GreaseSpot Cafe

Dutch Apple Bread

geisha779

Soon we will be overrun with apples--at least in this neck of the woods. I am looking for any good apple recipes. . . . pies-sauces-baked apples--anything I can make with them would be helpful?

I will soon have bags, buckets, and baskets of apples in my back kitchen. Hate to see even one of them go to the compost. Hard to give them all away--as everyone has them this time of year!!

I started making this a few years ago. It is the BEST apple bread I have found! The batter is so yummy--I am always surprized it makes it to the pan.

The bread never lasts long--but if you make extra it does freeze. I always make some to take around to the elderly neighbors.

The kids love it too! :)

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup buttermilk

1 cup chopped, peeled apple

1/3 cup chopped walnuts

TOPPING:

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3 tablespoons butter or margarine

DIRECTIONS

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in apple and nuts. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan. For topping, combine the first four ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Edited by geisha779

Another thing I started to do a few years ago--was throw some "Red Hots" the little cinnamon candies--into a few of the pies I bake--this is a nice variation.

I don't cut back too much on the sugar or cinnamon--and I only use a handful.

Here are two easy Apple recipes from my families collection

Apple Pie Slices

The Dough:

Place in a bowl:

1 cup Crisco

1tsp salt

2 C. Flour

Then mix together slightly and add the flour mixture to form the dough:

1/3 C. milk

1 Egg Yolk

Divide the dough in 1/2.

Roll out 1/2 the dough and place into a 9x13 inch pan.

Added 6 to 8 peeled and slice apples sprinkled with Cinnamon and sugar to you taste.

Roll out the second half of the dough for the top and brush it with 1 slightly beaten egg white

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake till golden brown.

Topping with:

Mix together and brush on the pie slices while hot:

1 C. Powdered Sugar

2 to 3 tlbs. of milk

Sprinkle with Cinnamon

My Great Gramma's Apple Dumplings

The Dough:

2 C. Flour

4 tsp. Baking Powder

1 Pinch of Salt

2 Tbs Sugar

4 Tbs. Crisco

3/4 C. Milk

Mix together and roll out the dough into a circle on a floured board and cut into 6 pieces.

Peel and cut into pieces 6 to 8 apples and sprinkle them with Cinnamon and sugar to your taste.

Place apples on the dough and dot with a dot of butter and seal the dough together.

Place sealed Dumplings, smooth side up, into a buttered 9x13 inch pan.

The Sauce

Bring to a boil:

1 1/2 C. Sugar

2 C. Water

Pour over the dumplings boiling hot

Sprinkle with Cinnamon to your taste

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes

This is a basic recipe for Waldorf Salad with apples and walnuts.

Ingredients:

2 cups coarsely chopped apples, about 2 medium apples

1 cup chopped celery

1/2 cup mayonnaise, or to taste

1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

mixed salad greens or lettuce

Preparation:

Waldorf Salad. Toss all ingredients together in a serving bowl. Serve Waldorf salad on mixed salad greens. This waldorf salad serves 4.

(((((Geisha))))),

Thank You for the Apple Bread recipe. It sounds so yummie, but then anything with tang and buttermilk tempts

me!

Gosh, our apple season is here too and nothing smells better to me than apple and cinnamon treats in the

fall...I love cinnamon

Edited by RainbowsGirl

Geisha,

I too hate throwing apples into the compost....

So, when my apples start getting a little to ripe for my liking... I freeze them

I cut them in quarters... take out the insides then slice them into semi-thin slices and throw them into a zip-lock bag, or a plastic container.

When I want to make an apple crisp or anything needing apples... like your delicious recipe... I take them out of the freezer and presto... apples all ready to go. I usually make my crisp with peels... so ... no need to peel. You might need to peel if you are making pies.

Bon appetit!

French Cranberry-Apple Pie

Tart cranberries add a delicious twist to traditional apple pie.

