GreaseSpot Cafe

I know there is a Hell!

cheranne

I did work in retail for years.

my first experience in Holiday retail was at a large TOY store,there is nothing like the

spirit of christmas time where angry people fight over and stand in line over the hottest toys!

At closing time we would blink the lights to warn of closing and still you would find people in the dark

deciding what to get at the last moment.

You just wanna scream get OUT!

The Holidays are LONG starting in august in retail,by the time Christmas and working overnights is

over you are pretty much sick of the whole christmas season,so this year I will enjoy it!!!!

What about you?

I work in retail grocery, not as bad as the toy stores & department stores, but still very much holiday driven. People who are in the store 52 weeks a year, twice or 3 times every week suddenly don't know where anything is :asdf:

We close one day each year: from 6PM December 24th through 6AM December 26th. I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt standing at the door at 6:01 and telling people that we're closed. :biglaugh:

I work in retail grocery, not as bad as the toy stores & department stores, but still very much holiday driven. People who are in the store 52 weeks a year, twice or 3 times every week suddenly don't know where anything is :asdf:

yea, I've never seen the Black Friday madness at the grocery...it is spread out.

I guess you would get that for the big snow storms on MILK and Bread!

and don't forget the beer and cigarettes!

-----

I worked retail for over 10 years and did my Black-Friday duty thankyouverymuch. I don't envy you one bit!

BTW - what's the "hot" toy this year??

I now do my Christmas shopping in my PJ's, in front of my iMac with a cup of coffee or glass of wine in hand. Then I go to work the same way by opening another window.... works for me!

and don't forget the beer and cigarettes!

-----

I worked retail for over 10 years and did my Black-Friday duty thankyouverymuch. I don't envy you one bit!

BTW - what's the "hot" toy this year??

I now do my Christmas shopping in my PJ's, in front of my iMac with a cup of coffee or glass of wine in hand. Then I go to work the same way by opening another window.... works for me!

Oh yes the cigerettes and beer! We get that from the ABC store(not sold in grocerys here)and diapers!!!

Don't forget the diapers and wipes(yikes!)

I don't work in retail anymore so I don't know what the HOT toy if this year,after the toy stor I went to a

Large Bookstore.

But it was fun I told kids if they didn't pick up there toys at home they would have to work at a Toy store

"the rest of your life" :biglaugh:

Then at the bookstore I would tell coworkers if they wanted a bible I couldn't go get one cause it would

"burn my hands" :evildenk::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Lots of bible sell during Christmas time!

Ha. I did like my job it was kinda fun but I don't work now since I watch my grandson.

Last year I worked at a large warehouse store on Black Friday!

Never again!

People push, shove, curse, let their kids run wild (WHY do they let them wear those wheelie shoes in such a dangerous environment), grab samples, get mad, get greedy, get frustrated and guess whose fault it all is? Why the little old lady handing out samples of hot wings, that's who! Why can't you get those frozen wings to cook faster? Where are the toys? Why don't they carry my favorite _________________ any more? Why did you make my kid wait for a hot wing? They're only 450 degrees Fahrenheit when they come out of the oven?

Makes me want to be hermit every time, but no more!

My coworkers have endured people sticking their fingers in a tub of dip, upsetting their trays, and cursing at them. One of them cracked and came close to smacking someone and/or their kid once, but got back in the good graces of management.

Sometimes I feel lonely doing transcription behind my little keyboard here at home with just a dog, but it sure beats retail on Black Friday.

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

from what i heard, he was just opening the door. i'm speechless and sickened

NEW YORK (AP) -- UPDATE FROM VALLEY STREAM POLICE:

The victim is identified as Jdimytai Damour of Jamaica, Queens, according to the 5th Squad police. He was pronounced at Franklin Hospital Medical Center.

According to detectives, Damour suffered from an undetermined death when a stampede of shoppers, physically broke down the doors of the Walmart located at 77 Green Acres Road, in Valley Stream, Long Island.

Damour was knocked to the ground.

The exact cause of death will be determined by the Medical Examiner’s office.

A 28 year-old pregnant female was also transported to an area hospital for observation. Additionally three other shoppers suffered minor injuries and were transported to area hospitals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A temporary Wal-Mart worker died after a throng of unruly shoppers broke down the doors and trampled him moments after the Long Island store opened early Friday for day-after-Thanksgiving bargain hunting, police said.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a ``tragic situation'' and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store.

