GreaseSpot Cafe

Pumpkin pie

Twinky

Does anyone have a nice recipe for pumpkin pie?

Or other pumpkin things?

I have a pumpkin cheesecake recipe which is delicious.

Technically I think what I tend to use is called a squash - big, pale green skin, not quite spherical but slightly squashed (hence the name?) but solid and filled with vivid orange flesh. Makes delicious soup, roasts nicely.

This vege (really a fruit) is not really well known in Brit cooking but every time I've cooked and served any kind of pumpkin/ squash recipe it's always been received with surprised interest and pleasure.

you could make the pie the way my ex tried{she was only 18} she took all the guts out,tossed the seeds,and used the rest of the guts for filling!

hey,at least she tried! and by the way she turned out to be a good cook,with a little advise and mentoring!

GC, what are the following:

Pumpkin pie spice = ?cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon? Some combination of whatever one fancies.

All purpose flour is (I think) plain flour (no raising agent)

Shortening = some kind of fat - butter? margarine? lard?

Dooj, look forward to your recipes!

Twinky,

If you use real pumpkins the seeds don't need to go to waste--you can roast them for a great snack.

http://www.wikihow.com/Roast-Pumpkin-Seeds

Pumpkin soup is a seasonal favorite here in New England--not at my house(LOL) but at this time of year it is everywhere. Maybe this recipe is a bit different than what you already make.

http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/food-Pumpkin-Soup.html

I still have two pumpkins sitting on our front porch--they somehow survived being smashed on Halloween! I would use them, but nobody will eat anything with pumpkin. . . . . unless I fake them out. . . which is getting harder to do. . . so they will sit on the porch I guess. . .

As for spices--clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, and even a bit of ginger is nice with pumpkin.

All purpose flour is http://www.bigoven.com/whatis.aspx?id=All-Purpose%20Flour

Shortening is Crisco--or butter or marg. . . . I use applesauce sometimes instead of shortening. Some kind of binding that is less fat.

My pumpkin soup is always different but basically along the following lines:

Chop an onion up small

Simmer onion in a little oil until translucent but not brown

Add garlic if desired; be careful not to burn - add towards end of cooking period for onions

Chuck in pumpkin diced into 1" cubes

Add water to cover the pumpkin

Add herbs or spices as desired

Simmer until pumpkin is soft (about 20-30 mins)

Mash it all up

Add more hot water if it's too thick

BUT there are variations on a theme

Original recipe called for chicken stock but I dislike the taste of the stock cube.

I made some recently and cut some bacon up and fried gently with the onion, then added the pumpkin and rest of ingredients. It was deliciously rich in flavor, and surprisingly sweet, from the bacon. This version was particularly well received.

Have not tried adding other meats, but would go well with chicken or pork, probably. Or venison.

Other veg can be included - say carrots - or whatever you want - but potato will dull the flavor.

A little red wine is nice and tasty but the soup loses its lovely orange color.

It's nice with garlic, ginger, most spices, a pinch or so of curry powder...

Garnish, perhaps, with a swirl of yoghurt and a pinch of fresh herbs.

Nice with crusty warm bread (yum!)

Twinky,

Pumpkin Pie Spice

Ingredients:

* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

* 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger

* 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

* 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients. If you make extra, store in an airtight container.

Yes, all purpose is plain or strong flour.

shortening is vegetable oil that is solid at room temperature. I have found it at Tescos near the goose fat. Not sure its called shortening here though. It doesn't burn as fast as butter or margarine, so its also great to grease baking dishes with.

Sorry it took me awhile to answer.

Thanks geisha :)

gc

Hey Dooj, still looking forward to your recipes! I know they'll be both excellent and simple! :)

I'm so sorry Twinky. I've been so much busier than I anticipated.

*runs to the bookshelf to get her recipes*

Nannie's Pumpkin Bread

Mix:

3 Cups sugar

1 Cup oil

4 eggs, beaten after each addtion

Mix and sift together:

3 Cups flour

1 1/2 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp allspice

2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

2 Cups (1 can) solid pack pumpkin

1 Tbsp vanilla

1 Cup pecans (optional)

1 pkg chopped dates (optional)

Add dry ingredients to egg mixture.

*Note - when I ate this, the cook did not include the pecans and dates - and it was delicious!*

Spray either 2 large or 3 medium loaf pans, or one Bundt pan with Pam (A non-stick cooking spray)

Bake at 350* F

Lg pans - 45-50 min

med pans - 37-45 min

Bundt pan - 1 hr

Cool completely before removing from bans.

*Runs back to the shelf and grabs another book.*

Praline Pumpkin Tart

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 Tbsp granulated sugar

3/4 tsp salt, divided

1/4 cup vegetable shortening

1/4 cup butter or margarine

2 to 4 Tbsp cold water

1 can (13 oz) evaporated milk (1 1/2 cups)

2 eggs

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp ground cloves

Praline Topping

Sweetened Whipped Cream

Additional cinnamon and pecans for garnish.

(Steps 1 through 3 can be eliminated if you prefer to use pie crust from the refrigerated section of your grocery store. Make sure you get a crust for a 9" pie.)

