GreaseSpot Cafe

One Day Towering Corn was Born

skyrider

On the eve of twi's 51st Anniversary......(since wierwille was still an employed pastor at the E&R Church in Van Wert, Ohio until 1957.....it seems only honest and appropriate that twi's inception wasn't until then)......I wanted to send this historical greeting.

They Thought They Were Free (the Germans 1933-45)

by Milton Mayer

------snip------

From the book "They Thought They Were Free (the Germans 1933-45)" by Milton Mayer. One section, chapter 13, discusses how gradually the abuses of the Nazi's worsened, and how this was tolerated by the German people.

Excerpt:

"Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained, or on occasion, 'regretted,' that unless one were detached from the whole process from the beginning, unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these 'little measures' that no 'patriotic German' could resent must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field see the corn growing. One day it is over his head."

Above the Corn,

And Flying High,

:spy: ..skyrider

"Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained, or on occasion, 'regretted,' that unless one were detached from the whole process from the beginning, unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these 'little measures' that no 'patriotic German' could resent must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field see the corn growing. One day it is over his head."

Twi version:

"The vesper chimes beginning was so small, the plagairism so seemingly inconsequential, the stories of the audible voice from God so well-rehearsed and explained, and the speaker so charismatic, that unless one were detached from the whole process and never indoctrinated with pfal propaganda, unless one understood that the whole self-serving movement was a cult in principle, what all these "little measures" and classes and programs amounted to were wierwille's german heritage rising in the form of corps indoctrination, hail wierwille and his fervor of material abundance and indulgence, leading to astounding arrogance and elitism. In the process, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field saw the corn growing. One day the cornfield cult was over his head."

:evildenk:

Just think, people.... right this very minute we could be sitting in THE auditorium, hearing the Word in Song (as lately featured on The Soup) and lovingly dishing out our hard-earned money to those needy BOT (um, so they can move the Word of course!), and hearing such rousing speakers as Rosalie the Fox!! Why, I'm getting BLESSED just thinking about it, aren't you?????

Just think, people.... right this very minute we could be sitting in THE auditorium, hearing the Word in Song (as lately featured on The Soup) and lovingly dishing out our hard-earned money to those needy BOT (um, so they can move the Word of course!), and hearing such rousing speakers as Rosalie the Fox!! Why, I'm getting BLESSED just thinking about it, aren't you?????

yeah......watching some speaker READ the pre-approved "teaching"......ohh, how exciting. NOT

then.......stop at the bookstore to see the rehashed material.

then.......head out of ohio with, possibly, a 250-mile drive home.

then.......get the tape in the mail on thursday.

uhhhh.....no thanks.

:rolleyes:

Dude that reminds me of the Woodstock line, "Hey we just got word that there's some bad acid going around, brown acid so be careful and take it with however many grains of salt you want." (Of course I was thinking you ought to take it with with a sugar cube instead of salt grains but hey that was just me back then.....)

Anyway dude - you are reminding me of some bad acid trips when you refer to Rosalie as the Fox...maybe if you referred to her as the Shar Pei...

Edited by RumRunner

O-M-G.....

They STILL have "Decade of Prevailing" on their poster!!!!!!! http://www.theway.org/

What is wrong with these people????????

In most peoples' reckoning a decade refers to any part of a particular set of 10 years. For instance if an actor's career started in 1965 and went to 1988 they would say his career spanned three decades. (60s, 70s, 80s) So... "decade of prevailing" should have been confined to the 90s, right?

But, let's give twi the benefit of the doubt and say they wanted to count an actual 10 years as their decade. LCM started the "decade of prevailing" when? 1990? 1991? That means their decade ended like, um, six or seven years ago??

Oh, I know... maybe this is a "spiritual decade"... you know, like some people say the seven days of creation were "spiritual days" and not subject to our current, literal, interpretation. But didn't twi teach the literal version?

Okay, I'm stumped... How many years does it take to make a decade?

O-M-G.....

They STILL have "Decade of Prevailing" on their poster!!!!!!! http://www.theway.org/

What is wrong with these people????????

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

That poster looks like it's targeting third-graders.

"These people" don't live in the REAL WORLD......they live in a PETER-PAN WORLD. Okay, the guy in tights is no longer around.....but he "flew the coop" didn't he???

THAT POSTER says it all.........sitting on their butts like "obedient" little children with the fantasy tales that their "word" is going over the world.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Thehighway,

At least in the picture they are all sitting in chairs. One even has a rocking chair. A lot of us would have to sit on the floor back in the 70's and 80's. I guess they figured we were young and wouldn't mind. Well, I minded. Nothing to lean against.. rear end starting to hurt. Sheesh!

sudo

I don't know the exact year the Decade of Prevailing started, but it was before 97--I remember being on staff before that and having the decade of prevailing thing announced. I was gone from staff by 97.

I think there was a previous thread from another year's announcement of the theme where we also talked about how it had been more than a decade. It doesn't really matter much.

I am just thankful to not have to have THAT poster up on my wall!

Maybe they meant the "Generation of Prevailing"(40 years right?) :biglaugh: