GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that hymn

Cynic

Apparent usual rules. He/she who names it posts the next one. Post a line, a stanza, or more from a hymn, but generally avoid posting something that gives away the hymn title, which, of course, usually is comprised of a hymn's first few words. You might also provide a link to a tune to which the hymn is customarily sung.

Suggestion: Posting something that was not in the TWI songbook might be broadening for readers having a church exposure that differs from yours.

Note: http://www.cyberhymnal.org is one source (there are others) for the words of hymns and tunes used with them.

See! the streams of living waters,

Springing from eternal love;

Well supply thy sons and daughters,

And all fear of want remove:

Who can faint while such a river

Ever flows their thirst t’assuage?

Grace, which like the Lord, the Giver,

Never fails from age to age...

Savior, if of Zion’s city,

I through grace a member am,

Let the world deride or pity,

I will glory in Thy Name.

Fading is the worldling’s pleasure,

All his boasted pomp and show;

Solid joys and lasting treasure

None but Zion’s children know.

Tune: http://cyberhymnal.org/mid/a/u/s/austria.mid

Disclaimer: I don’t know whether or not the above hymn was sung in TWI meetings.

Edited by Cynic

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glorious things of thee are spoken(or in Lutheran Book of Worship-Glories of your Name are spoken). My turn. To this temple where we call you, Come O Lord of hosts and stay; Come with all your loving kindness, Hear your people as they pray; And your fullestbenediction shed within these walls today. 3 different tunes:Eden Church, Westminister Abbey, Regent Square.btw Cynic, the previous hymn tune is also known as Austrian Hymn which used to be used for Alles Ober Deuschtland by the Nazis, not sure if VPW ever used it in any Sing Along The Way.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Gee, the one category I actually can be involved with and no one else is interested? :unsure: <_< :blink: :( . BTW on TV shows, actually prefer naming minor characters instead of "quotes".

Alright, another stanza. Grant we pray to all your faithful All the gifts they ask to gain; What they gain from you forever with the blessed to retain; and here after in your glory evermore with you to reign.

Giving you all until Tuesday(after Labor Day), then I will give the author and title of the hymn. Cynic, you started this.

Thomas,

I have to disqualify myself, because I didn’t recognize the stanza you posted, and I pasted some of it a search engine. I am familiar with the hymn, but still wouldn’t come up with it from portions of it you have posted.

I thought the thread was dead. After starting it, I wished I had titled it “Name the hymn,” rather that “Name that hymn,” since the latter seems trivializing.

BTW,

I was aware from what I’ve read at www.cyberhymnal.org (formerly a great site, which seems to have become entangled with religious images) that Haydn’s tune, “Austria,” which probably for many years had been used for John Newton’s hymn, also was made use of for a German anthem of which Nazis made use.

IMO, the bastards neither get to confiscate it, nor send it into ruin.

From http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/g/l/glorious.htm

Historical Note: Haydn orig¬in¬al¬ly adapt¬ed Austria for a pa¬tri¬ot¬ic song, Gott, er¬halte Franz, den Kai¬ser, first per¬formed for the em¬per¬or’s birth¬day, February 12, 1797. It is still used as the tune of the Ger¬man song Das Deutsch¬land¬lied. Be¬cause of the as¬so¬ci¬a¬tions the first stan¬za (Deutsch¬land, Deutsch¬land über alles…) de¬vel¬oped with the Nazis, the third stan¬za (Einig¬keit und Recht und Frei¬heit/Für das Deutsche Va¬ter¬land) is the one now used for the Ger¬man na¬tion¬al anthem.

I also found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Lied_der_Deutschen

Edited by Cynic

Cynic, the title of the hymn is Christ is made the sure foundation, a Latin hymn translated by John Mason Neale. Henry Smart composed Regent Square; the late Lutheran compser Dale Wood wrote Eden Church as an anthem; and Henry Purcell composed Westminister Abbey for an anthem. BTW, I have several hymnal companions from different denominations. I'll give an easier one. Son of God, love's pure light Radiant beams from your holy face, with the dawn of redeeming grace. Name that hymn. Sorry can't give you the tune, otherwise you would recognize it.

Thomas,

From a little I've read about Neale, I find him an intriguing figure. I would like to hear more of the old Latin hymns he translated (particularly some attributed to Ambrose of Milan), but my church uses the Trinity Hymnal, which has a few nice Psalter pieces, but does not seem to have great historical breadth in hymn selection.

(I’m no musician or music critic, but if I had anything to do with editing a hymnal, I would probably include more early church pieces and cut out just about everything written in the last half of the 1800s.)

As for your hymn, it is “Silent Night,” of course.

Right on. Trinity Hymnal I believe is from Presbyterian(PCA, Orthodox, Evangelical). You're up.

Thomas,

This one should be far too easy for you.

The second of the stanzas I have included became controversial after the rise of an identifiable kenotic Christology among some mid-19th century Lutheran figures who maintained the Son temporarily set aside his deity when he began his earthly tenure.

Because of a line in the stanza that can be taken in a kenotic sense, there are some who consider the hymn to be, at best, borderline heretical, although I suspect the hymn writer merely got carried away with the emotional impression of those few words and did not adequately consider their implications. Considering the writer used many sound and wonderful words in glorifying the Son of God, it isn’t in me to consider his use of these few poor words any other way.

The hymn writer lived and died before kenotic Christology arose. The old “blue” Trinity Hymnal apparently did not include the hymn at all, while the “red” Trinity Hymnal includes it, but replaces “emptied himself of all but love” with “humbled himself (so great His love!).”