Crust: Make Your own favorite pie crust recipe or use a preprepared one

The Filling:

4 cups peeled and sliced apples (4 medium)

2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries; If using frozen cranberries, thaw and drain before adding to apples

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

The Topping:

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Dash nutmeg

1/4 cup butter or margarine

1/3 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat oven to 375°F. Place pie crust in 9-inch glass.

2. In large bowl, gently mix apples and cranberries. In small bowl, mix remaining filling ingredients. Add dry ingredients to fruit; toss to coat. Pour into crust-lined pan.

3. In small bowl, mix all topping ingredients except butter and pecans. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle evenly over filling.

4. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until apples are tender, and crust and topping are golden brown. After 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. If desired, serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

Geisha,

Your cinnamon candies would be great in this!!! :)

Although it is a lot of work, freezing ready made up apple desserts is a great idea; if You have the freezer

space and the time.

Pies and dumplings are best frozen before baking. Cakes and breads hold up better after baking.

Canning homemade apple sauce and apple pie fillings (with special additions of Cinnamon candies, cranberries

rubbarb, pears...etc},or canning apple butter are great ways to preserve your apples and they make very nice

homemade gifts for holidays and special occasions. You can decorate these gifts so beautifully and simply!!!

Canning isn't difficult; just a little expensive in the beginning. Getting the canner pan, and the jars and the rings

and lids. They look so beautiful in your pantry. They are an economical and nutritious homemade time saver

for months to come.

This an old fashioned solution for those who need to deal every apple season with what to do

with all those healthy and delicious apples

What a WONDERFUL idea La Prochaine--now, I can't believe I didn't think of it--but I never did. I bake all the time--my escape. I am surprized we are not the rolly polly family. But, we still manage not to waddle!!

In the winter--nothing is as sweet as the smell of cinnamon baking away in a nice juicy pie! Now I will have ready sliced apples for tarts and pies! Thanks.

RG

I love the dumpling recipe--I will make that one soon. The rest are great too. Thanks--I hope others try them. I will let you know how they turn out.

Cranberries are another New England favorite--and I love the combination with apples--thanks so much!

I do freeze breads--zucchini and other seasonal stuff. Canning? Well, when I was a kid--my two great aunts would can every summer. HUGE production--and all I remember is the dire warnings if it wasn't done right. So, I always think I will poison my poor family.

I made jelly once and was pouring it into a canning jar--somehow ended up pouring it on my hand. That was a fun trip to the ER as it was boiling hot and STUCK to my hand!!

The bread recipe I posted--it really is an awesome bread--I hope you both try it--it will become a regular. So, goooood!

Thanks!!!

RG

I love the dumpling recipe--I will make that one soon. The rest are great too. Thanks--I hope others try them. I will let you know how they turn out.

Cranberries are another New England favorite--and I love the combination with apples--thanks so much!

I do freeze breads--zucchini and other seasonal stuff. Canning? Well, when I was a kid--my two great aunts would can every summer. HUGE production--and all I remember is the dire warnings if it wasn't done right. So, I always think I will poison my poor family.

True and you can freeze much easier and safely.

I made jelly once and was pouring it into a canning jar--somehow ended up pouring it on my hand. That was a fun trip to the ER as it was boiling hot and STUCK to my hand!!

Ooooooouch!!!! Well, I can understand your reluctance to "Can", so perhaps Freezer jam would be better for You and it is easy, good and you can make variance and use sugar substitutes as well.

Freezer Berry Jam

INGREDIENTS

4 cups blueberries

2 cups raspberries

5 cups sugar

2 tablespoons lemon juice

3/4 cup water

1 (1.75 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, crush the blueberries. Add raspberries and crush. Stir in sugar and lemon juice. Let stand for 10 minutes. In a small saucepan, bring water and pectin to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add to fruit mixture; stir for 3 minutes. Pour into jars or freezer containers; cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Cover and let stand overnight or until set, but not longer than 24 hours. Refrigerate or freeze.

