GreaseSpot Cafe

The Way's political recommendations

My3Cents

Does anyone know what the way leaders are telling their way-bots as far as who to vote for?

When I was in they always did - even though they tried to couch it in neutral terms so they wouldn't loose their tax exempt status (though that didn't always work). And, it was always for the republican.

Any insights from the inside this time?

PS - I'm not interested in turning this thread in to a discussion of your political views or mine. Nothing personal. I just want to know what the way is telling their flock, if anyone knows.

Does anyone know what the way leaders are telling their way-bots as far as who to vote for?

When I was in they always did - even though they tried to couch it in neutral terms so they wouldn't loose their tax exempt status (though that didn't always work). And, it was always for the republican.

PS - I'm not interested in turning this thread in to a discussion of your political views or mine. Nothing personal. I just want to know what the way is telling their flock, if anyone knows.

Well My3Cents,

If there ever was a way that someone could come up with a quick method of helping me determine WHO NOT TO VOTE FOR you may have found it. :jump:

Who does TWI want me to vote for? I'll very likely vote for their opponent.

At an otherwise "innocent" twi offshoot "twig" meeting.. (ahem, cough..)

the "teacher" shared on the "renewed mind." How people should control their minds.. unlike liberals, who did not. In fact, the liberals were in danger of "maybe not right away, but to be on the path to possession and homosexuality.."

and how, like *we* know, the conservatives had a wholesome, sound opinion on practically everything.

It was an election year, of course.

The really scary thing about it.. about fifteen people in the room were smiling, bobbing their heads affirmatively up and down..

For a moment, I thought I had walked into a den of lions..

:biglaugh:

So I just sat, and smiled.. the squirrel decided to stay incognito, and not have a room full of fanatics desperately trying to cast "devils" out of him..

So, the "spirits" stayed safely "undetected" from their awesome spiritual powers..

I guess the dark side has clouded their "vision"..

Edited by Ham

I am going to try to type this without throwing something.

Early 90's was ordered to have an abortion (I was a bad wayfer and refused)

2000 Election voted for Gore, and was bitched at by same person in the previous sentence for voting for a "pro-abortion" politician. Some people even after being away do not change.

I think this follows the logic or lack of we are commenting on.

At an otherwise "innocent" twi offshoot "twig" meeting.. (ahem, cough..)

the "teacher" shared on the "renewed mind." How people should control their minds.. unlike liberals, who did not. In fact, the liberals were in danger of "maybe not right away, but to be on the path to possession and homosexuality.."

adhering to intolerance does not equal "controlling their minds"...besides, wasn't there an elected conservative republican who was recently busted for cruising public restrooms looking for other men?

If the republicans who now hold office represent those who "control their minds", I would suggest that they have not brought every thought captive to the obedience of Christ...

I find much more Christian thought and behavior amoung liberals than I do amoung conservatives...

My guess is that twi supports McCain and Palin.

Gee, the squirrel was safe in the lions' den.

:blink:

Will miracles never cease? :rolleyes:

Yeah. I was a masquerading as a liberal wearing a conservative's skin.

really.. it was so surreal.. it's like, the allegations this person was making was so far "out there".. I really wasn't prepared to argue with that level of "nuttiness".. no less with a room full of .. well, I won't use that word.. who were sitting there in agreement..

.besides, wasn't there an elected conservative republican who was recently busted for cruising public restrooms looking for other men?

Groucho, they probably think he was a closet liberal..

Way back in the day, I went to a presentation titled something like "Gods Word in Government," put on by some guy dining out on the fact that he was the son of some prominent person at HQ.

Anyways, after the chap showed how our Founding Fathers came up with our form of government from the Bible (convenienlty omitting the influence of folks like Voltaire and Rousseau), we were given the opportunity to purchase some lovely glossy 8x10s of Ronald Reagan....... who and which had nothing to do with what was presented.

This set off a warning bell in my head.

As time went on, this episode helped me to be wary and to not believe everything I heard.

I was ordered by my FC to vote for Bush in 2000. after that, whenever the conversation turned to politics, I stepped away. that was the last year I heard explicit directives from leadership on who to vote for, but I'm pretty sure they continued to guide people toward the "best" candidate with after-fellowship criticisms.

I was ordered by my FC to vote for Bush in 2000. after that, whenever the conversation turned to politics, I stepped away. that was the last year I heard explicit directives from leadership on who to vote for, but I'm pretty sure they continued to guide people toward the "best" candidate with after-fellowship criticisms.

That's someone I think I would have had some fun with.

I may have made it point to go to them and get up close and ask, "Hey ____, guess who I voted for today?"

Then when they asked, I would refuse to tell them, no matter whether I voted for the candidate they wanted me to or not.

To have that sort of presumption in thinking they can tell me what to do is off-putting, to say the least, and certainly disrespectful and I am not going to stand for that sort of treatment from anyone.

yeah, I've refused to tell anyone how I voted on anything after that :) ... it used to drive my ex crazy and he would pester me incessantly, since he had to report back to leadership on what I was doing, but I never broke my vow of silence on my vote.

yeah, I've refused to tell anyone how I voted on anything after that :) ... it used to drive my ex crazy and he would pester me incessantly, since he had to report back to leadership on what I was doing, but I never broke my vow of silence on my vote.

Good move.

I hope you worked in the phrase, "It would be unAmerican."

I believe it was in the mid-90's, but I do remember a memo that came out from HQ where they stated they did not recommend or endorse any candidate or would tell people how to vote. I think it might have backfired on them in the past - but I'm not totally sure about that.... that's just my impression from the memo.

In 1976 (Ohio) were were told to write-in a particular candidate. I can't remember who it was but it wasn't McCarthy. That was a vote down the crrrapper.

You might be thinking of Sen. Hayes Gahagan from Maine. I remember TWI actually got in some trouble over that (about the same time frame you are remembering - mid 70's) - to answer both you and ChasUFarley's layer post. Drambuie Vic organized what he called POWOWs (political WOWs). They were sent to Maine to hand out electioneering materials. TWI got in trouble for a) alleged block voting and b) some kind of improper involvement in the national election process. They got in trouble again later in Emporia when the campus was a voting site and all of the tallies were identical - Might have been for the Carter election. Vic never openly endorsed Carter but simply said at a Corps meeting - "I like the guy...he's a Christian." Of course if Vic liked him you voted for him...how subtle...how wayish...

You might be thinking of Sen. Hayes Gahagan from Maine. I remember TWI actually got in some trouble over that (about the same time frame you are remembering - mid 70's) - to answer both you and ChasUFarley's layer post. Drambuie Vic organized what he called POWOWs (political WOWs). They were sent to Maine to hand out electioneering materials. TWI got in trouble for a) alleged block voting and b) some kind of improper involvement in the national election process. They got in trouble again later in Emporia when the campus was a voting site and all of the tallies were identical - Might have been for the Carter election. Vic never openly endorsed Carter but simply said at a Corps meeting - "I like the guy...he's a Christian." Of course if Vic liked him you voted for him...how subtle...how wayish...

It was Thomas J. Anderson, a high ranking member of the John Birch Society.

The JBS believed, at that time, that there was an Illuminati based conspiracy to gain World Power.

See the connection?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_J._Anderson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_Party

Edited by waysider