smelly gross stuff comes out. (so gross!)

Zshot - I hate to do cats, they will rip you up!

When I did one, I wanted to go back to my office desk job!

Dot Matrix

Dot: Thanks! My dog groomer doesn't do it on her so I was just wondering if that was okay. Thanks for the info!

Larry! ROTFL! When I asked that I almost added (God I hope Larry doesn't read this thread) but I didn't add it cause I didn't think you'd be here. Then I see that ole craggy Winston Churchel face..omg I almost died.

OH, and Dot, my rottie is a big chicken at heart. Really. A tough little pug could scare her away.

babyrott60percent.gif

...It's hard to be humble when you own a Rottweiler...

I usually bathe my dog once a week. She loves the water being a Golden Retreiver. I especially love to watch her dry. It's really tough hanging her upside down from the clothes line though? Clothespins don't work... I prefer visegrips. Make sure to keep your eye on em when its freezing out..check on em every hour to make sure they don't ice over..you know they're dry when you can rub your hand across the dogs back without a crackling sound... icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Cats on the other hand can stay out the entire winter...lol icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

[This message was edited by Hills Bro on February 13, 2003 at 16:52.]

Another way to wash dogs,

1. leash do the bed of a pick up truck.

2. go to an automatic car wash and have truck washed while the dog is still in the truck.

3. the dog will get blow dried on the way home.

Just kidding icon_razz.gif:P--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_wink.gif;)-->

Time for me to run, hide and dodge the objects being thrown at me....

The way to wash a cat is to place em in a clean toilet, push the lid down quick, sit on it and FLUSH!!!! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

OH DON'T WORRY! they're too big to go down the drain!! LOL

(Okay, I never did it that way!! LOL)

Dot, a male cat i had a few years agao, was a 22lb moose! he was fun to wash!! LOL! (ONce ya got all four feet pried off the edges of the tub at the same time) We were always completely soaked afterwards, he was funny!! HAHAHA!!

His 14 lb sister was something else-- we eventually started taking her to a groomer-- and never asked how it went when we'd see their bandages!! icon_wink.gif;)--> LOLOL!!!

(We actually called first and told em her personality-- and they would tell us whether or not they could handle her.

I finaaly found a guy who could handle her-- he was faster than her while getting her outa the carrier (she would even bite US when we would try to get her out any other place than home) He was a God-send! And i'm sure he was thankful we only took her once or twice a year! LOL

After her bath, she would be a bitch for about 24 hours, then she would go back to her sweet little self.

Dot, the advice ya gave about the people-grade food for dogs, I'm sure holds true for cats, too.

With this dry food you are talking about, does it have to be refrigerated? Could i leave it in their dish for them to much on throughout the day as I do with their Iams?

If we fed em table food, wouldn't the majority have to be meat? My cats don't like people grade tuna!-- not even the expensive white tuna! Go figure! Actually, they are both 11 months old right now, and beg a lot for food, even though their dry food dish is always full. Their food is Iams kitten and i guess it isn't filling them enough anymore. But they are REALLY picky about eating stuff we give em from the table. (Yes, adults and children alike throwing bits of our meat to the kitties as they beg-- spoiled brats!! LOL)

Psalmie

Not to go in the fridge --

Pull up Canidae and wellness web sites listed above

My friend had a cat that was loosing all its fur. I kept tellin' her its the FOOD!

Finally, she wnt to an American Vet. Holistic Medicine Doc who told her it was THE FOOD!

She has her CAT on WELLNESS for cats and the cat is thriving!

Read about it it will blow your mind!

OR write me a private topic and I will mail you some info about the things in commercial pet food--

Did you know there is a company who picks up euthanized pets? They take the pets to the commercial dog food companies (although a low percentage) the euthanizing agent does not break down in the food processing. So, your pet eats the euthanizing product? Then, we all wonder why are animals have strange problems and die off sooner?

Iams was one of the best -- but they sold their product to another company -- and changed the formula.

Dot Matrix