Strawberry Freezer Jam

or substitute raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, apricots, peaches, cherries and plums in place of the strawberries. You may also add rhubarb to the strawberry jam

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

2 cups crushed fresh strawberries

4 cups sugar

1 (1.75 ounce) package dry pectin

3/4 cup water

DIRECTIONS

Mix crushed strawberries with sugar, and let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, stir the pectin into the water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 1 minute. Stir the boiling water into the strawberries. Allow to stand for 3 minutes before pouring into jars or other storage containers.

Place tops on the containers, and leave for 24 hours. Place into freezer, and store frozen until ready to use.

The bread recipe I posted--it really is an awesome bread--I hope you both try it--it will become a regular. So, goooood!

I have to wait one more week to try it, as I want to use "Laurel Reds"...I get my Apple in LaCresent, Minnesota at Bauer's Market. They even call you to let you know when each variety is due in...They say they are the Apple Capitol of the World and they are celebrating Apple Fest soon!They in truth are just one of the many great Apple Capitols of the world.

I can't wait to taste your bread...it makes my mouth water :)

Thanks!!!

Hi RG

I am printing this stuff out. Is laCresent near Stillwater? Sounds like a great market--we almost moved to Mn--wish we had--or of course Bangor! LOL

This weekend--I am having a yardsale and am going to bake on Sunday--AND--I am going to make that jam. I have not tried to--since I burnt my hand.

Question---can I use canning jars to freeze? I actually have some jam jars in storage--I may go get those. What a great gift idea. You could make scones--jam--mock clotted cream and do up a basket for someone. I used to do that all the time--or make an English tea tray for everyone on Sundays. Oh, you could even put in a box of Earl Grey too.

I am going to do that. I love it--thanks.

I would bring one to you--but it might be stale by the time it got there!!

Geisha

Edited by geisha779

Hi RG

I am printing this stuff out. Is laCresent near Stillwater? Sounds like a great market--we almost moved to Mn--wish we had--or of course Bangor! LOL

La Cresent is right across the Mississippi River bridge from La Crosse, Wisconsin and Bangor is 17.5 miles from La Crosse

This weekend--I am having a yardsale and am going to bake on Sunday--AND--I am going to make that jam. I have not tried to--since I burnt my hand.

Be careful!!! It is so easy, You will do it easily!!!

Question---can I use canning jars to freeze? Absolutely, You just need new lids; and rings only, if they are corrodedI actually have some jam jars in storage--I may go get those. What a great gift idea. You could make scones--jam--mock clotted cream and do up a basket for someone. I used to do that all the time--or make an English tea tray for everyone on Sundays. Oh, you could even put in a box of Earl Grey too.

Sounds great and I would like one stale or not!!!

I am going to do that. I love it--thanks. You are very welcome Geisha...enjoy it all...Fall and Winter are my favorite seasons!!!

I would bring one to you--but it might be stale by the time it got there!!

Geisha

A la

If you have a lot of apples in the fall here is a quick, easy and cheap way to prep them as a nice desert for dinner or also makes a nice gift for the next door neighbors.

One firm apple per person you are serving. Mushy apples won't work very well (experienced that mistake myself)

Core apples leaving apple intact.

Place in glass baking dish standing on the bottom of the apple

Put a few raisins in the bottom of each apple

Drizzle some lemon juice into the core

Spoon a tsp or so of brown sugar into the core

Add 1/4 tsp of cinnamon into the core

Back at 350F for 30-45mins (depending on apple size) until apples are soft enough to eat with a spoon

Serve in a bowl

Sounds great ith a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side! Thanks for the Apple Dumpling recipe RainbowsGirl, I've been looking for a good one, yours sounds fabulous!

You are welcome (((((Now I See))))))

All the recipes sound great and the tips are very helpful too!!!

Geisha, great apple bread recipe too! Since you're looking for more apple recipes, I have a great apple cake recipe somewhere, I'll have to dig it out and post it later...I did find an Apple Chutney recipe that my family has used for 2 generations.

You can use it as a side sauce for pork, curries, turkey, or chicken or on a turkey sandwich or spread on brie or any cheese on a cracker. It's great with fall and winter foods, it also has been used as a replacement for jam on peanut butter sandwiches by some of my relatives!

