GreaseSpot Cafe

Recipes for Sticky Toffee Pudding and Other Fall Deserts

now I see

I'm looking for a few new recipes for fall and Thanksgiving, specifically one for Sticky Toffee Pudding, and any desert recipe using pumpkin, whether its cheesecake, pie, cake or cookies, or for that matter, any Fallish type desert.  Anyone have any desert recipes they like to share?

Here's a recipe for Pumpkin Bars that's fairly easy and is a standard at our house for the holidays, the kids really like these too.

Iced Pumkin Bars

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin 

puree

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

2 cups white sugar

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons baking powder

1 tablespoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup vegetable oil

4 eggs

4 1/2 ounces cream cheese, 

softened

9 tablespoons butter, softened

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 cups confectioners' sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons milk

Optional: About 1/4 cup chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans or slivered almonds.

In a medium bowl combine the pumpkin, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and sugar.  Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, slowly add the oil, eggs and pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture. 

Mix and pour the batter into greased 17 x 11 inch sheet pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.

To make Frosting: Cream the cream cheese, 9 tablespoons butter, vanilla together. Slowly add the confectioners' sugar and milk.  Sprinkle chopped walnuts, or pecans over frosting, cut into bars.

Edited by now I see

This is the only recipe I use for making Pumpkin Bread. It has come out delicious every time.

Moist Pumpkin Bread

2/3 cup shortening

2 2/3 cups sugar

4 eggs

2 cups cooked, mashed pumpkin

2/3 cup water

3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp soda

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp ground cloves

2/3 cup pecans or walnuts, ground (optional)

2/3 cup raisins

Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs; mix well. Stir in pumpkin and water.

Combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves; add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Fold in pecans and raisins. Spoon into 2 well-greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pans; bake at 350 degrees F (176 degrees C) for an hour and 10 minutes or until bread tests done.

Yield: 2 loaves

Southern Living annual cookbook

enjoy

Now I see, Here's two that I love. When I find my Zucchini bread recipe I'll include it.

This banana bread is the Best I have ever tasted, never dry. I used to get request for it around Thanksgiving and Christmas when I lived near family.

Bread

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 cup butter, divided

2 very ripe bananas, cut into small pieces

1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

1 3/4 cups all-purpose (strong flour)

2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

Frosting (optional) I've never used it before, but sounds good

1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar

1 package (3oz) cream cheese, softened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C). For bread, combine brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter is melted. Add bananas and pecans, stirring until well coated. Cool to room temperature.

In a large bowl, cream remaining butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs. In another bowl, sift together next 4 ingredients. Mix dry ingredient into creamed mixture. Stir in banana mixture. Divide batter evenly between 2 greased 3-1/2x6-3/4 inch loaf pans. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.

For Frosting, combine sugar and cream cheese in a medium bowl. Using medium speed of an electric mixer, mix until smooth. Drizzle frosting over bread.

Store in airtight container.

Yield: 2 loaves

The Spirit of Christmas, book 5

enjoy!

gc

Hi

Nothing says Fall like apples--but having made apple pie Sat and Apple Crisp last night--(because the apple pie was GONE). . . . I am sick to bits of apples!!

A good one here is Indian Pudding. Seems like a big deal to make, but it is not really too difficult.

Served warm with vanilla ice-cream it is so much a Fall favorite. I think it might be a New England thing. . . .

Indian Pudding Recipe

Ingredients

6 cups of milk

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal

1/4 cup flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup molasses

3 eggs, beaten

1/3 cup of granulated sugar

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

1 teaspoon of nutmeg

1 cup golden raisins (optional)

Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

Method

1 Scald the milk and butter in a large double boiler. Or heat the milk and butter for 5 or 6 minutes on high heat in the microwave, until it is boiling, then transfer it to a pot on the stove. Keep hot on medium heat.

2 Preheat oven to 250°F.

3 In a separate bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, and salt; stir in molasses. Thin the mixture with about 1/2 cup of scalded milk, a few tablespoons at a time, then gradually add the mixture back to the large pot of scalded milk. Cook, stirring until thickened.

4 Temper the eggs by slowly adding a half cup of the hot milk cornmeal mixture to the beaten eggs, whisking constantly. Add the egg mixture back in with the hot milk cornmeal mixture, stir to combine. Stir in the sugar and spices, until smooth. At this point, if the mixture is clumpy, you can run it through a blender to smooth it out. Stir in the raisins (optional). Pour into a 2 1/2 quart shallow casserole dish. Bake for 2 hours at 250°F.

