GreaseSpot Cafe

A Nice Visit With Bumpy

J0nny Ling0

Bumpy and his wife were just here in Juneau for a brief three day visit. We enjoyed some fine local seafood, had a few cocktails, "champagne and King Crab", and then they were off again in a different direction on yet another Bumpy Tour. It was fun. He said he'd come to see me and by golly he did!

Hey((((Jonny))),

I am glad You got o see them!!!

I always liked Bumpy! I miss his wit and the music He has on his website

I treated Him well, and fairly and He treated me well and fairly!

We both made the effort to understand and see each others hearts through our many differences and cultures....fortunately, that out weighted any opposing viewpoints we may have had!

I don't like to be at odds with anyone...it's never worth it to me!

Hey Jonny, You could go on one of His Tours...Couldn't You???

They look so amazing and adventure filled...and You strike me as an adventurous guy!!!!

Yeah, it was really cool to spend time with them. And, his wife was so very sweet, nice, and, very smart! Nice girl, and Bumpy is a fortunate man! A real looker too I might add. His wife I mean...Sorry Bump, you are a fine lookin man, but I don't swing that way...haha!

And so RG's girl, have you ever been to Bumpy's web site? You can visit them at www.bumpytours.com , look at all of their pics, and even write him/them from the website! It's a neat site with lots of pics from Africa and Europe where they like to spend their time...

And ya know, because the weather has been terrible here (a violent North Pacific storm) which kept us from the fishing grounds, no photos came about. Drat! AND to top it off, a volcano erupted up North causing enough air born ash to ground the planes, and Bumpy and his Lovely got out of here just in time! They grounded a number of planes here in Juneau just after they left. And, because of the abrupt change in plans, we never got any photos of us together, which burns me to a degree.... Dammitt all! As the Brits would say....

I think they may be headed to New Zealand where the sun shines way more than here, or perhaps down to Zamboanga. I don't think the rain here was much of a blessing to them...

"Oh the monkeys have no tails in Zamboanga,

In Zamboanga, in Zamboanga!

Oh the monkeys have no tails because

they were bitten off by the whale.....!

That's an old Bob Hope/Bing Crosby song, which, in a politically incorrect era long gone by, was referring to the little Filipino people as little "monkey people" without "tails". Personally, I would go to NZ, or, to the Cooke Islands in order to get away from our cool and wet weather!

Hey (((Jonny)))),

Yah Jonny I visit His site quite often...He gave me the link several months ago in one of His Threads maybe???

I like the music he keeps there very much and I am a bit of a "dream traveler".

I take my vacations through pictures and chat friends on line.

I love to learn about other cultures and countries. I have learned so very much about people this way and how to bridge the gaps of understanding and differences.

Laugh if You must, but it is almost like really traveling. If you can picture all this, then you know what I mean:

Acquainting yourself with and speaking with the people, knowing their cuisine, art history, beliefs and customs..their daily lives and their music adds to create the atmosphere.

It's like spending a day in their lives and understand why they think and act the way the do. We are not as different as we seem to be. We all need the same simple things God, Love,

Respect, Kindness, Understanding, Help, Guidance..all good and right things. Like the lists below:

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Gal 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Phl 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever

things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

1Jo 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

It is a fun way to learn. The benefits are priceless treasures we have to share, to impart, and to receive knowledge, wisdom and love!

The INTERNET has bridged so many gaps between culture and peoples of the world...and time and space!

That was a lovely post Rainbow's Girl, and I thank you for that. And what you said about "visiting" via the internet is lovely also.

And, thank you for not doubting that Bumpy was actually here as well. Hoping that Hap was just being humorous?

AND those verses you supplied were very well received, for, those really ARE the things we should think on and

dwell on! :wave: :)

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Actually, I have a couple of photos of Bumpy and my daughter in the engine room of her ship as they came up from British Colombia, but I don't know how to post them here.

And RG, do you have an e-mail address. I have a story about some time I spent with some Eskimos in a village where I worked that you might like to read. Oh wait. I just went to your profile and found your Yahoo address. I would copy and paste it here, but it would be off topic, and a tad bit politically incorrect, for this old Eskimo kept using the "n" word..

Edited by Jonny Lingo

hehe without photo evidence, we are left only with your opinion that bumpy was there!

It is a possibility ...... Then again he is not accusing Bumpy of some crime either is he . I'd guess he has no reason to fabricate the story. but as you pointed out and oddly enough seem to understand in this case hard evidence such as photo evidence could be presented to corroborate the story. I think it works the same for all stories. :biglaugh:

Edited by WhiteDove

Thanks Rainbow's Girl!

