GreaseSpot Cafe

Do you drive an American Made Car?

cheranne

Notta-if you look on the UAW website, it will show the current contract the autoworkers have, the $70 + figure is a little misleading, their acutal take home pay starts at $28.00/hr, the average worker makes about $35/hr, the other approx $35.00 comes in the form of a retirement pension fund, health and medical benefits, tuition fund, etc.  They actually average a take home pay of $58k-$75k before taxes.

When you break it down, there's not a huge difference from other corps who have a retirement plan.  The difference is today, there's no loyalty when it comes to corporations and employment, people don't always work at the same job for 20-30 years, and few get a retirement plan outside of government or civil servant jobs. 

And under the new contract with the tiered system, new hires make about $14 - $15 an hour. Barely enough to pay the rent, utilities, etc. and buy food. Hard to buy a new car on that income.

Meanwhile, the CEO's are making millions each year and the executives aren't far behind them. It isn't the unions that did this, it is the management. I think before the lower wage earners are asked to make more concessions, the CEO's and executives need to make a few. Why does anyone need to make $14 - $15 MILLION dollars PER YEAR? Just how much crap can one family possibly need to buy?

And under the new contract with the tiered system, new hires make about $14 - $15 an hour. Barely enough to Why does anyone need to make $14 - $15 MILLION dollars PER YEAR? Just how much crap can one family possibly need to buy?

I don't have any direct comment to make on this...for now...

but you are hereby invited to post some of these opinions on the baseball thread!!!! :)

And I invite myself to do a better job of proofreading. I am tired of editing my posts for silly little typos!

Edited by Lifted Up

Meanwhile, the CEO's are making millions each year and the executives aren't far behind them. It isn't the unions that did this, it is the management. I think before the lower wage earners are asked to make more concessions, the CEO's and executives need to make a few. Why does anyone need to make $14 - $15 MILLION dollars PER YEAR? Just how much crap can one family possibly need to buy?

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Lifted, what I was trying to say was there is no Corporate loyalty from employers toward employees anymore, everyone is expendable, sometimes they even tell you that. Layoffs, downsizings, firings, and furloughs, are commonplace today compared to my parent's era pre 1970's. Back in their day you worked for the same company most all of your working life, and retired at age 62-65 with a pension or retirement package. Not so commonplace in business today, oftentimes even retirement packages today get meddled with down the line.

Most everyone I know in my age bracket or younger, hasn't kept the same job their whole working life, most have been fired, layed off, downsized, etc., at least once, or multiple times, and unless they have a civil servant or gov't job, they are not relying on a company retirement package.

i am a lucky guy

i retired at age 45

from the big phone co.

they made the package sweet

that was almost 14 years ago

but as i said i was lucky

then i started my second career as a chef

did that for 10 years and now{because i want to} i do nothing except volenter{sp} work

Brings to mind a funny story. When I was car shopping, I went and looked at a Toyota Solara, which had just come out as a 2 door version of the Camry. I test drove one and just loved it. The salesman, whose dealership also sold Chevrolet products, admitted it was a perfect car. THEN he went on a rant about how I should buy an American car instead of a Japanese car, he owned a Camaro and a Chevy S10 pickup truck and how wonderful they were.

I actually took his advice. The Honda Civic I bought was manufactured in West Liberty, Ohio.

WG

I thought I would chime in on this topic since I loved my last two cars. I had a Chrysler Lebaron convertable and I loved it! It was fun to drive and looked great. Don't know the mpg, but I could drive a long time on a tank. Never had problems with it and yes it was regularly maintained by a mechanic. After I totalled it :( I got an Acura, standard and fun to drive. Again, great gas milage and few problems. It floated away in Katrina or I wouldn't have gotten rid of it. Now I have a Vauxhall Vectra, standard, turbo diesel injection, 4 door with a hatchback. It gets 50 mpg which is about 42 mp U.S. gallon. Its a GM make.

gc

We drive Foregign cars or as foreign as any car is now days

WE are a toyota tacoma and a subaru outback

I love them both. they get excellent milage and with maintenance we are repair free so far except for the windshield that got cracked on the truck from a rock on the highway!

One of my all time favorite cars in my past though was totally American it was a chevy Nova Hatch back. it was my first car... Used of course but it got great milage for the time frame of it and it was oh heck it was really fun to drive especially on wet or icy roads as it was very light in the back.

It was well over 200,000 miles when I sold it.. and I still miss it every once in a while.

After working in the auto industry let me just say there are no more viehicles that are fully made in one country or another. They all have parts from all over the world.

ok booboos...skewz me if I am being redundant...but here's the 'tilda take...

Currently have an '04 Honda Civic Hybrid...60g mi...would get another in a heartbeat. It is a good little 5 passenger car that gets about 40 mpg.

I work very close...he used to work far away...it was the right thing to do.

We have outgrown the Dodge Caravan, but we still have it...if our numbers come up, we'd retire it (or give it away) and replace it with another Honda...either a Civic, or Accord, Hybrid.

Even prior to owning a hybrid, we had a regular Honda (Accord)...a very, very good car.

Before they became altogether status etc., I used to have Volvos...(that's volvo)...they are wonderful cars, but pricey...worth it if you can afford the upkeep. The safety factor alone is worth great consideration. My first legal car was a Volvo...I have fond memories.

American cars have made some gains recently in both customer satisfaction and reliability. The problem is that there are recent gains. Honda and Toyota have firmly established themselves in these areas over the course of the last three decades. It will take some time for Detroit to catch up in the public perception of it's products - that is, ofcourse, if it continues to sustain and improve on those recent gains.

Yeah. We had a pair of Ford Tauruses (Tauri?) They were quite reasonable cars except for the 70,000 mile transmission and the peeling paint. The transmission could have been fixed at the design stage for about $5. Instead it cost us $1400 x 2. The paint would have been fine except that Ford experimented with omitting the primer that year. When the paint got so bad that the cops were eyeballing me every time I went by them, it was time for a new car.

Now we own 3 Subarus. They are good, reliable cars. With AWD and decent tires, they will take you anywhere their ground clearance will allow.