GreaseSpot Cafe

VPW's patently false one-liners

Jim

"Kids, it's the Word and nothing but the Word."

He was half-right. It was the Word. Quite a bit of it, in fact. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. But to say there was nothing but the Word? Umm, no. There were other things that mattered immensely to him. There was money. There was power. There was unbridled sex. There was blackmail. There was coercion.

Did I mention money?

"I have no friends when it comes to the word!"

This bromide made a virtue out of being a brittle, reactionary geek with no relationhip skills, compassion or cultural maneuverability. It was a battle cry meant to snuff out dialogue, tension, paradox and mystery - all scary things to a hyper-Teutonic mindset.

Gosh, there were so many. Good ones waysider and opera.

You don't need to own property. You just need the use of it. You couldn't get anymore use out of it if you owned it, could you?

Paraphrasing Howard Allen, but with vp's approval.

Yeah, this one always got my goat...I guess it was good for them that a few of us actually had personal possessions for them to use. I work hard for what I have and am not selfish with things I own, however the choice is up to me if I choose to share it with someone. The higher ups would walk in and act as if all we owned was theirs...frankly it pi$$ed me off and I felt disrespected by these leeches. This was high on the list of reasons I disassociated myself from the morally bankrupt organization. It was more like what is yours is mine, however what was theirs was not ours. Ordinary Joe believer was abused by leadership in this way for the most part.

It must be tough on many of these former parasites that now have to climb on the treadmill of life like the rest of us. BTW, I was never impressed by Mr. Allen...when he was up in front of us spewing his so called "homespun wisdom", what came to mind was "What am I doing listening to this idiot?"...and that leads me to this hypocritical quote from the cornfield preacher...

The greatest leader is the greatest servent...in practice we were expected us to serve them.

"You can't go beyond what you're taught"

My personal favorite. My dog goes way beyond what he's taught.

"We don't use people. We love people and use things"

No comment necessary for this crowd.

Please add more...

I believe your statements are inaccurate from the get go:

#1--

From the PFAL syllabus:

"no one rises beyond what he believes and no one believes beyond what he is taught."

#2--

"People are to be loved, things are to be used."

#1--

From the PFAL syllabus:

"no one rises beyond what he believes and no one believes beyond what he is taught."

#2--

wow, it didn't take long for the straw man to appear.

those two bits of wisdom were repeated ad nauseum by vpw, in as many different grammatical constructs as you can imagine. just because the pfal syllabus has them down one way (the post-class clean-up version) doesn't meant that's the way he always said it.

#1--

From the PFAL syllabus:

Blast that old context boogaboo!

You are using a statement from the session dealing with the bogus "law" of believing. (page 3)

Close----but no cigar.

Like Mike say, "You gotta master that rascal!"(Paraphrased, of course.)

#1--

From the PFAL syllabus:

#2--

Well, you're incorrect, in that you're judging his statements based on a single source-

the pfal syllabus-

and pretending that was the SOLE source of comments from vpw.

As has been pointed out before (by HCW), some books were transcripts of vpw speaking,

that were then EDITED by people better at writing than vpw.

Don has made this same point the other day.

vpw said them lots of times, lots of ways. We all heard them.

Pretending you somehow missed them is silly.

"When you know that you know that you know" :blink:

Does saying it three times like that mean I am right even when I am perhaps Wrong?

Well, OJ pleaded 100% absolutely not guilty, so....

Well, you're incorrect, in that you're judging his statements based on a single source-

the pfal syllabus-

and pretending that was the SOLE source of comments from vpw.

As has been pointed out before (by HCW), some books were transcripts of vpw speaking,

that were then EDITED by people better at writing than vpw.

Don has made this same point the other day.

vpw said them lots of times, lots of ways. We all heard them.

Pretending you somehow missed them is silly.

No, I stand by my statements. I think this is yet another case of what Mike mentioned previously numerous times, about TVT's (twi's verbal traditions) and how they repeated themselves yet varied from actual written statements from VP. That is why I believe written documentation, when available, trumps the so-called verbal "recollections" because those recollections might be based on inaccurate and mistaken perceptions of former written statements previously written in certain contexts.

Bear in mind, the thread title is "VPW's patently false one-liners" so I just quoted written documentation of one statement, and btw that statement came from a certain context. One might as well at least get it accurate in its context before one condemns it.

Oh and BTW, I think the two statements are not patently false.

Edited by oldiesman

oldies,i think you are an honest and sincere man but i also think you can be way off the wall at times

i heard the ole corn field vic say many of these things many of times.

let them who have ears listen.

is that a bible quote?

if not it should be

TVT's!!!!

hahahahahaha

More like BVD's.

Thousands and thousands of people heard wierwille himself say this very thing in multiple formats, in a variety of paramutations. Does the thread have a "written only" disclaimer?

Even if he hadn't, the line you quoted in it's place is blatently false as well.

"If a man wants to be ignorant, let him be ignorant."

hahahahaha

Only if you are wearing ruby slippers and click your heels together three times while repeating "I know that I know that I know."

"When you know that you know that you know" :blink:

Does saying it three times like that mean I am right even when I am perhaps Wrong?

And on the same note...

"Everybody's welcome at The Way"

Now it might have been Howard's trademark, but close enough for everyone but Oldiesman

There you go again Jim.

Howard never said that. He said: "there are no strangers at the way."

Accuracy is important!

There you go again Jim.

Howard never said that. He said: "there are no strangers at the way."

Accuracy is important!

are you sure you were with Howard every second of his life so that you can say with accuracy and conviction that he NEVER said that?

• Upvote 1

what did vpw say about humpty dumpty?

because i think he got it wrong like most everyone else does

breaking was never humpty's issue...he wasnt even an egg

accuracy ...yeah

do we think humpty was an egg for the same reason we think jesus was a white guy with blue eyes? illustrated children's books?

• Upvote 1

"If someone comes into the ministry, we don’t drop them, we stick with them. We never kick anyone out."

This is not patently false. Nobody was ever permanently kicked out of the ministry. if so who? Kicked out of the corps yes, but folks always have been welcomed back if they choose to.

Come on guys, we are talking about PATENTLY FALSE VPW one-liners....