You can tweak the recipe easily toward your own palate by making it spicier, sweeter, or by adding more fruits like pear, cranberry, nectarines, peaches, etc., tart apples are better to use, but sweet apples are just as good. It can be frozen, preserved by canning, or kept in the fridge for about a month since it has a good amount of vinegar.

Apple Chutney

• 4 cups chopped, peeled apples, about 8 big or 12 smallish apples
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup onion chopped
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 or more garlic cloves diced or pressed or roasted, or 1/4 tsp ground
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or nob of fresh, grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • add optional ingredients such as ground chili powder, diced jalapenos, a few dried red chilies, additional fruits etc., make sure you tweak the sugar/vinegar ratio if you add extra fruits, add more sugar for a sweeter taste, or more vinegar for a more tangy taste.

In a saucepan, combine all ingredients, and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the apples are tender. Mix in some water if necessary to keep the ingredients moist. The consistency should be close to a jam or a preserve and the color should be a raisiny brown. Transfer to a container and cool. Refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blossom or freeze after it cools.

Enjoy!

Picture%201425.jpg

Edited by now I see

• 2 weeks later...

Now I See,

Thanks-I made this!! It is too good. Chutney is a favorite here. I served it with pork and it was a hit! I made jam as well.

Thanks all--I am getting the apples coming in slowly. When we planted trees years ago, I thought how cool--apples!

I am over it now

--just like the garden, sheep and chickens who are long gone.

The apples remain. I will bake today. Dumplings I think--my last pie is nearly gone.

geisha, I wanted to let you know that I made your apple bread recipe last week and it was wonderful! We had some here at home and I took a loaf in to work while it was still warm from the oven...my coworkers scarfed down every crumb before lunchtime.

Lots of good stuff to try on these threads...now I just need more time.

Thanks again!

geisha, I wanted to let you know that I made your apple bread recipe last week and it was wonderful! We had some here at home and I took a loaf in to work while it was still warm from the oven...my coworkers scarfed down every crumb before lunchtime.

Lots of good stuff to try on these threads...now I just need more time.

Thanks again!

Hi Tonto,

I am so glad you tried and liked it! It is the best apple bread I have found.

We are now in the apple zone here! I am making everything on the thread and freezing apples.

It is a nice cozy time, but it always means winter is near--now I can take out my frozen apples and bake on a snowy cold day.

I love it!!

Hi BowTwi.

I am so happy you liked it--fun to share recipes. I made THREE banana breads this morning. There is half of one left.

I can't keep up! My son and a few friends--hubby milling around and boom it was gone! LOL

Apple pie and brownies tommorow. . . sigh. . . back to peeling apples.

Geisha

Hi BowTwi.

I am so happy you liked it--fun to share recipes. I made THREE banana breads this morning. There is half of one left.

I can't keep up! My son and a few friends--hubby milling around and boom it was gone! LOL

Apple pie and brownies tommorow. . . sigh. . . back to peeling apples.

Geisha

Geisha - if you really use apples that much, consider this handy Apple Corer and Slicer:

1188327076802.jpg

Someone gave it to me several years ago. It cuts the prep time for making an apple pie in half (hmmmm could be a good thing, could be not so good - depending on whether or not you want to make endless apple pies.)

Geisha - if you really use apples that much, consider this handy Apple Corer and Slicer:

1188327076802.jpg

Someone gave it to me several years ago. It cuts the prep time for making an apple pie in half (hmmmm could be a good thing, could be not so good - depending on whether or not you want to make endless apple pies.)

Hi doojable,

Funny! About a week ago I bought a box lot at an auction. 5$ for all this fun stuff--all new in boxes and there was one of these peelers in it--so I tried it. Other than having trouble stabilizing it--it was so cool to use. I made a pie and it was great!

I guess you would buy one in a kitchen shop??--I love to watch the peel come off in that curly Q--I had never seen one like this before-very handy.

Thanks. Endless pies are my life--I can't cook---other than spaghetti sauce, but I can bake!!