GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that hymn

Cynic

In addition to CyberHymnal is Digital Hymnal which is what I was thinking in addition to OneLicense.net for looking up hymn texts/lyrics and tunes/melodies.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's try a Scandinavian Lutheran Hymn, this one is from Denmark. "We are God's house of living stones, built for his own habitation; He fills our hearts, his humble thrones, granting us live and salvation. Were two or three to seek his face, He, in their midst would show his grace, blessings upon them bestowing". Author is Nicolai Grundtvig, translator is Carl Doving, tune is Kirken Den er et Gammelt Hus by Ludvig Lindemann.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Obviously I love this challenge and it is possible that you could invite some of the others who visit this forum to join in. I won't answer the last post but the clues should be more than enough. If not, I will give tommorrow another stanza. Told you I know lots of hymns. Maybe start giving some 3 rd world global hymnody or Contemporary Praise songs. :biglaugh: :D :lol: :jump::dance:

Stanza should have said "life" instead of live. "Not in our temples made by hands God the Almighty is dwelling; High in the heavens his temple stands, all earthly temples excelling; Yet He who dwells in heaven above desires to abide with us in love, making our bodies his temple." Felix Melius Christansen of St. Olaf College fame arranged this hymn as a choir anthem.

Title is Built on the Rock, the Church shall stand,(even when steeple are falling).Will post another hymn, more likely familar to those visiting this forum.

Next one is by Washington Gladden and tune is Maryton by Henry Percy Smith(In Born to Serve, Wierwille said that this hymn was assigned to his catechetical class for confirmation by his pastor). "Help me the slow of heart to move by some clear winning word of love; Teach me the wayward feet to stay, and guide them in the homeward way." Remember that Cyber Hymnal has most of these hymns.

Lyrics by John Oxenham. Tune #1 McKee-Negor Spiritual, arranged by Harry Burleigh; Tune #2 St. Peter-Alexander Reinagle. Both are Common Meter.
meant to say Negro Spiritual. told you my laptop needs a spelling alert warning system.

Next one is by Washington Gladden and tune is Maryton by Henry Percy Smith(In Born to Serve, Wierwille said that this hymn was assigned to his catechetical class for confirmation by his pastor). "Help me the slow of heart to move by some clear winning word of love; Teach me the wayward feet to stay, and guide them in the homeward way." Remember that Cyber Hymnal has most of these hymns.
"Teach me your patience; share with me a closer, dearer company, in work that keeps faith sweet and strong, in trust that triumphs over wrong".

title is O Master, Let me walk with you(Thee). Let's try another one. Negro Spiritual(African American). Sometimes I feel discouraged and think my work's in vain, but then the Holy Spirit revives my soul again. If you can not preach like Peter, if you can not pray like Paul, you can tell the love of Jesus and say"He died for all".Don't ever get discouraged for Jesus is your friend; and if you lack for knowledge, He'll never refuse to lend. There is a refrain/chorus.

title is "There is a Balm in Gilead". Going to be gone and won't return to this thread until Thursday.

OK, let's try something more familar to everyone. "Forbid it God, that I should boast in the death Christ, my Lord; all the vain that charm me most, I sacrifice them to His blood." btw, that is the correct original way that stanza read before Trinitarians switched "Lord" and "God". Lyrics are by Issac Watts(3 other stanzas are very familar). Tunes are O Waly Waly(Welsh); Rockingham Old(English); and Hamburg by Lowell Mason. It is this tune that Chris Tomlin added a refrain(that I might die and truly live).

OK, let's try something more familar to everyone. "Forbid it God, that I should boast in the death Christ, my Lord; all the vain that charm me most, I sacrifice them to His blood." btw, that is the correct original way that stanza read before Trinitarians switched "Lord" and "God". Lyrics are by Issac Watts(3 other stanzas are very familar). Tunes are O Waly Waly(Welsh); Rockingham Old(English); and Hamburg by Lowell Mason. It is this tune that Chris Tomlin added a refrain(that I might die and truly live).

“When I survey the Wondrous Cross”

http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/w/h/e/whenisur.htm

I have read that Watts was suspected of Arianism. I have also read that John Mason Neale opposed hymns written by Watts (and others) on doctrinal grounds, though I do not know what doctrinal issues in Watts's hymns raised Neale's ire.

