pawtucket

Has Greasespot jumped the Shark  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Has Greasespot jumped the Shark

• Yes it has, close it down
    • Close but not yet
    • It is still viable
    • Don't know, don't care

And should this be at the expense of Paw? He's paid dearly for this forum. It's not his responsibility to offer this place for people to get help - I'm in shock that someone would tell him to "please find a happy medium" - WTF? Gee... next time you're ready to leave a job or make a major life change, why don't you remind yourself of that... it's oh-so-comforting... :asdf:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would Paw put this to a poll if his decision were already made to close up shop? He could have just said, "It's been real. See ya." and be done with it. So, perhaps asking if there is some intermediate position between Paw ending GSC and Paw taking daily abuse isn't that unreasonable? By the way, Paw, feel free to jump in if I'm way off base.)

And...I use my real name.

And....I've never had a post deleted by a moderator. (Maybe I'm a wimp.)

George

Edited by ModDog
accuracy

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought from a (mostly) lurker:

I would hate to see this forum go away. I hope that Pawtucket can find some to help share the burden.

GSC is a lively, complex, wonderful forum. I learn so much just lurking.

I'd be willing to help keep the forum going, if there is some way I can help.

J.

John I for one really love flattery. About waist deep should be good, don't go overboard. Thanks man.

Well, I for one see some very good dialogue going on here, and I think that the discussed delineation between those who come here for "social gathering" with old ex Way-Pals as opposed to those who come here with needs for enlightenment concerning their times in TWI is a very good course to chart indeed. My two cents as a fng. Hope that made sense.

Thanks Abi – you are 100% correct in your statement. You always seem to have your head and heart in the right place and I admire you for that.

Thank you Shell for #3 on your post. I would rather speak for myself and am a bit disturbed that pieces of my conversation in the chat room were misrepresented on this thread.

And Hap – thank you, too – you tend to see things quite objectively and I appreciate that.

I will post my comments this one time because of the words that have been put in my mouth (fingers?).

I did not suggest that GSC start using real names. I said that the Corps site used real names because it is a social network and when you socialize with someone, it helps to know who they are. It is also a place to reconnect – which goes with the above statement. And it probably does keep the mean people away. No one wants to socialize with mean people anyway!

When I first came on Trancechat and Waydale I was still involved in TWI and used a pseudonym (Amie Friend). I needed to at the time for many reasons I won’t go into here.

The night we got the boot – I went into the chat room and proudly announced my real name and started using it on Waydale. It was a huge deal for me – almost cathartic. It may not be that way for anyone else and I appreciate the need for anonymity on a site like this. But I do think that when people use their real names, they may choose their words more carefully. John was called some horrible things by people who do not know him or me by anonymous posters. I always wonder whether those folks would say the same things to his face. I doubt it.

Regarding the relevance of today’s TWI… Please see Socks post #143 that was made on December 29. He says what I meant much better than I can say it.

But --- I remember when I first saw “No Way Out” in 1997 – which I believe was around about the same time as Trancechat. There was an article in it about the “gun training” class the Corps had taken in Emporia in the mid 1970’s. In 1997 it was really old news – ancient history in Way years. I don’t even think there were any Corps in residence in Emporia at the time it was posted.

In other words, the article was irrelevant to the TWI of 1997. I thought the site was out of touch and really didn’t apply to what I was looking for at the time – current TWI events! (btw… The class wasn’t militia-like gun training – it was the Kansas Safe Hunters class that the 4-H Club and Boy Scouts took. I still have the badge!)

Again - see socks post… which is also the reason I suggested a GSC social site.

As far as what I said about professional help – I believe it was taken totally wrong. My comment was that GS may have become a band-aid for some people who might need more help than a web-site can give them. I commented that folks who had been hurting for years and years might seek other forms of help if GS became a read-only site. I did not suggest that everyone who posts here needs therapy or medication! I will confess that both Waydale and GS were wonderful places to vent all my anger and frustration about my 29 years of service in TWI. Especially right after I got out. But there came a time when I knew I needed more and I got help. Period.

As far as editing goes –

I write my posts on a Word document before I put them on the forums. It’s still faster than editing on the web site over and over until I get it right (even then, sometimes I don't).

When John was lambasted on the Corps site thread, the awful names he was called were deleted, yet the answers he gave to those folks were kept on the site. He looked like a mean s.o.b. – getting angry over nothing and making crazy accusations. If those comments had been left alone the context would have been better understood and he wouldn’t have looked like he was getting po’d over nothing.

And Paw, I disagree, the Corps site is not heavily regulated. The only requirements that exist are that you use your real name and that you (or your parents) were in the Corps program for at least one year. Yes, the main forums are informational only (“how to” stuff, a memorial thread, “does anyone know where_______is?”, etc.).

But each person has their own page – which is more or less like having your own web site - and they can blog about whatever they want to. All we ask is that no one attack someone personally or make incendiary comments, much like the GSC forums state.

Anyone who wants to discuss my opinions can do so by emailing me at hoperich6@gmail.com or you can find me on Facebook (I just joined!).

This is probably my last post, and I won’t even think about coming into the chat room again.

Adios.

