GreaseSpot Cafe

Defining WayBrain

doojable

How do you define "WayBrain"?

I'll start the list. Add and banter as you see fit.

1. A grand sense of spiritual superiority.

2. A long list of phrases and jargon that must be said precisely and in a timely manner List follows:

*JesusChrist - no stops and no leaving off the second part or else hell will release demons to infest your mind and home.)

*God Bless (and no one sneezed)

*Pfal

*SIT

*Using the initials of any twi book title rather than saying the title itself

*Thinking that the Law of Believing is written in some heavenly book somewhere.

3. Looking for a nametag to determine if the person you're listening to deserves your attention.

4. One verse answers to life.

5. Immediate acquiescence to anyone in authority, regardless of the rightness or wrongness of their request.

6. A heightened sense of entitlement stemming from supposed higher knowledge of the Bible.

7. A willingness to argue that Granola really does taste better with apple juice instead of milk.

I'm sure there are more. The term gets kicked around enough that I'm wondering what most folks think when they hear it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The belief that there is such a thing a Truth with a capital T. And that it's possible for anyone to know it.

Saying "I know" when you should say "I believe"

Saying, "I'm believing" when you should say, "I hope."

Edited by doojable

Some of these might be common to Christianity in general, or at least extremely dogmatic versions of Christianity (and other religions too for that matter. )

A grand sense of spiritual superiority (maybe political parties too)

One verse answers to life.

Immediate acquiescence to anyone in authority, regardless of the rightness or wrongness of their request.

A heightened sense of entitlement stemming from supposed higher knowledge of the Bible.

A willingness to argue that Granola really does taste better with apple juice instead of milk. (Now that one's just funny :biglaugh: )

In my opinion, Waybrain is characterized by an unthinking reflex to do something, or say something only because it was learned in TWI, without having independently verified whether somethiong was indeed true.

An example of Waybrain in myself is that I consistantly arrive 10 - 15 minutes early for things, not because I think it's a good idea, (and it often isa good idea) but because I've had it drilled into me for several decades.

Some of these might be common to Christianity in general, or at least extremely dogmatic versions of Christianity (and other religions too for that matter. )

In my opinion, Waybrain is characterized by an unthinking reflex to do something, or say something only because it was learned in TWI, without having independently verified whether something was indeed true.

I agree Oakspear. But in the case of "one verse answers to life" I also think it is the choice of that one verse that defines Waybrain.

Then there were the pat answers:

SIT is perfect prayer. It proves... well, you know...

A little broad there Mike, but definitely accurate.

That's the basic definition of anyone involved in any cult anywhere.

I would see SOME fellow grads acting this way all through the 70's and 80's and it gave me the creeps! I just couldn't see Jesus Christ acting that way at all. He embraced the lepers!

I think "Waybrain" really describes an ingrained behavior pattern.

It's that inner stubbornness that says "having done all, we must continue to STAND", never wavering or giving thoughtful consideration to opposing thoughts. It's relinquishing control to those in authority for no valid reason other than the fact they are in an authoritative position. It's retaining the naive belief that those in "leadership" have your best interests at heart. It's the reluctance to accept that The Way was really nothing more than a multi-level-marketing scheme that grew into a run-of-the mill, garden variety cult. It's that smug sense that comes from feeling that what we did in The Way was somehow superior to what others have done in countless other similar cults. After all, we were THE BEST! , dontcha know?

I would see SOME fellow grads acting this way all through the 70's and 80's and it gave me the creeps! I just couldn't see Jesus Christ acting that way at all. He embraced the lepers!

Yes. Jesus embraced the lepers. I don't see Docvic doing the same.

And he embodied all you just mentioned. Right??? :unsure:

Inability to mix with,

and/or relate to,

and/or respect,

and/or appreciate

anyone of a differing opinion or mindset.

Methinks so. How about you??

Edited by dmiller

It's that smug sense that comes from feeling that what we did in The Way was somehow superior to what others have done in countless other similar cults. After all, we were THE BEST! , dontcha know?

I'd even say that it's the smug sense that comes from feeling that what we did in the Way was somehow superior to what others have done - ever! We believed that we were the new saviors of the world and NO ONE was doing as much as we were.

I remember feeling like I didn't need to give to the poor - just witness. Homeless people? Witness to them! Charity? Bah! The poor will be with us always.

The problem was that I failed to see that I was among the poor.

Edited by doojable

Way-brain. A central nervous system encased in a PFAL book. Composed of neurons, supporting & nutritive structures [as glia] and a vast array of TWI doctrines, it integrates sensory information from inside and outside the body [not to be confused with the Body of Believers – although some former TWI personnel assert the group-think aspect of the Body of Believers is a vital part of the way-braining process].

Weigh brain. To ascertain the heaviness of one's thoughts. During the early years, it was a procedure only available through The Great Carnak and select Men of Gawd [usually only one MoG at a time during any given day and time and hour period - i.e. during their reign as the Grand Poobah] but with the proliferation of Psychic Hotlines, determining the atomic weight of a person's ideas is readily accessible through the agency of any licensed Know-it-all-tell-it-all-money-grubbing practitioner [call now, operators are standing by].

Whey brain. Watery part of milk found in the central nervous system enclosed in the skull that is separated from the coagulable part of curd esp. in the process of making cheese or cheering at a Green Bay Packers' game. Also referred to as "cheese head."

Edited by T-Bone