GreaseSpot Cafe

The WAG of Ike

Raf

Jindal made an appeal to Bush before Gustav to open the strategic reserves. I'd guess now again production would be slowed, though I doubt there was much damage. They still have to get everything set back up to run.

But I don't know that the reserves are already refined or not ... maybe some are.

huh? did you mean to post that bit of info here on the Ike thread?

huh? did you mean to post that bit of info here on the Ike thread?

yes ...

you said

still not much up here except that they've raised gas by $.40 since yesterday at this time... and some stations are just closing so they can save their gas for tomorrow (or later) when they can raise the prices even higher... gouging... there are a lot of refugees up in this area as well...

So on the subject of damage from Ike, since the hurricane is over .... availability of gas is an issue ... isn't that why the prices are up?

So how long before supply comes back on line is important and related, don't you think?

You brought it up.

Here is news I just saw ...

Hurricane Ike hits heart of U.S. oil sector

Some 14 refineries in Texas were shut due to the effects of Ike, while one in Louisiana was shut in a slow recovery from Hurricane Gustav earlier in the month. Together, the refineries account for 23 percent of the nation's fuel production capacity.As strong winds continued to batter Houston, Exxon Mobil and Valero Energy Corp said they were returning crews to their shuttered refineries to assess damage.

A spokesman for the joint operations of southeast Texas emergency management agencies said the state's refineries appeared to have escaped the kind of heavy flooding that left plants shut for months after the 2005 hurricanes.

Edited by rhino

Yep isn't that just like the evil money hungry gas mongers. They raised prices before there was any damage and now it's reported that there is no damage to any gas refiners. oil is under a hundred bucks a gallon so gas prices should be what they were a year ago.

And many millions without power or being able to work are going to have to pay more for fuel when they do go back to work.

One of these days I'm hoping for a good ol' fashioned linching mob to hang those jerks who run those companies who are taking us to the cleaners.

So let me get this straight...

People have lost their homes, either in whole or in part, and this thread has spun into bickering about oil prices?

May I suggest that this argument shift to Politics and "Tacks?

or just ignore me...

There is nothing wrong with complaining about gas prices. But this isn't the thread for it. Start your own thread and I could even chime in there with ya.

But some of our members won't be able to take a hot shower after slugging away in the heat and humidity cleaning up around what's left of their properties, and some of "us" act like we don't give a royal flush! Some of us weren't thought the fright of such a large hurricane, still have our power to run air conditionders.....can take hot showers - - after dark even - - and then sit in our air conditioned living rooms with a nice cold beer!

There is a time and a place.......that's all I'm sayin'.

...back to damage from Ike. . . Did it turn out to be the perfect storm that was expected? I just saw pictures but know from experience that weather channels can repeat tragic clips as tho it's widespread damage.

Was it the severe damage of Katrina?

Did New Orleans levees hold up?

The impact of Ike on rigs and refineries is VERY directly related to the hurricane.

Why in the world would that be a new thread? Talk of where it will hit is over.

There is really little political about it ... the question is how long will they be off line ... and how much damage from Ike was there?

It is one of the aspects of Ike that effects everyone ... gas prices here jumped 40 cents, big damage would be a big deal.

I guess George and P-Mosh will check in when they get home or get power back.

I've stayed in New Orleans without power for 3 days before, and know what it is like to anticipate such a thang about to roll into your door step.

Kit ... New Orleans had more flooding than most expected, as the winds were strong from the south for so long, and the system was so large, but none of the major levees were threatened. I haven't seen much on western Louisiana yet though, where I'm sure they got a lot of water.

I taked to my nephew today who lives 10 miles west of Houston...he's one of the lucky ones who still has power...but he described the devastation that he saw all around him. I lived in Houston for 17 years and hearing about the massive flooding at certain intersections, the glass buildings downtown being blown out, the damage everywhere... gives me quite a mind picture...and the damage in Galvaston is heart breaking. My favorite eating place there was a place that sat at the end of a pier over the water and had a glass floor...cold boiled shrimp, gumbo and cold beer with Bob Marley playing in the background...today it is a pile of shattered lumber scattered over the beach... :(

I guess George and P-Mosh will check in when they get home or get power back.

Copied from the ex10 thread:

The Countess and I lost power on Friday night. It was just restored this afternoon. Except for some fence damage, we came through unscathed. Gas and water remained on, so we could cook and shower. We've gotten to know our new neighbors quite well, with little mini-cookouts together each of the last three evenings. Local ice drops kept us from losing all our food, though we did have to pitch some. The cold front that moved through two nights ago has made living MUCH more bearable. (I'm sure ex10 will agree.) Phone and internet (obviously) are now on, and all I'm missing is satellite TV. (Our dish is still there, but it's misaligned.)

We visited our old neighborhood near the coast yesterday. Not much damage, but no power, water, or gas.

Considering the tragedy it could have been, the inconvienience hasn't been all that bad.

George

On the topic of high gas prices, at least here in Houston, the real problem is gas shortages. It's sort of a perfect storm of bad things -- refineries shut down, electricity was down for most of us and many people with generators had to power them, gas stations weren't getting deliveries, and price gouging is occurring. Unfortunately, I think the gasoline problem is going to be exacerbated by everyone going back to work. I have to report back tomorrow, my neighbors have been working for a few days, and the long commutes are going to cause the gas shortages to get worse.