GreaseSpot Cafe

teenage acne

excathedra

I've not used it, but a friend of mine told me that a creme with Retin-A works wonders. However, you may need a prescription to get it, and even if not, your son should see a dermatologist first to see what would be the best treatment.

Oh, and I know a woman who used Acutane, and it was terrible. It caused her to get scars by dramatically drying up the pimples, and she had problems with her joints, which is apparently common with that. My wife tried it a little while too and it caused a lot of problems, so she stopped it within a week.

ProActive is what my teenager uses and that stuff is AMAZING!

It's a daily maintenance, which is a pain for kids, but worth it. Then after some time, one or two might pop up, depending on stress, diet, etc., but not for long.

$19.95 for a four step process and that lasts about 2-3 months, so really cost effective too.

I recommend ProActive to everyone, it just works. I know of only one who it's not helped.

Gotta mail order it, so that's inconvenient. We are on the auto delivery, that's the convenient part once the result are so obvious.

Try this stuff!

I had moderate teenage acne. OTC benzoyl peroxide treatments worked fine (Stridex, Oxy 10, etc.). My stepson had NASTY acne (face, back, shoulders) and used Acutane, which helped, but didn't clear it all up. He eventually outgrew it.

Frequent washing is the best bet. If it's on his back, have him use a loufa or back brush when showering.

George

My daughter swears by Pro Active. She started breaking out after having her oldest child. At 31, she continues to use it as regular skin maintenance, and has gorgeous skin. She also eats very healthy, with few processes and packaged plastic food replacements [as she calls our modern grocery selections] :P

It has Alpha hydroxy acids to remove dead skin and allow healthy cells to "breathe", and it has Beta hydroxy acids that absorb into the skin to kill the bacteria.

The stuff was formulated by skin MD's, who at least have training in how the body operates.

my son (17) actually uses Mary Kay Acne Gel...and it works. He still needs to be more consistent with general face washing, but when he is, it works..think it is 7.00 a tube.

Do you know what the active ingredient is? It may be easy to find an equivalent product at Wal-Mart (probably for a lot less).

George

thank you everyone so much

and for the pm's

you people are so nice

he's done proactive

he is religious in washing his face and doing the products

it's on his face, not anywhere else, except maybe a bit on his head

his regular doctor gave him a prescription that didn't really work

i guess maybe he should go to the skin doctor (don't feel like spelling)

i feel so bad for him

i'm going broke and nothing works

my son -- 14, fair skin, miserable

anyone have advice? home remedies?

thanks so much

Fresh Garlic cut the clove and rub it on the acne. Plus find out if he's regular, skin conditions are often linked to digestive problems.

Seth

Both of my children 15 year old boy and 16 year old daughter and 2 of their friends the same age have taken Acutane and they loved it. They all 4 are clear of acne and it left no scars. It is a serious prescribed drug, but it worked for my kids. It is expensive if you do not have insurance that covers prescriptions. We tried home remedies and OTC products, but nothing worked and my daughter had it on her back and shoulders. You can imagine the self-esteem boost that gave, so we decided the dermatologist was what they needed.

We had to ask for it specifically when we went to the Dr. and they had to be on antibiotics one month before the Acutane treatment.

Edited by passthetrash

Here is another product that is all natural...aloe vera, clay, and water. Scroll down to see this kid's acne before and after photos...

I became interested in the clay treatment by Myriam years ago when I suffered from a severe bout with acne. My Uncle had acne such as this when he was my age as well, but he received no treatments. The difference today thanks to regular treatments is that unlike my uncle, I suffer virtually no scarring and you would never be able to guess the turmoil my face went through during puberty. I am still a customer and always grateful.

http://tigerseyeskincare.com/results.htm

I tried Proactive too and it didn't work for me. Then I found Murad Acne Treatment. It works better than Proactive because it treats several different kinds of acne problems. I've used it and also bought it for my grandson - it broke my heart that he had such bad acne too so I know how you feel. He now has the most beautiful (handsome) complexion now. I'd be totally surprised if it didn't help your son.

It's very reasonably priced too. Just google it. Beauty Brands carries the products too.

My skin problems cleared up in basic training. The first thing they did to me was remove my hair bangs, which I had grown to hide my face. This exposed my face to much more sunlight, which is a great killer of bacteria. Then the daily training in Tennessee in June and July caused me to sweat from every pore for 8 hours a day to the point that when I took off the uniform and the sweat dried, the salt from the sweat made the uniform white and crunchy like it was starched. Living without air conditioning caused me to take at least two showers a day, just to feel human. On the weekends, when we didn't have to train, we went to the Post's chlorinated swimming pool, most of the day to keep cool. The testosterone that normally would be have been used by the acne, seemed to be busy building new muscle tissue and rebuilding muscles stressed by the marching, training, exercising, and swimming.

How much change can 8 weeks of increased sun, increased sweating, increased exercising, increased shower taking, increased exposue to chlorine, and increased use of your body's natural testerone cause?

When my parents came to graduation ceremonies, my mother didn't recognize me until I talked to her.

I don't recommend joining the army, and I don't know which of the above was responsible for my skin clearing, but none of these things required doctor's prescription or money, and I have never been in that shape, in my life since.

That's just my alternative suggestion.