GreaseSpot Cafe

Excuses for Skipping Witnessing Night

Yeah, but Plot, can't you see the point of TWI's critism?

Here you invest all this time and niceness in people and you most likely won't extract any money out of them. In addition, you probably won't get any sympathy from them either since you probably won't tell them how the denominations are always picking on you and so on. And visiting sick shutins, how's that supposed to meet your needs?

Sheesh, what kind of minister ARE you anyway?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow plotinus .... that last line, REALLY rings bells...

NOW I know why I hated *door to door* so much...

I ALWAYS felt like I was hawking God...and was ashamed... I did it because I thought it was what one does if they *loved* God...but inside it made me so sick. I just thought it was my lack of spirituality that made me uncomfortable.

You KNOW God would have rather had us out there doing the types of things that you mentioned...instead of wasting all those hours/years trying to sell a bible class for a corrupt ministry.

What great good could have been accomplished, had we all really been working on his behalf...had all our energy been focused on making this world a better place for all man ...stead of just a few in NK Ohio.

Zix,

Saw your Top Ten ways Not to be asked back. Good!!

Here's one I ACTUALLY did on a witnessing Gestapo blitz- I was sentenced with a older person (no, going with the missus made too much sense), me heart wasn't in it (as usual), & I'd had enough of it. We were in a mall, & as we walked by it, a light bulb went on...

SCARE THE S#!T OUT OF MY PARTNER!!!!

I darted into a knife shop & asked the clerk to show me the biggest knifes they had-Bowies, foils, broadswords, axes, & some assorted accessories, like collapsable batons, butterfly knives. Yes!!!! Spent 30 minutes watching my partners' eyes bug!!

Got a "You're not there to play with knives" speech, but never got forced witnessing again.

...on the 8th Day, GOD made the Harley, & it was Good.

Oh God what a miserable adventure in self embarrassment that always was.

It was a worthless activity that served to only to interrupt people on weekends. It never worked. I never saw it work. They never did in the bible. But we did it once a month and the dread of doing it would last about 29 days.

I remember ducking that worthless religious song and dance by just lying.

I would lie.

I hated to ?witness?.

It was so fake. But we?d all put on our plastic little way faces and pair off and start rapping on doors.

And then we?d bolster the expected rejection with ?reasons? like the devil hates us doing this. Or that we were rem-gnats or something?

But?

Who in the hell wanted to join a religion that makes you bug people on weekends?

True our lines were as practiced as the verses we memorized, but the biggest draw back to the whole ?let?s go irritate the sh!t out people scenario?, was that absolutely no one wanted anything to do with a brand of religion you panhandled like overpriced vacuum cleaners or boxes of oranges.

Now, to me the only thing that could negate the always onerous rejection we?d receive would be to do some kind of miracle right in front of them? Magic tricks!! Like squash their dog with a car in their driveway and then raise it from the dead, or make their mailbox ?bud like Aaron?s rod?, or stick a flame retardant angel in their hedge and have it say in thunderous voice? ?BILL REMOVE THY SLIPPERS FROM OFF THY FEET FOR THOU SHALT SOON TAKE A CLASS?

But that obviously requires that God go ?with you? witnessing ? and He never ever went with us witnessing ?. ever. He always had an excuses though, and being God, (who never lies), no one really checked out any of His stories.

Was He really having to work on Sunday again?

Is He really sick with a stomach ache?

But the best one was: He had to make or repair another ?Galaxy ? that was conveniently either in another dimension or so far away it would take a trillion years to for the light to reach the earth ... that kind of crap.

JedI?

When I did go group witnessing, I never had any trouble talking to anyone. I'm one of those people who can walk up to any person from any background and start a conversation with them.

Part of that comes from some of the jobs I've had: selling vacuums door-to-door for a short time; coordinating crews of kids selling newspaper subscriptions; countless school and Boy & Girl Scut fund-raisers; part comes from a naturally outgoing personality.

The problem was that, even though I could talk to anybody, and could get to "The Word" with great facility, it was a big game to me. I would make the contact, cover the assigned subject, invite them to fellowship...but I didn't care. All I wanted was to cover the bases so "leadership" would stay off my butt.

The times when I did care was when I actually liked it:

• When I would stop by the bar on the way home from work and end up speaking the exact right words that someone needed to hear
  • The time on the way to Twig when I saw a guy walking down the street and just knew that I should invite him. I jumped out of the car after telling my son to take the wheel. My other son and I ran down the street, invited the guy to come with us, just as my son pulled up to the curb with my car.

"Planned" outreach, lists, all that crap, just took the joy out of it

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

"We...know how cruel the truth often is, and we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling"

Henri Poincare

You listen to them condemn and make fun of the Jehovah's Witnesses for doing the exact same things they are asking us to do.

Good Lord, people, if you don't like THEM knocking on YOUR door what makes you think THEY like YOU knocking on THEIR door???

TRULY, does anyone know how many people they screwed....errr....helped...by door to door witnessing? I know their success percentage just from Way Disciples who do this witnessing stuff full time is pathetic.