GreaseSpot Cafe

Vague Memories of a Way Child

MusicaLee

Well, I've been lurking for a short while and was finally given permission to post. I actually found this site doing a google search for Claudettee Royal. I am stunned. My husband can't understand my fascination with this site, but he was never involved with the Way Ministry which surprises me since he attended East Carolina University in Greenville, NC during the late 70's into early 80's. I cannot remember if that was the limb headquarters, but I remember it was a pretty popular spot.

But, my mom and I became involved with TWI around 1977 in Raleigh, NC. I was almost 10 years old. My mom worked at NC State and since there were a lot of college kids in our fellowship, I am guessing that is where she was first "witnessed" to. I only have fond memories of those days in Raleigh. That is where I met Claudettee. Their band came to visit, Claudettee stayed in the Way Home and my friend and I got to sing for her!! woah. She and I became pen pals and she encouraged me to continue singing.

In 1979, Mom and I became WOW's. I had to sell of all my Barbies, but I was allowed to take PFAL that summer even though I wasn't 12 yet. Our families were concerned, but I was excited and hoping to be sent to Hawaii or California or some place that seemed exotic to an 11 year old. Massachusetts never crossed my mind. But, I learned to love New Bedford. Being from the south, I had never seen snow in October and certainly never had to actually attend school when there was an inch on the ground! I learned a lot that year.

We moved back to NC in 1980 immediately following our WOW year. In 1982, Mom signed us up for the Family Way Corps. Again, I was so excited about moving to Indiana. Our first year, apprentice year, we spent living in a Way Home. At the end of that year, Mom didn't have the money that we would need to move to....was it Rome City?.....Anyhow, I was so crushed! How could she not have enough money? And ya know, she didn't seem as upset as I was. But, in hindsight, I believe that was the best thing for us.

We still stayed very involved. My parents went on to take the advanced class in 1985. In 1983, I spent 2 weeks in New Knoxville for a teen program. That was pretty awesome. The Way's rock band had just released an album, so we had some cool music to listen to. Man, I wish I could remember the band name. Acts II? Or something like that. They were the "Pressed Down, Shaken Together, Running Over" group for my generation. We got to meet Dr. and Mrs. Weirwille, which was a big deal to me. I remember his eyepatch, but can't remember the explanation that was given to us.

In 1986, I graduated from HS and moved away from home. But, none of the proverbial s*%t had hit the fan yet. So, I really wasn't around when everything started falling apart. I remember my mom telling me about John Lynn's letter which I was able to read on this site. Was that dated in the late 80's? She told me stories that blew my mind. My mom did a good job of protecting me. If she knew any of this stuff before I moved away, she sheltered me from it. So, really, my memories are good.

Anyhow, this is pretty awesome to find this place. I would still love to contact Claudettee although, I am not interested in rejoining. I think one post I read implied she is still active.

Thanks for letting me share.......

Kathie

ca7cfc981336b388cbef9d495c05ff7c.gif(((Musicalee)))),music-2.gif

I am glad You were well protected by GOD and Your Parent, and was still able to enjoyed some good memories and some great music along the way.

Everyone one here would be glad to help you find anything that You need to find or want to discuss.!!!

Have a Great Time!!!

What is Your pleasure.....4512293_thl.jpg or coffee-2.gif My treat!!!

With Love RainbowsGirl

Kathie, welcome! Like some NC BBQ and banana pudding? Claudette owns and operates a bakery in Marietta,GA. Think it's called Royal sweets or cookies? My understanding is she is a home fellowship leader and is ordained by TWI, obviously not interested in any of the splinter groups. Don't know if she still sings.

Kathie, welcome! Like some NC BBQ and banana pudding? Claudette owns and operates a bakery in Marietta,GA. Think it's called Royal sweets or cookies? My understanding is she is a home fellowship leader and is ordained by TWI, obviously not interested in any of the splinter groups. Don't know if she still sings.

Thanks, Thomas. I saw a link to Royal Sweets but wasn't sure if that was correct or a joke. Makes sense now.

Woo Hoo, I 'm always up for BBQ (as long as it's eastern style, no offense) and some banana pudding. Yum.

Kathie

A local BBQ resturant serves both styles with vinegar or tomato sauce with hickory smoke flavoring. Also serves ribs and beef as alternatives. Me , I like mine western style or no sauce(plain), fried chicken, mashed potatoes, banana pudding, and cold water. Not much of a tea drinker or coffee. Some offer popcorn shrimp on the side. Keeping you and your husband in my prayers. ps, you don't look 40, more like early 20's.

A local BBQ resturant serves both styles with vinegar or tomato sauce with hickory smoke flavoring. Also serves ribs and beef as alternatives. Me , I like mine western style or no sauce(plain), fried chicken, mashed potatoes, banana pudding, and cold water. Not much of a tea drinker or coffee. Some offer popcorn shrimp on the side. Keeping you and your husband in my prayers. ps, you don't look 40, more like early 20's.

Thomas, you're making me hungry now!! I don't drink tea much anymore because I don't want the sugar and I don't really like tea with artificial sweeteners. But, I gotta have my coffee. I am an addict. Thanks for the prayers! We get to leave work early today. Woo Hoo. Rather go home because of snow, but an afternoon off is an afternoon off. LOL

So, my pic actually showed up? I couldn't see it when I posted it. But, thank you so much!! I am starting to really like it here!!

Have a wonderful day!

Kathie

Okay--you never told me--did you EVER learn to drive a stick shift??

Welcome! :) :) :)

It took many years, but yes, I finally learned how to burn out a clutch without jerking too much! LOL

Kathie

Kathie, sorry about your barbies

THanks, ExC. It was a devastating loss, but my faith got me thru. And now God has blessed me with an 8 year old who loves, loves, loves Barbies, so I can live vicariously thru her!! Woo Hoo!

Kathie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...