Pond, nothing personal but if you believe real names would help, why not follow your own advice? btw, My user name is my real name(Thomas Loy Bumgarner). Hope, sorry you and John got poor treatment here. Proably the reason G*l*n left here. Had no quarrels with either of them, but they were polite in their posts.

So the WC site's not heavily regulated? What's "heavily regulated" mean then, if you can't say anything that might be provocative? How 1984 can you get?

Compared with Richeson's homage site to Victor and Way Corps coven, Greasespot is pretty much laissez-faire and perfect.

Ye who were without Hope, she went that-away (adios back-atcha sweetheart, and give Vic's portrait a big kiss for us). Know ye that The Way Corps delusion lives on at a website near you (but you can't join it! - and don't wonder why, peons, they know what they are about, and they don't want to hear about it from you).

So the WC site's not heavily regulated? What's "heavily regulated" mean then, if you can't say anything that might be provocative? How 1984 can you get?

Compared with Richeson's homage site to Victor and Way Corps coven, Greasespot is pretty much laissez-faire and perfect.

Ye who were without Hope, she went that-away (adios back-atcha sweetheart, and give Vic's portrait a big kiss for us). Know ye that The Way Corps delusion lives on at a website near you (but you can't join it! - and don't wonder why, peons, they know what they are about, and they don't want to hear about it from you).

:rolleyes:

Don't like how we do it?

Start one yourself and show us how it SHOULD be done.

btw, s...001 we understand that you were in the WC... you ARE welcome to join (so you can bad mouth us/it for what it really is, not just for what you imagine it to be)... but you WILL have to use your real name. :)

The WC site -

Discussion there is ongoing on a variety of topics. I can't say for sure but I suppose it will evolve over time, who knows?

The purpose of the site, as has been stated over and over is to provide an online mechanism for people that were in the Way Corps to reconnect with others they knew. Some discussions and topics are starting up all the time as a result, and the content and life cycles are being developed and established as they go on.

One of the the results of John's moderation appears to be that, as Hope says, "mean" people don't have a platform to rip on anyone and everyone they might choose to. In that respect it's a "protective" environment - people's dignity and feelings are protected from someone trolling on board and taking nasties at everyone and anyone, Way Corps or others.

That means that, despite what the perception might be outside the board, no one, none of you, me, or anyone else is going to be spoken of in a disrespectful way and have it last long. Doing that would be counter productive to the ... purpose of the board, which is to provide a "safe" place for people to connect. I like that approach, for what it's worth, I think it's the right thing to do, all things considered.

This is in much the same way Pawtucket and the board moderators here have sought to protect this online environment from what could be hurtful disrespectful conduct. That moderation might be taken as unnecessary by some, restrictive by others. I agree it's conservative and cautious at times but I think it adds more than it risks. But clearly, in my mind, neither this board nor John's is a free for all say-whatever-you-want-others-feelings-be-dammed posting environment. Effort is made to allow for a natural, meaningful and respectful exchange to occur. Discussion, debate, exchange of differing ideas and information flows from that platform.

At least that appears to be the goal of GS. I understand that a case can be made for a freer environment or one that allows for a different approach. The internet is a huge resource - anyone who wants to can take the dive and work up any alternatives they choose to. There's nothing wrong with doing that.

If it sounds like I'm defending "John's Board", I am. I'd defend GS too for those who need it. Speaking of which....

Peace! Sleepy time!

Happy New Year to all of you Greasespotters!!!!!!!!!

My little boy has not arrived for me to take care of him, so I have a few minutes to post!!!!!

GS Cafe is still viable, IMHO. I still read it almost every day, but rarely post. I read the prayer forum and pray for those in need. I also read the other forums.

Paw, you have been great and I appreciate your time and expense in keeping this place running. However, if you need to move on, you and GS Cafe will be SORELY missed by many.

Be safe today and everyday.

God bless all of you.

I guess I would have to say I would miss y'all if GSC closed down. I've really learned a lot, and hopefully contributed a little, once in a while, anyway. I'm very grateful for those prayers down there in the Prayer Room that were uttered for me and mine!

I think a lot of the feelings about the WC site is that so many of us were impressed early on with the superiority of WC grads, by at least a few who thought they actually did have "in-depth spiritual awareness and perception." To my young-in-the-ministry eye, they were very a superior and exclusive bunch, "in the know" as many of us underlings would never be. The Richeson Way Corps Only website did indeed bring back those feelings to me, but then I decided to heck with it all. I am as good in the eyes of God as anyone who graduated from any Way Corps, anywhere, anytime.

Many WC grads, however, did not feel that way at all, bless them!

I did regret not being able to attempt to connect with some individuals who were WC that I knew and cared about, but then maybe they would rather post on an exclusive site than receive greetings from a humble peon like myself.

I did certainly appreciate Rocky posting that slide show!

At any rate, if Pawtucket decides to close GSC, I expect it will evolve, reinvent itself, or something of that nature. And I think every single one of us owes Paw a debt of gratitude for making GSC available to us.

Thank you, Pawtucket. You will never know how many lives you've impacted by doing this, how many people you've helped. God bless you.

