GreaseSpot Cafe

Blagojevich Busted !

TOMMYZ

This may end up in politics but I'll start it here.

As an Illinois taxpayer I'm glad to see him getting his due. The guy's done a lot of damage to the state and it would be nice if he had the decency to resign but I'm not holding my breath.

Indeed, this IS a political issue.

As an American taxpayer, I'm VERY glad he got nailed for his very corrupt conduct.

It doesn't matter which party, abuse of power is a problem of character.

It's good to see that with all the technology in use in our society, some of it is being put to good use to hold politicians accountable for their actions.

He DID know, and did it anyway. He had already been informed of being under investigation for other criminal activity. Good gawd, I heartily agree it is good to have this brought out, and I agree with the Dems wanting to have an election ASAP to avoid any possibility of this criminal appointing someone in the interim.

I think any potential candidate who was considering going along with the scheme should also be prosecuted for whatever charges can be brought against them. If they can't be charged, then the IL voters should take care of business in an election. Rumor is that Jesse Jackson Jr. was considering going along with it, as well as possibly some others.

~HAP

He DID know, and did it anyway. He had already been informed of being under investigation for other criminal activity. Good gawd, I heartily agree it is good to have this brought out, and I agree with the Dems wanting to have an election ASAP to avoid any possibility of this criminal appointing someone in the interim.

I think any potential candidate who was considering going along with the scheme should also be prosecuted for whatever charges can be brought against them. If they can't be charged, then the IL voters should take care of business in an election. Rumor is that Jesse Jackson Jr. was considering going along with it, as well as possibly some others.

~HAP

ONLY rumor at this time. Unless something concrete comes out on anyone having been caught (and targeted by prosecutors), we should probably not jump to conclusions.

It's possible anyone that Blogo thought was willing to pay up may have been working with prosecutors...

ONLY rumor at this time. Unless something concrete comes out on anyone having been caught (and targeted by prosecutors), we should probably not jump to conclusions.

It's possible anyone that Blogo thought was willing to pay up may have been working with prosecutors...

valid point, and that WOULD be nice if it comes out that way too.

well shoot, Sarah Palin tried to sell a plane on Ebay, Gov. Blag was trying to outdo her and sell a senate seat.

If it wasn't so tragic, it WOULD be funny.

More tragic is the likelihood that this kind of thing has probably happened before without the American people having found out... even though there have been politicians convicted on corruption related crimes before.

Of course, there's ABSCAM... which many here might remember. In Arizona, in the early 1990s, a similar sting targeted the state legislature with several members being sent to prison.

I would hope that similar law enforcement operations take place in many more states...

Im guessing that it would take longer than January 20th to impeach him or remove him from office. If he does not resign, does he still, inspite of these events, have the power to appoint the new senator?

:asdf:

Hopefully there is some mechanism in Illinois politics to get around this...Anyone know how this works?

Also if there could be one bright spot in this to me its the emergence of Patrick Fitzgerald who uncovered this. The NYTimes calls him a modern day Elliot Ness.

Patrick J. Fitzgerald is the United States attorney for the Northern District of Illinois. Prior to that appointment in 2001, he spent years prosecuting mobsters and terrorists in New York, where he earned a public reputation for meticulous preparation, a flawless memory and an easy eloquence. He was raised in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn.

While he drew national headlines as the special prosecutor in the leak trial against I. Lewis Libby Jr., Mr. Fitzgerald is equally noted in Chicago for a dizzying list of prosecutions of the city’s powerful, people many there said would surely never be taken to court at all: a former Republican governor, aides to the Democratic mayor, a media mogul, the city’s reputed mobsters, and on and on.

Will he be investigating the Bush Administration next?

Edited by mstar1

Im guessing that it would take longer than January 20th to impeach him or remove him from office. If he does not resign, does he still, inspite of these events, have the power to appoint the new senator?

:asdf:

yes.

Hopefully there is some mechanism in Illinois politics to get around this...Anyone know how this works?

I've heard news reports that the Illinois atty gen can (and probably will) ask the state supreme court to (at least temporarily) declare Blago unfit to serve. If they do so, whoever becomes acting governor has the authority to make the appointment.

Also if there could be one bright spot in this to me its the emergence of Patrick Fitzgerald who uncovered this. The NYTimes calls him a modern day Elliot Ness.

