GreaseSpot Cafe

Texas Barbeque 2008

notinKansasanymore

Was definite a few weeks back --but now I am waiting on the rest of my siblings to decide if we are all getting together for Christmas-- something that we weren't going to do but now looks like we might

I simply don't have the money to fly outside twice in two months

So It's still a maybe, However-- If you send me the correct address I will see that there is some Alaska Reindeer sausage there for all to enjoy.

Edited by templelady

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two hands from Tenn. I am sorry for these added difficulties. I can`t change our plane tickets, so will be in town bbq or no...lol. We have only found one hotel in the new area that is still accepting reservations. Mark is trying to find out if we can get some kind of group rate or something if anyone else is interested.

Mark says that the La Quinta nearest the new location will give a group rate of 105.00 but you have to tell them that it if for a Greasespotter.

I should point out that this does not include the tax to pay for Houston's sumptuous athletic arenas. The actual "drive-out" price is $119.77 per night per room. You can cram as many people in the room as you wish, however.

:)

George

Okay, gang!

Here's the basic schedule for the weekend.

The main event, of course, is the Saturday barbeque. We'll start serving snacks around 2 PM, with the actual BBQ around 6. Then, general hanging around until you can't stand it anymore.

Many of you will be arriving on Friday. The Countess and I would be happy to have you come by after dinner, say, 7:30, for pre-BBQ fun and games. I'm sure ex10 has a number of places in her neck of the woods where you might enjoy dinner; I would be happy to recommend some places in Pearland. (Highway 518 has a wide variety.) Since most of you (it seems) will be staying in The Woodlands, I suggest ending the Friday festivities at midnight to allow you to drive back.

Ex10 has graciously opened her home for you on Sunday morning for brunch and fellowship. The exact time probably won't be determined until Saturday night. ;)

I suspect that the attendance will be significantly greater than the few names posted here so far. Especially as the day draws closer, I'll need to know how many to prepare for. You can PM me if you don't wish to publicize.

See ya! :)

George

The "Two-Drink Limit" thread got me thinking (usually, a dangerous thing).

We will NOT enforce such a limit at the BBQ, but I will determine if someone has "had enough." To my knowledge, this hasn't been a problem at previous BBQ's, but in those cases many revelers were spending the night at ex10's or close by. I expect a good time to be had by all, including their safe returns home!

George

George - you will have to talk to EyesOpen about the mojitos...she makes 'em pretty good!

Anyway at Ex10's last year we were yarning away ... until people went back to their hotels for breakfast. I think maybe they were on breakfast and bed, rather than bed and breakfast.

So far we have about 20 people (that I know of, George might have some to add to the list) who will definitely be attending the BBQ. There are some still on the "not sure" list, which is fine, as long as those of us who are bringing food can have a final head count the week before.

Can't wait!

If you'd like to bring a beverage (any proof) and/or some munchies, that would be fine. At least in Harris County (Houston), grocery stores will have liquor. In Brazoria County (Pearland), you're limited to beer and wine.

Funny story. My first week in Texas, I rented an apartment and went to the local store for groceries. I thought I'd pick up a bottle of wine along with the various food items. Standing in a large aisle of beer, I couldn't find any wine (which is usually located near the beer, in past experience). I asked a store worker about it, and she said, "We don't sell that. That's alcohol." So I asked, "Then what's all THIS?" Unabashed, she replied, "That's BEER!" That's when I realized I wasn't "in Kansas, anymore, Toto." It has only been in the last year that grocery stores in Brazoria County could sell wine. Package liquor stores are hard to find, too, except right outside the county line!

George

Count me and T-Bone in, wine in hand.

George, that's too funny about the adult beverage-ally challenged store clerk. Ah yes, the bible belt. When I was a little girl, the blue law didn't allow non-food items to be purchased on Sunday unless there was a dire need. I remember my church-going mother being furious that she had to sign a form in order to buy a pie pan from the grocery store on Sunday.

Ya gotta have pie.

See you all soon!

:offtopic:

Ah yes. Sunday trading laws.

Once upon a time you could buy a pound of carrots at the furniture store for some three or four figure sum, and it came complete with free sofa and armchairs...

Beer is what? Fruit juice? Mineral water?? :biglaugh:

:offtopic:

To continue the de-rail just a bit longer, I'd like to point out that, at least when I came to Texas 27 years ago, there was technically nothing that you couldn't buy on Sunday (except alcohol before noon), but that there were ALL SORTS OF items that a single store couldn't sell on consecutive Saturdays and Sundays. Most stores just opted not to sell the items on Sunday. I remember trying to buy a kitchen-size trash can and the liner bags for it, one Sunday. They would sell me the bags, but not the can! :blink:

There is one item which still cannot be sold in Texas on both days of a weekend: cars! Some dealerships are open on Saturday; some on Sunday. The richer dealerships have more than one location, so that they can sell cars both days.

Now back to BBQ news!

George

I was sent WOW to Waco, Texas, in 1984. Alcohol was not served in bars past 12:00 midnight in that county. There was a blue law which prevented stores being open on Sundays. I believe it was originally due to religious reasons. Many stores were open anyway because the money they made outweighed the fines they had to pay. I still can't believe they would be fined; it seemed so petty even in the 80s. When I moved to Midland, Texas, I visited some friends in Lubbock. There was no alcohol available withint Lubbock city limites. All of the liquor stores were outside of the city limits all in a row on the same road. That was weird too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Okay, gang!

Here's the basic schedule for the weekend.

The main event, of course, is the Saturday barbeque. We'll start serving snacks around 2 PM, with the actual BBQ around 6. Then, general hanging around until you can't stand it anymore.

Many of you will be arriving on Friday. The Countess and I would be happy to have you come by after dinner, say, 7:30, for pre-BBQ fun and games. I'm sure ex10 has a number of places in her neck of the woods where you might enjoy dinner; I would be happy to recommend some places in Pearland. (Highway 518 has a wide variety.) Since most of you (it seems) will be staying in The Woodlands, I suggest ending the Friday festivities at midnight to allow you to drive back.

Ex10 has graciously opened her home for you on Sunday morning for brunch and fellowship. The exact time probably won't be determined until Saturday night. ;)

I suspect that the attendance will be significantly greater than the few names posted here so far. Especially as the day draws closer, I'll need to know how many to prepare for. You can PM me if you don't wish to publicize.

See ya! :)

George

Just a bump to remind everyone. If anyone still has travel or housing concerns, please PM me. In fact, I require a full itinerary with primary and secondary back-up plans... (KIDDING)

And pray for clear weather. Cool weather won't be a problem (we have a nice chiminea on the patio), though, obviously, come prepared (sweater, jacket, etc.); we can probably handle everyone indoors, but it will be a lot less cramped if it's indoors/outdoors!

George