GreaseSpot Cafe

The WAG of Ike

Raf

Went home at lunch to eat. The weather out of San Antonio said they felt it would hit south of Corpus Christi around the King Ranch area and then head north. That would put it here the second night.

The second night on land is what people around here fear. My parents lived in Comfort Texas until they died. Comfort was almost wiped off the earth in 1978. It was the second night on land and right over them. Rain readings went up to 30" in 24 hrs.

As far as New Orleans goes. I think they need to dredge the Mississippi and put all the mud in NOLA. They could raise the cities level up above the water level and save evrything in the long run.

Rain readings went up to 30" in 24 hrs.

As far as New Orleans goes. I think they need to dredge the Mississippi and put all the mud in NOLA. They could raise the cities level up above the water level and save evrything in the long run.

I remember getting 21" in a day in New Orleans once ... and they have to pump it all out. It wasn't even a hurricane.

The area in New Orleans where I lived was originally lake, but they dredged up from the lake to add about 6 blocks of land. That area is actually above sea level and didn't flood, while a few blockes away they had 8' of water.

But besides the huge size of New Orleans and the massive task of moving that much muck, you'd have to raze the place before you could start over, unless you want to just bury the buildings and leave them as ruins :biglaugh:

Had Gustav been just a little more to he east, I think huge sections of New Orleans would have been under 6' of water again.

We're making plans to possibly move our operations to Dallas, but I haven't heard anything official yet. The only thing I know is that a few people are already going up there before the rest of us would be sent just in case. I'm hoping we don't go, but Houston is possibly going to be on the dirty side if this thing keeps sliding closer to us.

Stay safe everyone.

At least it doesn't seem to be strengthening much. It MIGHT only be a Cat 2 at landfall.

Now if it would just turn more northward...

George

Yeah, I think we're going to be ok. They were forecasting 100mph+ winds for where I live, now it's down to 60mph. If it were much weaker, I'd have to go out and play sideways football with a neighbor or something, like I did as a kid with Hurricane Hugo.

DirecTV channel 361 has a local Houston station that is commercial free and uninterrupted coverage...

Most of Houston (and SE Texas) is without power... well over a million customers... so they're probably not going to be online soon... if you know someone there and have there number you might try texting them...

we're just getting some of the rain up here in DFW not much wind as we're on the west side (or will be) when it passes east of here... it's supposed to rain until tomorrow sometime...

A report I just heard is that there are 'more than 4.5 million people without power'...

still not much up here except that they've raised gas by $.40 since yesterday at this time... and some stations are just closing so they can save their gas for tomorrow (or later) when they can raise the prices even higher... gouging... there are a lot of refugees up in this area as well...

Jindal made an appeal to Bush before Gustav to open the strategic reserves. I'd guess now again production would be slowed, though I doubt there was much damage. They still have to get everything set back up to run.

But I don't know that the reserves are already refined or not ... maybe some are.