GreaseSpot Cafe

VPW's patently false one-liners

Jim

[b]"Women never tell the truth."[/b]

V. P. Wierwille, quoted in The Way- Living in Love, written by devout Wierwille follower Elena Whiteside, and published by The Way International's American Christian Press, 1972, p. 199.

No, he wasn't kidding.

He recounted this story in the same conversation in which he lied to Elena Whiteside about his experiences in Tulsa. He claimed that a blizzard in Tulsa December 11-13, 1951, stopped all trains, buses and planes from moving out of the city. Weather records show that no snow fell the whole week (the biggest snowfall all month was 6 tenths of an inch), and newspaper weather reports indicate that the temperature was in the 50s. We can provide photocopies if you want to see the page yourself.

Here's more from the same page:

(A man asked Wierwille,) "Aren't you that... preacher who spoke in tongues last night?" I said, "yes, but it was a damn lie...." Then a woman came over to me and said, "I think God sent a man here to meet your need. Meet me at 9 a.m." I thought, "Women never tell the truth." But then I reconsidered.... I just remember thinking to myself, "There aren't going to be any women around when I get the holy spirit...." (Later he met J.E. Stiles, whose wife asked Stiles:) "How long will you be?" And he said, "That's none of your business." That was it, and my opinion of him as a man went up 99 percent. His stature increased in my eyes, just from the way he handled her." (TWLIL, pp. 199-200)

The one liner I like is that one about fear and approaching a man of God...

It was like if you had fear you wouldn't/couldn't approach a man of God, and conversely that you approach a man of God having/possessing confidence.

Comparing what I was in TWI and the last say ten years of my life, I would say that I feel that I must surely have a great deal more self-confidence, or belief in my own self worth now. I have had a few conversations with John S. and J. Lynn and M. Graser and I do not recall feeling uncomfortable with any of those experiences. I think that if I had LCM's home number, I would most likely call him and be confrontational...that is, that process of getting to the truth of a matter, as in "Craig, did you or did you not sexually assault women at HQ"?

michael

It goes something like "the written word takes the place of the absent Christ." I know he means absent in the sense of Christ's ascention and not being here physically but it seems so final worded in that way. As though Christ is absent and no longer touching our lives personally which simply isn't true. Know what I mean?

"Small minds talk about people; average minds talk about events; great minds talk about The Word."

Which was cover for "great" minds discussing the supposed spiritual imperfections of numerous people who had been kicked out.

TWI has no members, no membership. We don't keep track of anyone.

Great one, Tzaia, in my opinion. I feel many of us can relate to this one. If we would have had our "defenses" up, as in, if the statement you have posted brought up a red flag or two in our minds, it is likely we would have taken more thought and more time to ease into involvement with TWI. I fully acknowledge these two statements didn't: click, register, effect, sink in, alarm, or anything else with me, it was dive in, and throw caution to the wind...

Great one, Tzaia, in my opinion. I feel many of us can relate to this one. If we would have had our "defenses" up, as in, if the statement you have posted brought up a red flag or two in our minds, it is likely we would have taken more thought and more time to ease into involvement with TWI. I fully acknowledge these two statements didn't: click, register, effect, sink in, alarm, or anything else with me, it was dive in, and throw caution to the wind...

I believed it until some TC made a comment about our abundant sharing (or lack thereof - according to them). My first comment was where they had gotten that information as there was supposedly no membership or tracking of people and that what we gave was none of their business.

From that point forward, I knew it was a lie from hell - another one-liner.

I believed it until some TC made a comment about our abundant sharing (or lack thereof - according to them). My first comment was where they had gotten that information as there was supposedly no membership or tracking of people and that what we gave was none of their business.

From that point forward, I knew it was a lie from hell - another one-liner.

yeah, I also know they keep dossiers on people because something I confessed to a leader that happened when I was a child was brought back to my door later, and it had been discussed amongst leaders at HQ. so much for lockbox, huh?

• 2 weeks later...
"I have no friends when it comes to the word!"

This bromide made a virtue out of being a brittle, reactionary geek with no relationhip skills, compassion or cultural maneuverability. It was a battle cry meant to snuff out dialogue, tension, paradox and mystery - all scary things to a hyper-Teutonic mindset.

We changed that to: I have no friends because of the word. (the way)