GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that hymn

Cynic

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I agiitated you, George. btw, the hymn is "Come you thankful people come".

I am surprised that Cynic, Twinky, and TheEvan didn't post any responses.

Since the last Thanksgiving hymn(found in many denominational and ecumenical hymnals/songbooks)didn't ring a bell, I will try another one. Next one is in 3/4 time, tune is from the Netherlands/Holland called Kremser(named after Edward Kremser, but composed by A. Valerius in 1626), metrical index is 12111211, 2 different texts are associated with this melody. The more familar set of words is by Thedore Baker, 2nd by Julia Cory.

1. omitting the 1st line "He chastens(disciplines) and hastens His will to make known; The wicked oppressing now cease distressing: Sing praises to His name-He forgets not his own. 2.Beside us to guide us our God with us joining, ordaining, maintaing His kingdom divine; So from the begining the fight we were winning; You Lord were at our side -all glory be yours. 3. We all do exalt you, O leader triumphant, and pray that you still our defender will be; Let your congregation escape tribulation; your name be ever praised! O Lord, make us free!

Next time I will post the entire Cory text.

Finally. You are up. btw, alternate words by Julia Cory: 1. We praise you O God, our redeemer, creator; in grateful devotion our tribute we bring. We lay it before you, we kneel and adore you; we bless your holy name; glad praises we sing. 2. We worship you, God of our ancestors, we bless you; through trial and tempest our guide you have been. When perils overtake us, you will not forsake us, and with your help O Lord, our struggles we win. 3. With voices united our praises we offer and gladly our songs of thanksgiving we raise. With you, Lord beside us, your strong arm will guide us, to you, our great redeemer, forever be praised! George, stump us with your choice.

I am the Bread of Life by Suzanne Toolan. (and he will raise me up on the last day).

Next one is a Gospel song. Words by Adelaide Pollard, tune by George Stebbins. omitting first line from all 4 stanzas. 1. You are the potter, I am the clay! Mold me and make me after your will, while I am waiting, yielded and still. 2. Search me and try me, Master today! whiter than snow, Lord, wash me just now, As in your presence humbly I bow. 3. Wounded and weary, help me I pray; Power, all power surely is yours! Touch me and heal me, Savior divine. 4. Hold over my living absolute sway! Filled with your spirit untill all shall see Christ only, always living in me! Time signature is 3/4.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Title is Have your own Way, Lord. Will post next hymn on Monday.

Next hymn text is by Robert Robinson, sung to 2 melodies; Warrenton(southern Appalachian tune in 4/4 time), and the more familiar tune Nettleton from James Wyeth's Repository of Sacred Music, Part II in 3/4 time. omiting 1st line of stanza 1. Tune my heart to sing your grace; Streams of mercy never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise. While the hope of endless glory fills my heart with joy and love, teach me ever to adore you, May I still your goodness prove. (metrical index is 8787D). Will post more tommorrow.

I'm up:

The following is a relatively recent hymn written by a David Clowney, who reportedly was only 16 years-old when he wrote it in 1960:

(Tune: Ode to Joy - http://cyberhymnal.org/mid/h/y/m/hymn_to_joy.mid )

[omitted words], and thy works proclaim thy might

ordered vastness in the heavens, ordered course of day and night;

beauty in the changing seasons, beauty in the storming sea;

all the changing moods of nature praise the changeless Trinity.

Clearer still we see thy hand in man whom thou hast made for thee;

ruler of creation's glory, image of thy majesty.

Music, art, the fruitful garden, all the labor of his days,

are the calling of his Maker to the harvest feast of praise.

But our sins have spoiled thine image; nature, conscience only serve

as unceasing, grim reminders of the wrath which we deserve.

Yet thy grace and saving mercy in thy Word of truth revealed

claim the praise of all who know thee, in the blood of Jesus sealed.

God of glory, power, mercy, all creation praises thee;

we, thy creatures, would adore thee now and through eternity.

Saved to magnify thy goodness, grant us strength to do thy will;

with our acts as with our voices, thy commandments to fulfill.

Edited by Cynic

He wouldn't happen to be a football player for NY Jets? Cynic, congrats, you have really stumped me.

The hymn is “God, All Nature Sings Thy Glory.”

Next one is by William Dix:

Tune: Hyfrydol ( http://cyberhymnal.org/mid/h/y/f/hyfrydol.mid )

[omitted words] His the scepter, His the throne.

Alleluia! His the triumph, His the victory alone.

Hark! the songs of peaceful Zion thunder like a mighty flood.

Jesus out of every nation has redeemed us by His blood.

Alleluia! not as orphans are we left in sorrow now;

Alleluia! He is near us, faith believes, nor questions how;

Though the cloud from sight received Him when the forty days were o’er

Shall our hearts forget His promise, “I am with you evermore”?

Alleluia! bread of angels, Thou on earth our food, our stay;

Alleluia! here the sinful flee to Thee from day to day:

Intercessor, Friend of sinners, Earth’s Redeemer, plead for me,

Where the songs of all the sinless sweep across the crystal sea.

Alleluia! King eternal, Thee the Lord of lords we own;

Alleluia! born of Mary, Earth Thy footstool, Heav’n Thy throne:

Thou within the veil hast entered, robed in flesh our great High Priest;

Thou on earth both priest and victim in the Eucharistic feast.

Edited by Cynic

Alleluia, Sing to Jesus- a Communion and/or Ascension hymn. Will post hymn proably Friday.

Just popped in for a quick look at this thread.

Doesn't that tune go with some other words as well? Though the words are very vague in my mind. Includes "pray without ceasing" ??

(But then, that might be, name that hymn tune (LOL) )

Twinky, you are thinking of Love Divine, all loves excelling- a Charles Wesley text. Will definetely post a new hymn tommorrow(Saturday).

Next up is a popular Gospel song recently recorded about a decade ago by Israel Houghton from Lakewood Baptist Church(Joel Osteen is pastor there). Text is by Judson Van de Venter and Tune is by Winfield Weeden. It has 4 stanzas and a refrain. Omitting the first 6 words of each stanza(giving the tune name would be a give away). 1. All to Him I freely give; I will ever love and trust Him, in His presence daily live.(omitting refrain). 2.Humbly at His feet I bow, worldly pleasures all forsaken, Take me, Jesus, take me now. 3. Make me Saviour wholly thine. Let me feel the Holy Spirit, truly now that you are mine. 4. Lord, I give myself to you; Fill me with your love and power, let your blessing fall on me.

will give you until tommorrow afternoon to answer.

Title is "All to Jesus I surrender". Taking the rest of the week off, will be back next Monday with a new mystery hymn.