2t salt

1 cup apple or pineapple juice

1 1/2 c whole candies cherries

1 c thinly sliced citron

1 c chopped candied Pineapple

1 cup seedless raisins

1 cup chopped figs

3 cups chopped nuts

(if you do not like citrons and candied fruit you can use instead 4 1/2 c of chopped dried fruit and 1 c of raisins... I prefer this one as I am not a big fan of the candied fruits)

Preheat oven to 275 mix oil sugar and eggs together Beating for 2 minutes. Mix dry ingredients together thoroughly. mix 1 cup of the flour mixture with the dried fruits and nuts, mix the rest of the flour with the egg oil and fruit juice

Then combine this with the dried fruit and nut mixture.

Line 2 greased Loaf Pans 8.5x4.5x2.5 with brown paper or parchment.

pour batter into the pans

put a pan of water on the lower oven rack and bake for the cakes fro 2.5 -3 hours after baking allow the cakes to cool for 15 minutes then remove from the pans. Do not remove paper until the cakes are thoroughly cooled.

Store by wrapping tightly in aluminum fool and storing in a jar in a cool dark place.

For the Booze part I think you add it to the cake in the jar but We never did the booze with it

Edited by waysider

People pour the booze on it right after it comes out of the oven, the paper surrounding the cake helps to hold the extra booze on top which allows the alcohol to seep in slowly.

Many people get their fruitcakes months ahead of time so they can slowly feed it liquor before christmas, some even submerge their cake in booze when it comes out of the oven before it gets stored in a tin.

Many people keep their fruitcake for years, often feeding it with bourbon or other liquors every few months.

Fred really likes fruitcake. I am going to try your recipe LeafyTwiglet. Thanks.

note on fruitcake alcohol: my mom used brandy and dampened a cotten cloth (old sheet torn for the purpose) and wrapped fruitcake in it. The alcohol would evaporate, but aroma and taste remained.