5 Allow the pudding to cool about an hour to be at its best. It should be reheated to warm temperature if it has been chilled. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

This one is easy --and a really nice combination--the cranberries give it a zing and say "Fall". :)

Cranberry Orange Quick Bread

Ingredients

1 cup all purpose flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup orange juice

1 each orange zested, with juice

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg

1 cup cranberries, coarsely chopped

1/4 cup toasted and chopped walnuts

Directions

Grease a 9 X 5 loaf pan with wax paper or parchment paper inside. Combine flours, sugar, baking soda, stir to mix and set aside.

In large bowl, combine orange juice, oil, sugar and egg.

Beat with mixer.

Slowly add dry ingredients and stir in orange zest and cranberries.

Pour in loaf pan and bake at 325 degrees F for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Turn out onto wire rack to cool.

I know you asked for pumpkin recipes. . . . my kids would never eat anything with pumpkin--unless I lied to them and told them it was something else. Same with Zuchinni bread. Worked when they were little--they have caught on now--so, I just don't make it.

But. . . . this is a good Pumpkin Bar recipe.

I am sure you can use fresh pumpkin in these if you like.

Ingredients:

3 eggs

1-2/3 cups sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

One 16-ounce can pumpkin

2 cups flour

2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup each: nuts and raisins

Ingredients for Icing

3 ounces cream cheese

1/2 cup butter

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups confectioners sugar

Bars: Combine all ingredients and spread in 13 x 9-inch greased and floured pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Icing: Beat all ingredients until creamy and thick. Spread on cooled pumpkin bars

I put a recipe for Sticky Toffee Pudding on this forum about a year ago. I will see if I can post a link. That's when I find the recipe.

Sticky Toffee Pudding

(This is a totally weird looking recipe, especially the bit about making the sauce. But "stick" with it!)

The recipe is pretty good natured and flexible in the amounts.

For Americans, please note 1 oz is about 25g and 500ml is about 22 oz liquid, rather more than a US pint.

For the sponge:

100g dark muscovado sugar

175g Self Raising flour

125ml full fat milk

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla extract (I never bother)

50g unsalted butter

For the sauce:

200g dark muscavado sugar

25g unsalted butter in blobs

500ml boiling water

Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5/190deg C and butter a 1 1/2 litre (3 pint?) capacity pudding dish.

Combine 100g sugar with flour in large bowl.

Pour the milk into a measuring jug, beat in the egg, vanilla and melted butter and then pour over sugar and flour, stirring with a wooden spoon to combine. Put into dish.

Sprinkle over the 200g sugar and dot with butter. Pour over the boiling water and transfer carefully to the oven. Set timer for 45 minutes, though pudding may need 5 or 10 minutes more.

Top of pudding should be springy and spongy when it's cooked, underneath is a rich sticky sauce.

================================================

Comment:

You will need a fairly large dish as the water on top stands proud before it's cooked; and the mixture rises quite a lot after cooking.

We made this with chopped up dates mixed into the sponge mixture, which added a really delicious flavour. No doubt other fruits (sultanas?) or perhaps nuts could be added to give extra interest to the flavour.

The vanilla essence could be substituted for coffee or other essence to complement other fruits and the taste of the sticky toffee sauce.

GC, two interesting recipes. Both make the sauce separately.

The recipe I posted includes it as part of the whole process so the pudding is deliciously sticky (as demonstrated at last year's Texas BBQ).

Video Jug is pretty cool for recipes. They are usually simple and it's nice that they show you all the weapons you'll need to make the recipe. Sometimes they go into overkill and it's always worth a look at the comments underneath the recipe to see what others have thought if they have tried this particular method.

Thanks everyone, geisha, gc, and Twinky, those are some great recipes!!!!

Those links are great, gc, and your bread recipes too, I love, love, love Banana Bread, those links also have a lot of good recipes too. 

I should have done a search for your Sticky Toffee Pud recipe Twinky, thanks for reprinting it, I tried to do the sauce separately the last time I made it, and it didn't come out the way I wanted it to, I'm going to try it like in your recipe-in the same pan, sounds delish!

Geisha, I've never had Indian Pudding, the recipe sounds like it would be good on a cold winter's nite...it sounds like you have a big apple crop still, have you tried canning?  There's some killer canning recipes for apples, and it's really not that hard to do once you get used to it, plus you can give them away as gifts!!!  You can can apple pie filling, apple sauce, apple butter, apple jelly, cinnamon candied apple slices, etc.  You also can make these recipes and freeze them in containers instead of canning in a water bath, for that matter you can make apple pies and freeze them unbaked as well.  Have you tried making apple cider?  Here's a how to link: http://www.allsands.com/food/recipes/apple...reci_tsm_gn.htm

Good luck with the apples!!

