GreaseSpot Cafe

Where would you be?

Jim Wood

I know I missed a heck of a lot of great rock conerts in the 90's because I was involved with TWI! I think I missed a lot of good groupie years, ha ha. Although I did meet my husband back then, and without TWI wouldn't have him any my 2 kids today. And even though TWI is twisted, my relationship I have with God because my motives were pure in being involved with TWI, is not. So glad for that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with George...I was in twi from the time I was 24 until I was 37...a lot of guys were planting roots, making investments and developing their careers during those years...me? I was on the yellow brick road, off to see the wizard...

So it's obvious a lot of us feel we came out of this losing something we can't get back. That is a fact no one could dispute. I lost a lot to drugs and alcohol and still fight some demons,"figure of speech"<-----I hope anyway. :lol: This was even before I took the TWI bait, and I'm 53 now.

Anyway, are you satisfied or peaceful in your life now?

Jim

I know I missed a heck of a lot of great rock conerts in the 90's because I was involved with TWI! I think I missed a lot of good groupie years, ha ha. Although I did meet my husband back then, and without TWI wouldn't have him any my 2 kids today. And even though TWI is twisted, my relationship I have with God because my motives were pure in being involved with TWI, is not. So glad for that.

How sweet it is! :) Keep living large and don't let the past control you today.

Jim

Peacefull... I can't say my life is peaceful with three teens, young love, driver's ed, the JOB, hubby's health and the general state of hectic run run we seem to live in--

BUT-- If we were to add a manipulative fellowship leader trying to run our life, three mandatory meetings a week, study and teaching schedules, weekend 'bless' jobs(leadership's house or yard) 'direction' on teen activities and friendships from leadership, being under suspision for chronic illness= chronic spiritual weakness,15% income going to TWI, yadayada--

THEN, in comparison to that lifestyle, then yes, life is peaceful, adn I'm satisfied(or working on it).

Peaceful? With 4 teenagers and 3 pre teens?? LOL I am with you Bramble :)

When I look back on the dire promises of death, spiritual possession, lack of God`d blessings due from being outside of his umbrella of protection....that WOULD befall us is we left twi...I have to say my life is pretty darned good.

We certainly didn`t die, as a matter of fact the family increased in size significantly.

I`d have to say that we have experienced great kindness, mercy, deliverance, wonderful friends, opportunities, a terrific community to raise our children.

God IS good, in spite of the stupid detours and side roads that we get lost on.

I will say this of my experience in TWI......"It was the Best of TImes and the Worst of times" The best of those times has outweighed my best of times out of TWI......but the Worst of times far outweighs anything I have experiencd since leaving TWI.

Others have said it....there was a price to pay for being in TWI.......I'm still paying!!!!!

I think this is the best answer yet... definitely fits for me...

If I had not joined twi I would have found some other church or group I thought could "fix" me. That's a fact.

If I had not married the twi-brained man I married I would have married someone an awful lot like him. That is also a fact.

It's just where my head was at when it all started.

However, a few years down the road, after I had grown up a little, experienced life away from home a little, and put up with a lot of crap and grief from both hubby and the group, if the group was some other church and not a cult, I would have started making my own decisions and left both for a better life. And that's the difference for me. Fifteen years of wasted time. Fifteen years of lost opportunities.

So, where would I be now if I had left 15 twi years earlier? Based on what happened with my life when I DID finally leave twi, I would say that I would have returned to school, completed my education in a new field, re-discovered the joy of living, and made a success of my life. That's what I've done in the past few years. But I would have had an extra 15 years to build a financial base, advance my career, build a family... all those things.

Edited by TheHighWay

If I had not gone to ECU during the energy crisis, and gone straight to ASU in Boone, proably would never have gotten involved with TWI. Most likely would have gotten both a bachelor's and master's degrees in both percussion and organ, gotten married 30 years ago and had 3 kids, been organist at a large local Lutheran Church, and wouldn't have given a damn about Biblical Research and accuracy, and been much happier with my life.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda,

Who knows how it would have turned out?

I can't see where my 15 years of dedicated Wayferism did ME any good, though.