Will he be investigating the Bush Administration next?

Only if the new US Attorney General directs him to do so... which is unlikely.

Mstar, I think there is enough corruption in Chicago to keep Fitzgerald busy the rest of his life ! I don't know how the Illinois House Speaker from Chicago Mike Madigan has kept out of trouble and let's not get started on Mayor Daley !

I'm hoping one of our Chicago Greasespots can put in their two cents.

Here's one Chicagoan's point of view. We'll see if this pans out.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/sit...5111.guest.html

Mstar, I think there is enough corruption in Chicago to keep Fitzgerald busy the rest of his life ! I don't know how the Illinois House Speaker from Chicago Mike Madigan has kept out of trouble and let's not get started on Mayor Daley !

I'm hoping one of our Chicago Greasespots can put in their two cents.

Here's one Chicagoan's point of view. We'll see if this pans out.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/sit...5111.guest.html

I thought Lush lived in Florida.

What I don't quite understand is why some parts of the media keep trying to tie Blagojevich to Obama in some way. The two never liked each other, and Obama undermined him on numerous occasions before the corruption scandal even took place.

An interesting article on the bad blood between the two can be found at The Washington Post:

Here are some quotes from the article:

They sometimes used each other to propel their own careers but privately acted like rivals. Blagojevich considered Obama naive and pretentious and dismissed his success as "good luck." Obama disparaged Blagojevich for what he viewed as his combativeness, his disorganization and his habit of arriving at official events half an hour late.

"Obama saw this coming, and he was very cautious about not having dealings with the governor for quite some time," said Abner Mikva, a former congressman and appeals court judge who was Obama's political mentor in Chicago. "The governor was perhaps the only American public officeholder who didn't speak at the convention, and that wasn't by accident. He's politically poisonous. You don't get through Chicago like Barack Obama did unless you know how to avoid people like that."

"They're (the Obama team) not willing to give me anything but appreciation," the governor told his chief of staff, John Harris. ".... them."

I thought it was an interesting read.

Illinois AG asks state Supreme Court to declare Blago unfit to serve

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — In an unprecedented move, the Illinois attorney general asked the state's highest court Friday to strip scandal-plagued Gov. Rod Blagojevich of his powers.

Lisa Madigan took the action as pressure on the governor intensified to step down and lawmakers considered impeachment. And the fallout over the scandal continued Friday as the governor's chief of staff resigned; John Harris was arrested along with the governor on Tuesday.

Madigan said that she took the action with the Supreme Court because she thinks that this is a faster way to strip Blagojevich of his power than through impeachment, which could take several weeks.

"I recognize that this is an extraordinary request, but these are extraordinary circumstances," Madigan said at a news conference.

It was not immediately clear when the Supreme Court might take up the matter. The justices also have the discretion to deny the attorney general's request.

The move came as the governor prayed with several ministers in his home before heading to his office, telling them he is innocent and will be vindicated "when you hear each chapter completely written," according to one of the pastors. (continued)

I don't know whether to ask this here or in the sports forum...didn't I hear that the Cubs and Wrigley field were somehow tied up in this?

Did you figure out where to ask? :evildenk:

I can't speak to what you have heard or not, but the answer to whether the Cubs and Wrigley are involved is yes. However, neither the Cubs nor Wrigley Field are expected to testify and are not currently a target of the investigation.

...all seriousness aside, yes, one of the things apparently that Blago talked about on the recorded phone calls is leveraging state aid to the Chicago Tribune regarding its efforts to sell its interests in the team and the stadium with a view toward get some editorial writers fired.

Edited by Rocky

A quick response to two comments;

Rush is in Florida but the guy he was talking to in the link was from Chicago and obviously knows how things work in the city. I got an "oh yeah, that's how it is" from a co-worker from Chicago when I repeated that "cut me in or cut it out". That's why I wish we could get some Chicago Greasespots to add their point of view.

Also, Daley has not been implicated but the go-between who works for Blago has been. We'll see if he starts talking.

I'm also amused that Rezko's sentencing has been pushed back. I bet he's trading information for a better deal.

It's going to be interesting to see how this unfolds. I lived in Cook County for ten years and I'm glad I went over the border into Kane County.