GreaseSpot Cafe

Will The Real Me Please Stand Up

vickles

You all know me as Vickles but do you know who I am? For years I was afraid of telling who I was straight up because of what TWI or Waygb or whoever might do something. Or someone not like me because of the past.

But as testimony I am revealing who I am. Will the real me please stand up?

My name is Vicki Davis and have gone by Vicki Filion and Vicki Giegerich in twi. I am not afraid to say who I am.

Will the next person please stand up?

My reasoning to post this is that for some reason we all have been led to believe how important we are. People must know who I am because I was so wonderful. When we leave some people remember and some people don't. But the main thing is that we find out that twi was such a puny little thing. Here we thought it was so big but out in this huge world it was like a piece of lint or maybe smaller.

Why be afraid of something so itsy bitsy? And after all these years.......who really cares?

You all know me as Vickles but do you know who I am? For years I was afraid of telling who I was straight up because of what TWI or Waygb or whoever might do something. Or someone not like me because of the past.

But as testimony I am revealing who I am. Will the real me please stand up?

My name is Vicki Davis and have gone by Vicki Filion and Vicki Giegerich in twi. I am not afraid to say who I am.

Will the next person please stand up?

Well, Vicki, I'll have to think about that one. I have done everything BUT reveal myself publically. I use my name in all private messages, I post my e-mail on my profile, and a couple people have called me by my first name in chat, which is fine with me.

I CAN see how some other people would have much bigger concerns than mine about revealing. For myself, I am totally delighted at knowing you or anyone else as a real person. For anyone else, since I have of late tried to find out more about the abuse people in TWI have suffered, I am very careful at not expecting anyone to reveal themselves, even if I give my name first in private messages.

Edited by Lifted Up

Then maybe its something you don't need to do. Should we say its a personal choice? Maybe your not hiding your name because your afraid of twi. Maybe its a different safety to you. Whatever reasons thats ok.

I'm trying to make the point that we don't have to be afraid of twi. They are so small that it really isn't all that important. We make them as big as we want them to be. I am making the statement as I would in front of a room full of people and saying I am Vicki Davis and I'm ex twi and I'm not afraid anymore.

There are many reasons other than TWI or WayGB to not post your real name. I certainly have no fear of them, but google searches for your name will bring a person to these posts. That may or may not be something you would like to have happen.

Only you can decide the answer as to whether it matters. Some possiblities include job applications, political aspirations, customer inquiries......

Just something to think about

~HAP

Should we say its a personal choice?

I'm trying to make the point that we don't have to be afraid of twi. They are so small that it really isn't all that important. We make them as big as we want them to be. I am making the statement as I would in front of a room full of people and saying I am Vicki Davis and I'm ex twi and I'm not afraid anymore.

Yes, I'd say it is a personal choice. Though someone else may or may not choose to reveal him/her self, I see it is very important to you at this point, and I congratulate you!

I've been using my full name all along. I never really understood what the big deal was. I could see if someone was still in TWI and didn't want them to know they posted here. But other than that, what's the big deal? If someone googled your name and found your posts here, why is that a problem? I'm not criticizing anyones's choice, I just don't understand what the big deal is.

I use my full name and have no fear from TWI(proably ignore me anyway). Nick name is Doctor Who, Last of remaining Time Lords from Gallifrey(have seen all actors from William Hartnell up to David Tennant) and his Tardis chameloncircuit is stuck again as an old Dodge Dynasty(inside is smaller than the outside). :huh: :mellow: ^_^ :o :unsure: :wacko: :blink: :ph34r: :confused:

I didn't use my real name BEFORE I got a cyber-stalker.

I'm definitely not using it now.

I'm a big believer in not using personally-identifying information

(full name, phone#, address, and so on) on the internet.

If someone is going to be a criminal, I think they should have

to WORK for it if they want to steal my identity.

And imagine their disappointment if they wasted all that time

to get mine....

Mark,

Maybe the name itself, along with the desire for privacy, is part of the issue.

Your name is common: Google your name and find out where the first accurate reference to you is.

Google my name, and the first page is all me. I imagine the more common your name, the easier it is to maintain privacy even with your name out there.

Interestingly, if you google "George St. George," finding anything about me is almost impossible. You get all sorts of travel and real estate hits, usually because the phrase "St. George" is repeated in a listing or table ("St. George St. George"). If you google "GeorgeStGeorge," you'll get a couple of hits on GS, and the website of some gay guy. :o

George

The first thing that came up when I googled my name was this:

Mark Clarke (born July 25, 1950, in Liverpool, England) is a former member of Colosseum and Uriah Heep. He was the bass guitarist for Colosseum from 1970 until 1972 (and from 1994 after Colosseum's reunion), when he briefly joined Uriah Heep, performing (and co-writing) on just one studio track, "The Wizard", on their 1972 album Demons & Wizards. He also played bass on Ken Hensley's solo albums. In 1975 he went on to join Natural Gas, Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow, and in 1980 started working with Billy Squier and recorded Don't Say No, The Stroke, In the Dark and many other albums with him. In 1985 he joined The Monkees and until recently still worked with Davy Jones. Clarke has also worked with Mountain (Leslie West) and Ian Hunter (Mott the Hoople), recording albums with both of them.

Who knew?

I also had a cyber stalker, which is not fun. I wasn't using my real name at the time but they still managed to follow me around. I'm glad they did not have access to my real name.

Also, my last few years in TWi made me wonder if my leadershi+ was all that sane. I am comfortable with a degree of separation.