GreaseSpot Cafe

Brit Barbecue

Twinky

There seem to be one or two people posting at the Cafe who are in the UK and there are others round about.

Just a thought, with all the gatherings in the US for barbecues and roasts and clam bakes - would be it of any interest to any UK residents to get together to have our own thing here? July, August sort of time? If so, I'd want it to be a positive thing: how we've moved on. The Texas BBQ that I went to was great fun and lots of laughs.

I know a number of ex-Wayfers living in this area, and have encountered via other websites other ex-Wayfers who could be invited; also some from other countries.

Ex10, if you are visiting - of course you can come too!

Is it pork, beef, chicken, lamb, venison?

At the moment it's just an idea, Tom!

There are flights direct into Bristol (nearest airport, 14 miles, decent bus/train transport).

Or visitors can do the gruesome thing, fly into Heathrow or other London airport, battle for hours getting from the airport, and still sit 3 hours on a coach/train.

Well, this could be fun. :) Very good fun.

But we're thinking about next summer some time, and a lot of things could happen between now and then.

If I don't get a job of some sort, any sort, pretty soon, I will be living in a tent in a field somewhere. :( With Tuxedo and Crypto to catch prey to feed us all, perhaps. Maybe the whole world will be living in tents.

Barbecued mouse anyone?

The English have been known to throw something on the pit. I've been to a couple of bar-b-ques and they were a lot of fun. What is served is a little different.

The Bar-b-que Menu:

Store bought frozen burger patties

Sausage, very good

Chicken, was ok

Bread not exactly a bun, but good

Salad, no dressing

Lots of condiments to choose from

A number of deserts

Lots of alcohol

and of course hot tea

I've not found any bar-b-que sauce here and most of the people I've met don't use marinade. At Kentucky's the b-b-q sauce is very strange. To be honest, I'd never eaten at a Kentucky's before, so the b-b-q sauce might be strange in the states too. :unsure: Most people I've talked to think of Mcdonald's when they think of a burger.

I've been to a couple of "casual" garden parties, those were wonderful! The best in English cooking!

gc

now I see, we always called ours sausage; smoked, hot, italian etc. What is the difference between bratwurst and sausage, other than it being German?

gc

edited because...how the heck did I do that? :huh:

Edited by gc

If I don't get a job of some sort, any sort, pretty soon, I will be living in a tent in a field somewhere. :( With Tuxedo and Crypto to catch prey to feed us all, perhaps. Maybe the whole world will be living in tents.

Barbecued mouse anyone?

Twinky, how did you do on your interview?

gc

Interview went okay, very professional interviewers, different style from any other interview I have had. Said they would let me know by end of last week but so far nothing. But then it took them 2 months to invite me to interview. They don't move fast - well, I think the department does, but the organisation as a whole (and perhaps, therefore, Personnel) doesn't.

The risk of barbecued fieldmice is still there, but I will be sure and find some tasty recipes.

I understand one can also eat hedgehogs (roll in clay, roast in the embers), and also squirrels (Ham, better take care if you come!).

Sausages are popular in Europe and take many fillings. Bratwurst is only one type. UK sausages (sausage links) are different again and are not like the "dog roll" type of sausage meat found in the US.

The risk of barbecued fieldmice is still there, but I will be sure and find some tasty recipes.

I understand one can also eat hedgehogs (roll in clay, roast in the embers), and also squirrels (Ham, better take care if you come!).

I'm sure if we marinate that little mouse it'll taste just fine! :unsure:

gc

Don't knock squirrel meat (sorry Ham), when I was a WOW in the woodlands of Wisconsin in '77 we ate alot of squirrel, as well as rabbit, raccoon, bear, grouse and venison. Its all about slow cooking and stewing.

So, will you be coming to the Brit Bar-b-que to cook? :)

gc

:offtopic: Please don't barbeque squirel, they are my friends(at least they don't judge me) :biglaugh:

I'd love to take a trip to the UK, can I come to the reunion too? It would be awesome to meet you all. Several years ago I spent 10 great vacation days in London, but didn't get away from the city. Would love to taste that *burp* delicious British grub again and those *burp* lovely ales.

Someone served me rabbit once at a dinner party, but I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I had a strong desire to pet it, however. NO SQUIRREL!!

Maybe we could take a road trip to Gartmoor and toilet paper the trees?

That whole Chris Geer thing happened long after I left. Several years ago I read PoP and my first thought was, sheeesh, what lunatic wrote this mess?

• 9 months later...

Well...no BBQ this year. Obviously. Maybe next year.

gc, am still hoping to wangle a visit down your way sometime soon. I'll PM you if it seems viable.