Now I'm thinking I'd rather have HAD the drugs and venereal diseases and whatever other evil side-effects one gets from living a life of debauchery. At least I'd have some better stories to tell and memories of stuff other than stringing chairs, singing tired old hymns, and generally playing the part of servile lackie.

Regret is a Mutha#$%ker. And looking back at my WayWorld involvement will never cease to bring me carloads of that. Just wasted years of icky, drippy, subserviant, superstition-laden, demeaning, obeisance to an MLM hierarchy. (shudder)...

George,

I see nothing wrong with some debauchery, but only if it's done ethically! Old vic and others in TWI did it through lies, manipulation etc.

Jim

now come on, jim. do i need a dictionary to see the point? no offense.

but anyway, i don't think we'll ever know the answer until the hereafter. at least i'm hoping then. do you think that thing about being known even as we're known or whatev will help me understand a lot of this life ?

Jim,

You ask a totally interesting question, which I can't answer. Approaching the question from the point of "Where wouldn't I be?" is amuch easier reply, for me anyway.

I wouldn't be talking to you, cherishing the memories we share, looking forward to seeing you and meeting your beloved, and catching up on family news, from days long ago and faraway, where what we did together, brought us to where we are now.

Ok, I admit, that's a convoluted answer to your question. But somehow, I don't mind being where I am today. In fact, I like the place in space I occupy.

I can scootch over, and make room for you again. We wouldn't have that, not would we? We'll see where it leads us. That's what I love about where I am.

:wub:

Ok, if I'm made no sense whatsoever, just ignore the reply. We can do that here. :wink2:

now come on, jim. do i need a dictionary to see the point? no offense.

I think my answer to waysider was a bit rude, some people think morality and ethics are the same thing. Not sure I understand your comment above, this type of communication is a world apart from being face to face.

but anyway, i don't think we'll ever know the answer until the hereafter. at least i'm hoping then. do you think that thing about being known even as we're known or whatev will help me understand a lot of this life ?

I agree with the hereafter thought, but not even close to understanding what you said afterwards...........it's been so long, is it scriptural? :unsure:

Jim,

You ask a totally interesting question, which I can't answer. Approaching the question from the point of "Where wouldn't I be?" is amuch easier reply, for me anyway.

I wouldn't be talking to you, cherishing the memories we share, looking forward to seeing you and meeting your beloved, and catching up on family news, from days long ago and faraway, where what we did together, brought us to where we are now.

Ok, I admit, that's a convoluted answer to your question. But somehow, I don't mind being where I am today. In fact, I like the place in space I occupy.

I can scootch over, and make room for you again. We wouldn't have that, not would we? We'll see where it leads us. That's what I love about where I am.

:wub:

Ok, if I'm made no sense whatsoever, just ignore the reply. We can do that here. :wink2:

Yes it makes sense to me,and I would never ignore one of your posts even if it didn't make sense! :wink2:

Where would I be today if I stayed with TWI?

Probably not living where I currently live right now.

Probably not owning a house nor a new car since I would have to give a big chunk of my hard-earned money to ABS 3 times a week.

Probably not having a close relationship with my relatives and immediate family.

Probably not romantically involved with the girl I am currently with.

Probably have not met the great people (since I left TWI) who are still are my friends.

To sum it up, I think it is a wise decision that I left TWI over 12 years ago. Otherwise, I would have wasted 15+ years of my life instead of the 3 yrs that I was involved.

I have read many threads on the negative aspects of being involved in twi, but have you thought about where and what circumstances you may be in if you hadn't been involved?

I'm almost sure East Texas wouldn't be my home and my life as it is. Simply put, I like where life's journey has taken me so far. :)

Jim

If I haven't been involved with TWI then, I'd finished college a lot earlier, gotten a job earlier and possibly, I would have owned a house and lived somewhere different from where I'm living now and I possibly would have a family of my own by now.

My children were young when we left and got out pretty unscathed, except for the messed up parents they were stuck with!

But i personally know a couple familes who had terrible things happen to their highschool age children by TWi bullies/leadership etc. Those families I'm sure have very deep regrets for the long term issues those children still deal with. Abuse and rape take huge tolls, especially of children.