GreaseSpot Cafe

President Barack Obama

Brushstroke

Am pleased about that.

Landslide victory too. None of this recounting business.

Here's wishing him well.

He will need all the prayer he can get.

I Tim. 1:

1 First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men,

2 for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.

3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,

4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Today, I woke up in a world where anything can be accomplished if we work hard enough.

I find myself breaking out into spontaneous grins.

There is much to do, so it's a good thing that we're not afraid of hard work.

What we have is a chance.

It's like a pristine, just-snowed-on back yard, before anybody has put any footprints on it yet. The paths that we make will be very telling.

Yes, lots of prayer would surely be good.

What if we call it a "convincing win"?

The biggest win for a democrat in 44 years...not to mention flipping 7 states from red to blue...

I would say that the people have spoken.

All fair. "Landslide" does overstate it. But "convincing win" is totally fair.

All fair. "Landslide" does overstate it. But "convincing win" is totally fair.

he even won in Florida...that should be good for tourism with all the dems feeling it is now safe to go back in the water down there...even though Jeb may be lurking somewhere undercover until maybe 2012.

For me it's been a long time coming...40 years to be exact.

In 1968, as a first-time voter, I was so filled with hope and enthusiasm. We got Nixon. I think most of us know how that turned out.

Now, forty years later, I finally felt genuine excitement and hope again when I went to vote. It's been a long, long time coming.

President Barack Obama will have his work cut out for him, to be sure. His face last night showed that he's aware of the challenges ahead, and yet it also showed his determination to lead this country through those challenges.

I'm grinning with you, NIKA!

What if we call it a "convincing win"?

The biggest win for a democrat in 44 years...not to mention flipping 7 states from red to blue...

I would say that the people have spoken.

The win was without question, but the popular vote was fairly split clearly a country divided. Thanks to the electorial vote system it won him the election. Now how that happened is another story.

The win was without question, but the popular vote was fairly split clearly a country divided. Thanks to the electorial vote system it won him the election. Now how that happened is another story.

Even the popular vote was more decisive than it has been... definitely a bigger margin than Bush had either time... 52-46 percent... and 364-173 is better than 2 to 1 electoral vote margin... that, to me seems VERY convincing... Clinton had bigger margins in 1996, but Bush was nowhere close to Obama's margins in either 2000 or 2004.

Bush was nowhere close to Obama's margins in either 2000 or 2004.
.. and Bush labelled '04 a "mandate"

I'll agree with Senator McCain who in his gracious concession speech said

"the American people have spoken and they have spoken clearly"

I'l like to add that those were all REAL Americans who spoke so clearly

Obama won the popular vote by 7 and a half MILLION votes

...I'd like to know in what universe thats considered close :biglaugh:

Edited by mstar1

The election result has been really well received in the UK. Black communities here have especially enjoyed it, and there is nothing like the polarisation of black/white here, compared to in the USA.

One headline reads: "He's black, from a single parent, so what excuse is there now?" pulled from a longer quote reading: "He's a black man, from a single parent background, so what excuse do these kids [drug dealers whose excuse is that they are from single-parent black families] have now? Obama know what it feels like for people to say, 'You're no good' and to prove them wrong."

It's not just the black community in the UK which is delighted with this result, lots of whites and Asians are, too.

This man has so very much to deal with in the months and years ahead. Eight years of greed to sort out. War. Financial complications. International expectations.

I do hope that the excitement at his election does not quickly turn to anger as he attempts to tackle the huge problems in front of him, to which there are no quick, let alone instant, answers.

He and his prospective administration tem certainly need those prayers that Mark mentions.

Edited by Twinky

This is the happiest I've ever felt after an election. While I know he won't be perfect, I think Obama is a good man who has the intelligence and character to do a good job. I wish him the best of luck.

Also, I thought McCain's speech should be studied by politicians to come. He was graceful, patriotic, and restored some of the respect I used to have for him. I hope he and Obama can work together on some important issues going forward.

Today, I woke up in a world where anything can be accomplished if we work hard enough.

I find myself breaking out into spontaneous grins.

There is much to do, so it's a good thing that we're not afraid of hard work.

What we have is a chance.

It's like a pristine, just-snowed-on back yard, before anybody has put any footprints on it yet. The paths that we make will be very telling.

Yes, lots of prayer would surely be good.

I loved your post NIKA. We do have hope, and as a united country, we can accomplish so much more.

I voted for McCain, but not out of extreme support. I guess it was out of fear and indecision.

When I heard Obama's speech on Tuesday night, I was moved as I saw a man who believes and cares for this country. He even addressed those who didn't vote for him by saying "And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn – I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too." That shows me heart. I believe he will work to unify this country.

Political party lines have divided this country in a huge way. Politics is an area which causes people to speak and treat each other in terrible ways. Maybe we can become one nation indivisible. Maybe we can learn to hear other points of view without tearing down.

It is impossible to have a President who makes every single American happy. That job is not one I would ever desire. But I have a huge amount of respect for Barack Obama. I did not feel that way until Tuesday night after he won. I look forward to the future again.