GreaseSpot Cafe

Revised Rules Spinoff

RainbowsGirl

20 mods isn't a lot? it says at the bottom there are 2500 or so members, but most of them are definitely not active. i'm just saying. ps. i have no contempt for any moderator. if you think i do, please tell me.

also, i've only been on another few forums and there the moderators use their posting names with "moderator" under it, and it seems to be fine. that's why i brought it up.

on another board there are 2000 "regular" members to each mod.

Edited by excathedra

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the time being, we are not going to moderate the Political forum. The general rules don't apply to it. When I put together something for that forum, I will. I took some much needed time off from GS. (Although I ended up checking in every day)

The new rules are nothing but clarifications of the existing rules. This has been requested many times by posters. If you have suggestions or improvements -- Say So!! The majority of changes on this forum have been made as a result of your suggestions.

We are NOT softening our position on telling the other side of the story either. What we ARE doing is clarifying the name calling. We are mature enough individuals to discuss issues without making it personal!

I'm glad Modcow gave the info about the moderators, I couldn't figure out WHY people were complaining about too many moderators!! This site's primary role is to tell the other side of the story to people that need to know whether they are still in or working through their emotional, mental and physical turmoil for having been in. The moderators are there to help with that goal. As was said, it is not "us vs. them"

You can email us at greasespot@gmail.com. This email is viewable by all of our mods and myself. My email as always is pawtucket@greasespotcafe.com

I can certainly understand why a group of people who have had their lives micromanaged by twi (or at least attempted to be) would have issues with anyone they see as an authority figure. I know I still do at times. But I none of us wants to control what you say or think. That's not why we're here.

So please, we're not out to "get" anyone. We're not out to promote any agenda of some perceived group of "insiders." We have no agenda. We don't even agree with each other sometimes, so how could we possibly get an agenda together? :jump:

When a moderator takes on a name that allows them to moderate and then at the same time comment on subjects it gives them the power to control like TWI never had.

For the time being, we are not going to moderate the Political forum. The general rules don't apply to it. When I put together something for that forum, I will. I took some much needed time off from GS. (Although I ended up checking in every day)

The Political Forums are where you really need the moderation. To flame someone for not agreeing with you is out of control. Once you stand up a single time all your posts are torn apart simply because they dont like you. In fact I can tell who was corp by the way they handle dissention.

The Political Forums are where you really need the moderation. To flame someone for not agreeing with you is out of control. Once you stand up a single time all your posts are torn apart simply because they dont like you. In fact I can tell who was corp by the way they handle dissention.

The political forum will be moderated at some point in the next week or two. I, personally, am tired of that forum. But I will set rules that will be fair and we will see how it goes. I am going to strongly suggest that those who are able to maintain some civility in a heated discussion use the Decaf Forum. I may move the Political forum down to the bottom of the forums, we'll see.

I don't know if I agree with that. The heavy duty name calling on pols&tacks is limited to about 4 or 5 people and is often directed at their respected opposition parties as much as each other. It seems those folks have almost an understanding about political charging at each other. Heck I find their name calling far less offensive than the name calling currently going on in our real life presidential campaign. For a lot of us it is interesting to see the "research" that they provide as well as their strength of opinion. Actually, I have a sneaking suspicion that if you put those on pols&tacks in the same room with a six pack they'd be good pals while still disagreeing on each others politics.

I am fairly neutral when I post there but have certainly expressed my opinion and have never been called names or otherwise had rule violations.

Politics is something that everyone in the world gets charged about. I've watched it every four years - mild mannered accountants turn into raging - name calling - marching fanatics - real life. Lets let that forum run on its own unless we get someone who starts badmouthing en masse. Have a mod keep an eye in case it gets out of hand but come on - it's politics - that particular forum is a pretty good mirror of real life politics.

Take it as entertainment if you are "on the outside" watching those few folks go at each other. It's fun after a while. "A" makes a post and you just KNOW how "B" will respond...

Edited by RumRunner

now, you're going to have to explain that one to me, ex70shouston :)

do you really think so?

I had kinda wondered about that point too. Really, there aren't any posters who frequent the politics forum who were gung ho corps muckety mucks in leadership for twi after the in residence years.

That's fair. Between lurkers, temporary visitors and people who don't post anymore,

I'd be shocked if there's 80 regular posters. I'd put the number of regulars closer

to 40-50. (Plus non-posters, and they don't need moderation.)

if true, that makes it even more interesting, questionable, ridiculous....

I think the perception that there are a lot of moderators might be valid if they were all full-time, moderating 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (with a full day off from work and witnessing :biglaugh: ) and regularly patrolled all the forums.

I doubt any of them are putting a tremendous amount of time into it. In fact, it seems like most of the edits, even with the influx of new mods, comes from just two or three.

Even if there are as many as 8 moderators, they would have to be "on duty" 3 hours every day, 7 days a week in order for there to be "full" coverage. I seriously doubt that's happening.

• 3 weeks later...
Hehehehehe exsie. There has been a bit of a lull lately, hasn't there?

LULL

Is that what you call it I'm thinking lullaby is more like it ,looks like it already put Exsie to sleep. Better put the blanket on her.

Do I hear Letterman's top ten ways to kill a message board?

Edited by WhiteDove

It's really comical in a way. On another forum I participate in, there is a discussion taking place---- about the current lull in action. People come and people go. Some come back. Topics are revisited by newbies who have no idea the place was bubbling in controversy over the same topic 4 or 5 years ago. But, as one of the late founders of the other forum once said, "Let 'em all talk and see what they have to say." :)

I've seen many lulls here over the years. Thinks will get lively again.

To every thing, turn, turn, turn

There is a season turn, turn, turn

A time for every purpose under heaven.

A time to lurk, a time to read

A time to yawn, a time to sleep

A time you may write posts

A time to refrain from all posting.

And so it goes.

• 1 month later...

i was just on refiner's site and he made a comment regarding moderators having dual identities (which no regular posters can have here). i like what he said:

I Totally disagree with the whole concept.

Managers are managers and should be publicly responsible for their decisions. Not hidden behind a veil and masking behind an alter ego.

i was just on refiner's site and he made a comment regarding moderators having dual identities (which no regular posters can have here). i like what he said:

We made different rules. Neither is right or wrong. I tried it the other way for years and the mods got thrashed by the other posters. This works well and is effective.

Edited by pawtucket