GreaseSpot Cafe

Greek Yogurt

ChasUFarley

I don't know if this is something just new to our area or if it's a trend or what but...

Has anyone else tried this kind of yogurt:

fage_HONEY.jpg

There's some other labels - but it's all this super-creamy, thick yogurt with sweet toppings like honey, plums, blackberries, strawberries... the texture is like a light cream cheese....

It's soooooooo good!

Anyone tried it??

As you can tell, I recommend it!

I've tried the plain variety by the same brand, sometimes sold at Trader Joe's. I haven't tried the stuff with added flavorings, but I am really loving the plain yogurt. The taste is TOTALLY different from Dannon or Yoplait plain varieties-- vastly more flavorful. I put my own "toppings" in it-- sliced fresh bananas, strawberries, melon, raspberries, and/or blueberries, and a handful of walnuts.---YUM!

It's been around for a while, tastes like middle eastern yogurt to me, I get the plain kind at Trader Joe's as well, it is definitely denser than regular yogurt. I like it for it's difference from regular yogurt, the plain kind works especially good in savory recipes like salad dressings, on baked potatoes, soups, curries, tzaziki, etc.

Edited by now I see

• 3 months later...

Yes, and I like it a lot. In Greece they serve yogurt in ice cream sunday dishes with honey drizzled over the top. Just delicious. Greek yogurt is thicker than what we are used to here in the US. When I can't find this brand I buy another plain yogurt and let it drain for a day or two in the refrigerator to make it thicker. I use a Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker, works great, I got mine on Amazon.com but it's also sold in stores.

If you let the yogurt drain longer, say 3-4 days, it becomes like a cream cheese consistency. Makes an excellent cream cheese substitute for dieting.

I too love the greek yogurt.

I only get the plain kind.

With being both pre diabetic and allergic to wheat/gluten I have to be careful and only get yogurts with none of the syrup and they have to be all natural... no thickeners or fillers, which are all made from some kind of wheat.

Another of my other favorites is stoneyfield yogurt, but it is hard to get here in the little town that I live in.

But it is also european style yogurt which is thicker and richer than Ameircan.

Some yogurts have different flavors to the plain yogurt too.

I think depending on the cultures etc. but it is well worth it to try different types of yogurt to find the ones that have the flavor you are looking for.

And I highly recommend walking away from the ones with syrup in them.. IF you can try the plain with your own fresh fruit sliced in it you will find a totally different taste adventure. once going there you will find that the kind with fruit and syrup in them do not taste good at all.

We buy a brand at Costco called Mountain High. I don't think it is Greek, but it sure is good. I used it today to make linguini with clam sauce.

1 bunch green onions, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

8 oz sliced baby Bella mushrooms

basil

salt free Spike

splash of white wine

1 1/2 cups plain yogurt

2-3 tablespoons corn starch

parsley, dried or fresh, mostly for garnish but you can sprinkle some in when you add the basil and Spike

1 pat butter or Pam if you are really into dieting

grease skillet with pam or Pam or butter, your choice. Add the veggies all at once and saute until some of the moisture starts to cook out of the mushrooms. You can add a little clam broth if they seem to need it. Add a splash of white wine. Add the seasonings in also. Drain 1 can of clams, but leave the broth in the other one and dump them in. Cook on low heat as everything starts to blend in and it starts to smell out of this world.

In a small bowl mix the plain yogurt and the cornstarch. Blend into the clam-veggie-wine mix and allow to thicken on low heat.

In the meantime of course you will have boiled water and added the linguine or pasta of your choice, along with whatever side dish you prefer. A crisp green salad is optimum, IMO.

This is quick, easy and very tasty. Of course you should drink the rest of the wine with your meal!

wg