Here are several stanzas from a hymn attributed to Ambrose of Milan I found on Cyberhymnal.org. I have never heard the hymn sung. Cyberhymal.org gives its tune as “St. Gregory.” http://cyberhymnal.org/mid/s/t/g/st_gregory.mid

The hymn seems predominately to be a prayer for God’s protection during sleep:

Day sinks; we thank Thee for Thy gift;

Night comes; and once again we lift

Our prayer and vows and hymns that we

Against all ills may shielded be.

Thee let the secret heart acclaim,

Thee let our tuneful voices name,

Round Thee our chaste affections cling

Thee sober reason own as King.

That when black darkness closes day,

And shadows thicken round our way,

Faith may no darkness know, and night

From faith’s clear beam may borrow light.

Rest not, my heaven born mind and will;

Rest, all the thoughts and deeds of ill;

May faith its watch unwearied keep,

And cool the dreaming warmth of sleep.

From cheats of sense, Lord, keep me free;

And let my heart’s depth dream of Thee;

Let not my envious foe draw near,

To break my rest with any fear.

Pray we the Father and the Son,

And Holy Ghost: O Three in One,

Blest Trinity, whom all obey,

Guard Thou Thy sheep by night and day.

Edited by Cynic

Sounds like it was a Roman Catholic hymn, possibly found in Our Parish Sings and Prays/Collegeville Hymnal from St. John's Abbey in Collegeville,MN (Liturgical Press) or Choral Praise(Oregon Catholic Press). Not too likely to be in any GIA Publications like Worship II/3rd edition, Gather(Comprehensive), RitualSong, or Hymns for the Hours. Not found in any Lutheran or Episcopalian hymnal.

The hymn is “Creator of the Earth and Sky.”

http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/c/r/creatore.htm

Though I generally dislike hymns produced in the late 1800s and early 1900s (I think it is the awful music to which they are set), the following stanzas are from a hymn that is an exception. The music for this hymn, "St. Denio," however, came from the first half of the 19th century, and doesn't have that Gay 90s triteness that afflicted church music for several decades.

To all, life Thou givest, to both great and small;

In all life Thou livest, the true life of all;

We blossom and flourish as leaves on the tree,

And wither and perish—but naught changeth Thee.

Great Father of glory, pure Father of light,

Thine angels adore Thee, all veiling their sight;

But of all Thy rich graces this grace, Lord, impart

Take the veil from our faces, the vile from our heart.

All laud we would render; O help us to see

’Tis only the splendor of light hideth Thee,

And so let Thy glory, Almighty, impart,

Through Christ in His story, Thy Christ to the heart.

Immortal, Invisible, God only wise. Will post the next hymn tommorrow.

Text is by Johann Mentzer. 2 tunes with the same name are used; O dass ich taesund zungen hatte(one by Johann Konig, the other by Kornelius Heinrich Dretzel). "Creator, humbly I implore you to listen to my earthly song until that day when I adore you, when I have joined the angel throng and learned with choirs of heaven to sing eternal anthems to my King!

Charles Wesley was influenced by this hymn. It starts out with similar words(that hymn tune was Azmon by Carl Glaser). But his familar hymn is not what I want, but rather the Lutheran Germanic chorale(5 stanzas adapted grom the Lutheran Hymnal, 1941).

I took my cue based on the last hymn you had posted. Try another stanza or 3, starting with #2 O all you powers that He implanted, arise, keep silence now no more; Put forth the strength that God has granted! Your noblest work it is adore! O soul and body, join to raise with heart felt joy our Maker's praise! #3. You forest leaves so green and tender that dance for joy in summer air, you meadows grasses bright and slender, you flowers so fragrant and so fair, You live to show God's praise alone.Join me to make his glory known! 4. All creatures that have breath and motion, that throng the earth, the sea, the sky, Come share with me my heart's devotion, Help me to sing God's praises high! My utmost powers can never quite declare the wonders of his might". Lutheran organist Paul Manz composed organ variations on both tunes previously mentioned.

Metric number(based on syllables) is 989888. The german title should have been a give away(simialr to English words).

The Charles Wesley mention should have also been a dead give away. Will post the answer tommorrow.

O that I had a 1,000 voices to praise my God with thousand tongues!

Will post next hymn on Friday.