Thanks again everyone-great recipes!!

Edited by now I see

Now I See

Here is that English Recipe for Chocolate Fudge Pudding. It is a baked thingy--a little spongy and so good.

Pudding

4 Oz butter

4 Oz caster sugar

2 Medium eggs

3 OZ self rising flour

2 Tbsp cocoa powder

1/2 tsp vanilla

1-2 tbsp milk

Sauce

4 Oz soft brown sugar

2 tbsp cocoa

1/2 pint boiling water

Set oven to 375. Place all pudding ingredients into a bowl and beat well into a soft consistency. Put into a 2 1/2 Pint ovenproof dish. Make the sauce by combining the sugar and cocoa in a bowl and adding the hot water. Mix well. Pour this sauce over the pudding mixture. Bake for 40 minutes. Turn out pudding(I never do) and a thick chocolate sauce will have formed.

I serve this warm with whipping cream beaten not quite thick(a little runny) and since it is sweet I only add a bit of sugar to the cream.

Sometimes I will make a brown sugar and vanilla whipped cream to go with it. Whipping cream is fun to experiment with. You can add cream cheese to make it thick--or try different essences--like butter rum or almond.

Hope you like it--it is a family favorite here!

Here is the Sticky Toffee recipe from the same book. I didn't look to closely--someone else may have posted the same one.

Pudding

6Oz stoned dates-roughly chopped

1/2 pint boiling water

2 OZ butter

6 Oz Caster sugar

8 Oz flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 medium egg

1 tsp baking soda

i tsp vanilla

Sauce

2 Oz butter

3 Oz brown sugar

2 Tbsp double or single cream

Set oven to 350. Pour the boiling water over the dates and the baking soda and leave to stand. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale in color. Gradually stir in the egg, flour, and baking powder. Stir in the dates with the liquid and lastly the vanilla. Put the mixture into a greased 2 1/2 pt ovenproof dish and bake for approx 40 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. Make the sauce by boiling the ingredients together for 2 minutes and pour over warm pudding. Serves 4-6

Thanks Geisha, those recipe's look great, I will definitely try the chocolate pudding, its a wonder why these puddings aren't more popular here, I wonder if I can do this recipe in individual ramekins and not mess it up too much?

I found another great fall recipe in this month's issue of Martha Stewart's Living Magazine, it's a twist on the traditional pumpkin pie.  It has a graham cracker crust with a melted chocolate layer on top between the crust and the filling, and then it has melted chocolate mixed into the flling, with chocolate drizzled on top after it has baked:

mla103804_1108_choc_pump_l.jpg

Triple Chocolate Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients

Serves 12.

FOR THE GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST 

2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs (about 16 crackers)

3 ounces (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61 percent cacao), finely chopped

FOR THE FILLING 

6 ounces semisweet chocolate (preferably 55 percent cacao), chopped

2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin

1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk

3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar

3 large eggs

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Ground cloves

1 ounce milk chocolate, melted

Directions

Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugars, salt, and cinnamon in bowl. Firmly press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie dish. Bake until firm, 8 to 10 minutes. 

Remove from oven, and sprinkle bittersweet chocolate over bottom of crust. Return to oven to melt chocolate, about 1 minute. Spread chocolate in a thin layer on bottom and up sides. Let cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.

Make the filling: In a large heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt semisweet chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. 

Mix pumpkin, milk, brown sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and a pinch of cloves in a medium bowl. Whisk 1/3 pumpkin mixture into chocolate mixture. Whisk in remaining pumpkin mixture until completely incorporated. 

Transfer pie dish to a rimmed baking sheet, and pour pumpkin mixture into crust. Bake until center is set but still a bit wobbly, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool in pie dish on a wire rack. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 8 hours (preferably overnight). Before serving, drizzle melted milk chocolate on top. Serve immediately.

I would just stick to the baking dish the first time Now I See--it actually rises and I would hate to see it spill over.

These are awesome desserts and so easy. The English make the best puddings--well, they pretty much call all desserts pudding--but they are yummy.

I bought a bunch of little cookbooklets when I was there last and use them all the time.

I am now on the hunt for clotted cream--you mentioned it is sold in glass jars. Just the thought of a proper tea makes me smile.

When I was younger I used to get to go to fancy hotels and have tea once in awhile --so fun. I found my manners quickly in those places!!