1. For crust, combine flour, granulated sugar and 1/4 tsp salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening and butter using pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture forms pea-sized pieces.

2. Sprinkle flour mixture with water, 1Tbsp at a time. Toss with fork until mixture holds together. Press together to form a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until chilled.

3. Remove plastic wrap. Flatten dough into 5" - 6" disc. Lightly flour surface and rolling pin. Roll dough in short strokes starting in the middle of the disc rolling out toward the edge using rolling pin. Rotate dough 1/4 turn to the right. Sprinkle more flouir under dough and on rolling pin as necessary to prevent sticking. Contimue to roll and rotate dough 2 to 3 more times. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness.

4. Trim dough to 1" larger than inverted 10" tart pan with removable bottom or 1 1/2 inches larger than inverted 9' pie plate. Place rolling pin on one side of dough. Gently roll dough over rolling pin once.

5. Carefully lift rolling pin and dough, unrolling dough over tart pan. Ease dough into tart pan with fingertips. Do not stretch dough. Cut dough even with edge of tart pan. (Roll and flute edge of dough in pie plate.)

6. Cover tart crust with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes to relax dough.

7. Preheat oven to 400*F.

8. To blind bake tart crust, pierce tart crust with tines of fork at 1/4" intervals, about 40 times.

9. Cut a square of foil about 4" larger than tart pan. Line tart pan with foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or ceramic pie weights.

10. Bake 10 minutes or until set. Remove from oven. Gently remove foil lining and beans. Return to oven and bake 5 minute or until very light brown. Cool completely on wire rack. (If using beans or rice, save to use again for blind baking. They are no longer usable in recipes.)

11. For filling, preheat oven to 400*F Beat pumpkin, milk, eggs, brown sugar, 1tsp cinnamon, remaining

1/2 tsp of salt, ginger and cloves in large bowl with electric mixer at low speed. Pour into cooled tart crust. Bake 35 minutes.

12. Prepare Praline Topping. Sprinkle topping over center of tart leaving 1 1/2" rim around edge of tart.

13. Bake 15 minutes more or until knife inserted 1" from center comes out clean.

14. Cool completely on wire rack. Prepare Sweetened Whipped Cream and spoon into decorating bag with fluted tip. Piple whipped cream around edge of tart making decorative edge. Sprinkle additional cinnamon over whipped cream. Garnish with pecan halves.

Praline Topping

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/3 cup chopped pecans

1/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats

1Tbsp butter or margarine, softened

Place sugar, pecans and oats in small bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs form.

Sweetened Whipped Cream

1 cup heavy cream

2 Tbsp powdered sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla

Chill large bowl, beaters and cream thoroughly. Place cream, sugar and vanilla into chilled bowl and beat with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. To test, lift beaters from whipping cream; mixture should have droopy, but definite peaks. Do not overbeat. Refrigerate.

Makes about 2 cups.

Edited by doojable

• 2 weeks later...

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Bourbon Sour Cream Topping

Ingredients:

For the crust

ยท 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs

ยท 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

ยท 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

ยท 1/4 cup granulated sugar

ยท 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

For the filling

ยท 1 1/2 cups solid pack pumpkin

ยท 3 large eggs

ยท 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

ยท 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

ยท 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

ยท 1/2 teaspoon salt

ยท 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

ยท three 8-ounce packages cream cheese, cut into bits and softened

ยท 1/2 cup granulated sugar

ยท 2 tablespoons heavy cream

ยท 1 tablespoon cornstarch

ยท 1 teaspoon vanilla

ยท 1 tablespoon bourbon liqueur or bourbon if desired

For the topping

ยท 2 cups sour cream

ยท 2 tablespoons granulated sugar

ยท 1 tablespoon bourbon liqueur or bourbon, or to taste

ยท 16 pecan halves for garnish

Preparation:

Make the crust:

In a bowl combine the cracker crumbs, the pecans, and the sugars, stir in the butter, and press the mixture into the bottom and 1/2 inch up the side of a buttered 9-inch springform pan. Chill the crust for 1 hour.

Make the filling:

In a bowl whisk together the pumpkin, the egg, the cinnamon, the nutmeg, the ginger, the salt, and the brown sugar. In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream together the cream cheese and the granulated sugar, beat in the cream, the cornstarch, the vanilla, the bourbon liqueur, and the pumpkin mixture, and beat the filling until it is smooth.

Pour the filling into the crust, bake the cheesecake in the middle of a preheated 350ยฐF (176.7*C) oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the center is just set, and let it cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes.

Make the topping:

In a bowl whisk together the sour cream, the sugar, and the bourbon liqueur.

Spread the sour cream mixture over the top of the cheesecake and bake the cheesecake for 5 minutes more. Let the cheesecake cool in the pan on a rack and chill it, covered, overnight. Remove the side of the pan and garnish the top of the cheesecake with the pecans.

I haven't tried this recipe, but it looked like something special. I've made a sour cream topping on cheese cake before and it was good, but I've always mixed it with whipped cream and fresh berries.

gc :)

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Bourbon Sour Cream Topping

Ingredients:

ยท 1 tablespoon bourbon liqueur or bourbon, or to taste

Now the key is "or to taste" isn't it?

Sounds like a good recipe if you have a sweet tooth