"The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority,'' said Wal-Mart representative Dan Fogleman. ``Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families at this difficult time. At this point, facts are still being assembled and we are working closely with the Nassau County police as they investigate what occurred.''

The 34-year-old employee was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m., Nassau County police said. The exact cause of death had not been determined, and the man's name was not released.

A 28-year-old woman who was eight months pregnant was taken to a hospital for observation, where she and the baby were both reported to be OK, said Sgt. Anthony Repalone, a Nassau County police spokesman. He said four or five other people suffered minor injuries.

Police said the crowd of shoppers knocked the man to the ground at 5:03 a.m., three minutes after the store opened at the suburban location about 20 miles east of Manhattan. It wasn't immediately clear how many people pushed their way in. A metal portion of the door was crumpled like an accordion.

The industry's largest retail group said the incident was rare.

``We are not aware of any other circumstances where a retail employee has died working on the day after Thanksgiving,'' said Ellen Davis, a spokeswoman at National Retail Federation.

Shoppers around the country line up early outside stores on the day after Thanksgiving in the annual bargain-hunting ritual known as Black Friday. It got that name because it has historically been the day when stores broke into profitability for the full year.

Many stores open early and stay open late. The Valley Stream Wal-Mart usually opens at 9 a.m.

Items on sale at the Wal-Mart store included a $798 Samsung 50-inch Plasma HDTV, a Bissel Compact Upright Vaccum for $28, a Samsung 10.2 megapixel digital camera for $69 and DVDs such as ``The Incredible Hulk'' for $9.

Nassau County police were at the scene investigating.

Seen those bumper stickers that say, "Speed kills"?

This is, "Greed kills."

Wild animals. Shame on anyone participating in the mad rush - there or elsewhere.

I doubt any of the tramplers thought they were actually killing anyone. These were Walmart shoppers so I also doubt that they were the type to say, put a gun to a clerk's head to get what they wanted. It was an ugly scene all the same which resulted in an unintended death.

Mobs do things as a group that individually would not happen. I hope this will help change the way some stores do the black Friday thing. Its almost asking for a trampling when you have super low prices for a limited time for come first served.... and then open the flood gates.

sudo

I doubt any of the tramplers thought they were actually killing anyone. These were Walmart shoppers so I also doubt that they were the type to say, put a gun to a clerk's head to get what they wanted. It was an ugly scene all the same which resulted in an unintended death.

Mobs do things as a group that individually would not happen. I hope this will help change the way some stores do the black Friday thing. Its almost asking for a trampling when you have super low prices for a limited time for come first served.... and then open the flood gates.

sudo

One can only hope so....

A metal portion of the door was crumpled like an accordion.

I doubt that when they call them "door busters" they really thought that people were that stupid.

I usually immediately think everyone who stepped on the person who died, should be proscecuted, but then realize, in a mob, you can't stop when they're pushing you forward because if you do you get the same fate.

Mobs are the reason why the US government has so much power today, one of them. Before the war between the states, there were so many mob lynchings that it was necessary to have a standing army from somewhere to put them down.

Still, I'm sure that doesn't make the young guy's family feel any better. I hope they all have enough funds and resources to go to counseling because his death, I'm sure, is going to be hard for them to take.

Merry Christmas A *oles (to those in the mob who were doing the pushing).

i hope the poor fellow's family sues the azz off walmart -- not like it will matter -- but that's the only place it might hurt just a wee bit

i couldn't believe they didn't close the doors

once a week i have gone to walmart to get a few household items that are so much cheaper there. but i don't feel like going there anymore

I usually immediately think everyone who stepped on the person who died, should be proscecuted, but then realize, in a mob, you can't stop when they're pushing you forward because if you do you get the same fate.

I remember being in line to see "Star Wars" when it opened. (I was somewhere near the front.) The doors opened, and in came the rush. A woman in front of me got angry that I was pushing her. I pointed out that my feet weren't even touching the ground! No one was hurt, that time.

But back to the Wal-Mart story:

"Guess what? While I was buying something to celebrate the birth of our Savior, I trampled someone to death." :blink:

George