By the way, don’t take my pointing out that an identifiable kenotic Christology arose in some Lutheran circles personally. Presbyterian and other Reformed denominations have seen a number of heretics, apostates, and crackpots.

'Tis mystery all: th' Immortal dies!

Who can explore his strange design?

In vain the firstborn seraph tries

to sound the depths of love divine.

'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;

let angel minds inquire no more.

'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;

let angel minds inquire no more.

He left his Father's throne above

(so free, so infinite his grace!),

emptied himself of all but love,

and bled for Adam's helpless race.

'Tis mercy all, immense and free,

for O my God, it found out me!

'Tis mercy all, immense and free,

for O my God, it found out me!

Tune [for those unfamiliar with the hymn): “Sagina” http://cyberhymnal.org/mid/s/a/sagina.mid

Edited by Cynic

Is it"And Can it be that I should gain" ? If so, it is popular with Methodist and Baptist, but not found in Lutheran hymnals. Told you I have almost every denominational hymnal and companion(trying to get one from the Salvation Army). Also have Contemporary Praise songbooks such as WOW Worship, Maranatha Praise, Songs for Praise and Worship, Integrity's Worship Together series, plus Lutheran, Episcopalian, and Catholic types/versions of CCM, plus 3rd world global hymnody.

Is it"And Can it be that I should gain" ? If so, it is popular with Methodist and Baptist, but not found in Lutheran hymnals. Told you I have almost every denominational hymnal and companion(trying to get one from the Salvation Army). Also have Contemporary Praise songbooks such as WOW Worship, Maranatha Praise, Songs for Praise and Worship, Integrity's Worship Together series, plus Lutheran, Episcopalian, and Catholic types/versions of CCM, plus 3rd world global hymnody.

Yes. The hymn writer, as I figure you know, is Charles Wesley.

Hymns to this point:

“Glorious things of thee are spoken”

http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/g/l/glorious.htm

“Christ is made the sure foundation”

http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/c/m/cmadesur.htm

“Silent night”

http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/s/i/silntnit.htm

“And can it be that I should gain”

http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/a/c/acanitbe.htm

Next one is a Lutheran Germanic Chorale not known outside of Lutheranism. Theirs was a false misleading dream who thought God's law was given that sinners might themselves redeem and by their works gain heaven. The Law is but a mirror bright to bring your inbred sin to light that lurks within our nature. Johann Sebatian Bach did a prelude on this tune "Es ist das Heil". I don't know if Cyber Hymnal includes it or not.

Hymn is called "Salvation unto Us has Come" by Paul Speratus and is found in The Lutheran Hymnal 1941, Lutheran Book of Worship 1978, Lutheran Worship 1982, Wisconsin Synod's Christian Worship 1993, Eveangelical Lutheran Hymnary 1994, Lutheran Service Book 2006, and Evagelical Lutheran Worship 2006. You might try downloading OneHymn.com which is an ecumenical website for hymns from Lutheran, Episcopalian, Catholic, Methodist, Moravian, Presbyterian, Reformed, Evangelical Covenant publishing houses. For instance ELCA is Augsburg Fortress, LCMS is Concordia, WELS is Northwestern, UMC is Abingdon Cokesbury, PCUSA is Westminister/John Knox/Geneva Press, etc.

Next one is a Lutheran Germanic Chorale not known outside of Lutheranism. Theirs was a false misleading dream who thought God's law was given that sinners might themselves redeem and by their works gain heaven. The Law is but a mirror bright to bring your inbred sin to light that lurks within our nature. Johann Sebatian Bach did a prelude on this tune "Es ist das Heil". I don't know if Cyber Hymnal includes it or not.

Was there a lyric in here somewhere?

George

I couldn’t find onehymn.com, but found http://lutheran-hymnal.com/index.html , which has the hymn. It has a Java link, however, that I cannot copy and paste.

Another site, however, that has the hymn is http://www.ccel.org .

The hymns lyrics appear at http://www.ccel.org/a/anonymous/luth_hymnal/tlh377.htm

The hymn lyrics in Thomas’s post, as they appear – possibly somewhat bowdlerized -- at the lutheran-hymnal.com and ccel.org sites are:

It was a false, misleading dream

That God His Law had given

That sinners should themselves redeem

And by their works gain heaven.

The Law is but a mirror bright

To bring the inbred sin to light

That lurks within our nature.

Edited by Cynic

Guys, try Augsburg Fortress, Concordia, Church Publishing(Episcopal), Abingdon Cokesbury, Selah, Westminister/John Knox, United Church Press(Pilgrim), Chalice Press as each is a member of OnePrint.com(aka HymnPrint.com). Also GIA(Gregorian Institute of America), and Calvin Worship Institute. They along with CCLI are the largest licensing agencies for Christian hymns and Praise/Worship songs.

Cynic or George, you can post the next hymn if you like. BTW, invite some of the others down here to this topic.

Is it" Master, the tempest is raging"? If so, I remeber singing that in The Way Chorale Internationale. If not ,can you post more lyrics? Would giving the name of the tune/melody be a give away?

My anchor holds from sheet music published by Singspiration. Words found in Christian Research and Fellowship songbook. Also sung at ROA 1979 by The Way Chorale Internationale.My turn. following is found in many denominational hymnals but never was sung in TWI.

Though with a scornful wonder this world see her oppressed, by schisms asunder, by heresies distressed; yet saints their watch are keeping, their cry goes up: How long? and soon the night of weeping shall be the morn of song. oh, the website is www.onelicense.net which many denominations belong to.

Lyrics by Samuel Sebastian Wesley, later re-translated by Timothy LeFang from Chinese(will give to you tommorrow).