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

Comparing John's site to GSpot is not only comparing apples to oranges - it's totally irrelevant to Paw's question - as are the complaints about editing, moderation, etc. Haven't those horses already been beaten into fine powder?

Paw, I hope you know how much I love you and appreciate what you have provided here. I certainly would not be where I am today if it were not for the GSpot community, your strong coffee and allowing me to stick my gum under the counter. BUT, none of us is worth you giving up your personal life, the people and dreams most important to YOU.

If you decide to keep the doors open, I do wish you would consider raising the prices here. $5-10/month for the ability to post is not unreasonable. I know that throws a monkey wrench at anyone who is still in and wants to post, but there could be a place for them to contact one of your assistants to work something out. There are ways of doing this and still allowing folks to maintain their anonymity.

Edited by Belle

I love this place. I know it's given people the opportunity to stay connected who might otherwise have been really "out there". You have given even the complainers a voice and place to vent -- which we never had in the cult mind-set of twi.

Thank so much.

A few of my ideas that might help reduce your investment of heart and finances.

:) Figure out the cost to run the place and divide it by an average number of regulars and charge a membership -- others websters.com, internet greeting card companies, graphics, etc. do this, and Greasespot Cafe provides all these services.

:) Pay yourself and the other technical moderators who keep this place so alive.

:) Moderators who want separate moderator name should be allowed, as all names, that's personal preference.

I've had knee replacement surgery (Christmas eve) and other personal heartaches so I haven't been here too much, but I know that Greasespot Cafe has been a place of learning, personal growth, and healing.

I have learned here, by the kind teaching of yourself and your friends, so much of computer use --graphics posting, you tube posting -- general growing a computer/internet comfortzone.

At the Greasespot Cafe I first learned to listen to Holy Spirit in someone's post, and I think He has given us the Internet so that we can keep in touch with each other no matter what our physical circumstances are, and that keeping in touch is vital to our social health.

How many wonderful relationships has Greasespot enabled that wouldn't have been possible otherwise!

Thanks, again, Pawtucket. And my thanks also to your "significant other." Great women it seems have often sacrificed and are given the restoration tasks of binding up the wounds inflicted by the world on their beloved.

I don't think Billy Graham could have accomplished what he has been able to do (and still continues to do) without the 60+ years of devoted sacrifice of Ruth. I think it takes both of the couple to pull of really great things for the Lord.

Thanks, again and again,

Kit

p.s. all my graphics were deleted by the aol change to delete subscriber ftp space. I didn't delete them voluntarily.

One of the the results of John's moderation appears to be that, as Hope says, "mean" people don't have a platform to rip on anyone and everyone they might choose to.

"Mean" people?...Is that the same as saying people who disagree?

Twi (the way corps to a LARGE degree), lied in God's name and hurt a lot of people...and now they want to get together to "reconnect"...kinda like a mutual admiration society for those who "meant well"...sorry, no dice. Twi was an insideous cult and romanticising about it on Richeson's website only opens up old sores...guilt by association! This website is elitist, controlled and counterproductive to reality. It's a sham.

...may their green name tags come to life and bite them.

:offtopic:

I just wanted to suggest, IMO, it is somewhat inappropriate to bring someone into this thread who is not posting here. Whatever Hope may have said in chat, she said to the people in chat. If she had wanted to say it in this thread, she could have come here and done so.

Equally important, whatever is said here is second hand information regarding what Hope said and may be somewhat inaccurate via misunderstanding and one's own personal perceptions.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled program. :)

Really?...and should we also not mention Victor Paul Wierwille on these threads because he is not posting here?

...or John Lynn?...seems to me that the Richesons have started their own splinter group and are fair game.

...Where's my tweezers?

Oh give me a friggen break, Groucho! Starting your own website, with a specific purpose that is different from that of the cafe is NOT starting some freaking splinter group.

And I am NOT a member of their website, because I am not corps. Is this the greasespot cult then, if their website is a splinter group? :blink:

Really?...and should we also not mention Victor Paul Wierwille on these threads because he is not posting here?

...or John Lynn?...seems to me that the Richesons have started their own splinter group and are fair game.

...Where's my tweezers?

So are you saying Pawtucket should issue a letter to all GSC followers to ask which leader they are going to follow?

I should think not.

Groucho,

There is a difference (Yes Virginia, really there is) between a group that is closed to/for certain people, and an abusive group (often referred to as a 'cult') that controls and demeans people. Examples of such 'closed' groups:

1) private clubs

2) high school/family reunions

3) commercial establishments where you have to pay $$$ to get in

and so on. That's not to say that there cannot be abuses in said groups, but that they're private does not make them so in and of itself.

Also, knowing (allow me to put that in emphasis, ... knowing) John and Hope as I do (as well as many others here), your rather weak and lame attempt to put them in the same category as 'abusive cults' is just that, ...

... weak and lame.

Chill bro, ok?

Oh, and Happy New Year! :dance:

one thing that cracked me up (that means made me laugh) on the way corps site

i responded to a gal who undershepherded me

she asked how i was doing and i wrote that i was still working through being molested by the big mog VP

she deleted my response

but at least she wasn't a moderator lol :)