The first photo is of Bumpy and my daughter, Meagan. She is 23 years old, and they are situated on the upper deck of the Main Engineroom just above the Port Maine Engine. Meagan is the 6-12 Oiler, standing engine room watches around the clock from 0600 to 1200 hrs, and then from 1800 to 0000 hrs (0000hrs means midnight) for seven days straight until she is relieved on the beach back in the Home Port of Juneau. That's 12 hours a day, seven days a week, 84 hours a week. Right now she got held over for two more weeks which will be a total of three 84 hour weeks. Quite grueling, really, but most excellent money! She and one other "start 'em up and shut 'em down", and while running, watch myriad pressure and temp gauges, rpms, generators, all the while maintaining close contact with the Bridge, etc. You know, what "Scotty" did on the Starship Enterprise! They care for, watch and maintain the machinery.

The next photo is basically the same, except that you can see the Port Main Engine, or, the PME. Notice the letters "MaK". MaK is the name of the German company that made these engines. And I will tell you, that the Germans have no "corner on marine engineering", although I would say that Finland does, with their excellent Wartsilla diesels. Anyway, I used to work that same ship, and during "drydock time" when we would dismantle those engines all the way down to the main bearings, we found that the German MaKs were no better and many times worse than our faithful American made Enterprise diesels that are used on the Matanuska's sister ship the M/V Malaspina, as well as on our flag ship, the M/V Colombia. Just to the left of Meagan in this second photo is a view forward to the inside of the ECC (engine control center or, control booth). You can see it by way of noting the gauges on the bulkhead (wall).

For those curious, those engines, port and starboard are "in line nines". That is, nine cylinders in a straight row, unlike the two v-12 Enterprise diesels on the Malaspina. The Enterprise diesels on the Colombia are V-16's with each piston 16 inches in diameter. Those white covers with the MaK on them are the covers for the valve gear. Each engine puts out approximately 4,000 horse power apiece. I worked the Mat for three years straight, and as I've mentioned before, my daughter not only works my old ship, but also has my old crew's quarters. My oh my so cool how God works things out!

The last photo is of Meagan and Bumpy on the lower deck of the engineroom, right next to the inboard side of the PME. That photo gives a good view of the catwalk upon which one stands when making an inspection while running, as well as a good work place when tearing into them during overhaul. That photo is looking aft. The engines were running at the time of the photo, probably at 530 RPMs (main engine speed) and 72 RPM's propeller shaft speed after the shaft comes out of the reduction gear. The propeller shaft is approximately 15 inches in diameter. When working, one not only wears earplugs as is noticed in Bumpy's ears, but one also wears head phones like Meagan is wearing as well. Those engines scream, which is a characteristik of the MaKs. Maybe somewhat akin to the Stuka Dive Bombers of WWII?

And so! I'm home sick for my old ship the Matanuska! Can you tell? But I know she's in good hands with my sweet daughter keeping a watchful eye on her! But I tell her my old mantra every other week when she heads off for work to: "Remember, anything can happen at any time!" Which is oh so true. A fire, a piece of machinery vibrating apart, a fuel leak, an oil leak, a main engine having a crank case explosion, a steam break, an oil line breaking and spewing hot oil onto the deck plates and into the bilges, and on and on. And then there's the boredom of nothing happening at all, which of course is when one should be even more attentive. Yeah....I miss the action myself...Thanks for the photos Le Bump! And thanks for posting them for me Rainbows Girl!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Matanuska

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Jonny,

Your (((Daughter))))) is a very lovely Girl...but You know that I am sure!

It's so sweet and tenderhearted of You to be so concerned about her well-fare!

What a Great Dad You are!

I very much enjoyed the story that you sent me...keep 'em coming. You're a very fine writer!

Edited by RainbowsGirl

Great pictures. I love those big old engines. I did in-port service and modifications to APL ships back in my TWI youth. Mostly calibrating temperature sensors, doing wiring for refrigerated containers and fixing winch controls. APL ships then had twin boilers and turbine, along with big diesels for backup power. I've also done some volunteer work restoring an old diesel-electric locomotive.

Pictures of an overhaul would be greatly appreciated if ever available.

Yes R'sGirl, she certainly is lovely to be sure. And thanks for the compliment on the story. The next one I'm gonna send you is called: "Dances With Coyotes"....

And yeah Bill, there seemed to be a bit of confusion on that one. But I assure you, Mrs. Bump knows what's what on that all. But yes, Meagan does look a bit like Snow White in that she si beautiful, and so was Snow White. I'll send another photo of her to R'sGirl so she can post a photo of my Snow White beauty of a daughter...

And Jim! American President Lines eh? I never had the privilege to sail for them, but I did work a few Sea-Land ships in my time. And, sorry, I never was a shutter bug and didn't take the photos like I should have. Dum bass me.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Jonny Lingo