GreaseSpot Cafe

The Vision Thing - Josh Silver

socks

I read in the Sunday paper about this. Josh Silver is a guy who's got the vision thing going. Check out THIS LINK to a slide show and slide that describes his invention. It's truly amazing. Here's another story on it.

You can browse the slide show in the first link using the buttons. The whole idea is incredibly cool. What it boils down to is a cheap, user adjustable method of providing corrective lenses in a pair of eyeglasses. They're geared to developing nations where eyecare is scarce. Anyone could benefit, I would think. And I read in the article the current cost for a pair is about 19 bucks and he thinks it could be cut to half that in time. I imagine the technology could serve millions, everywhere.

A quote from the second link:

The implications of bringing glasses within the reach of poor communities are enormous, says the scientist. Literacy rates improve hugely, fishermen are able to mend their nets, women to weave clothing. During an early field trial, funded by the British government, in Ghana, Silver met a man called Henry Adjei-Mensah, whose sight had deteriorated with age, as all human sight does, and who had been forced to retire as a tailor because he could no longer see to thread the needle of his sewing machine. "So he retires. He was about 35. He could have worked for at least another 20 years. We put these specs on him, and he smiled, and threaded his needle, and sped up with this sewing machine. He can work now. He can see."

I've worn glasses since I was 6. I cried when I read this. Such a simple but briliant idea could, will, change the basic quality of life for people all over the world who otherwise have no choice, in the most basic way. This guy should get a People's Pulitzer Prize, if there ever is such a thing.

Very interesting! Prototype is not the prettiest thing, but hey, if it would help people would use it!

Like you, Socks, I've needed optical aids since an early age. Unaided, one eye will focus at 4 inches and the other at 9". So I'd be pretty useless in the workforce without aid.

The difference that can be made for people who have cataracts is also amazing; such a simple operation and one which can be done amazingly cheaply and in minutes, in developing countries.

To supply these self-adjusting specs won't solve every problem but it could solve some problems. If people can see, they can work, and that brings wealth to their whole communities.

Are these to be provided free of charge (charitable) or to be paid for, in which case $19 might be difficult for some developing countries' workers.

They're not the prettiest things, that's for sure. Might define a new level of "geek". :)

From what I've read he's looking at grants and support to pay for them in underdeveloped countries and then it will move in with whatever mechanisms or organizations to support delivery. Cost related to production goes down as the whole deal gets set up and production increases I guess. It's a user adjustable deal, so while some assistance would be required the user is able to determine the "is it better like this - or like this?" part. Super simple, for what it is.

Yep, for basic improving of sight, it's a cheap, doable solution.

Well done!  It's so simple too, why didn't anyone think of it sooner??     :doh:  Great invention, and very altruistic

I wear eyeglasses too, I've been buying mine on the internet lately, you can get the same lenses and frames anywhere from $19-$70 online when they would normally cost hundreds at a brick & motar retailer.

• 2 weeks later...

Golly, Mishter Wishard!

Simply and awesomely done, doable, and being implemented. Amazing.

The format of the study is great...like a science experiment. Being funded (by the Brits no less) is commendable and that initial control distribution to Guyana is targeted, is life giving. (I've come to understand why people "got old" so much faster in generations gone by...one reason being that you are totally relagated to function within your sphere of vision...you can't see, you don't do...)

Now, how could America capitalize on this you might ask?

Do a reality survival show, of course. Palin wear vs. Silver wear...somewhere between Guyana and Alaska or

The cartoon network could produce a show with a geek guyanese guy wearing self-adjustable sight savers as the unlikely super-hero trying to get the other geeky third worlders to see things his/her way...

Bravo channel could arrange for a falling star...say, Urkel... to endorse them and make geekwear a happening thing...

James Lipton could interview the star that made it so...

Oprah would underwrite the book deal and give geekware to all the studio audience...

QVC would come out with designer geek by adding a blob of tape to the middle to keep them together...

The Daily Show would highlight them, Colbert would sport them as a lark...SNL would satirize the importance of anyone not saavy enuf to wear them

and responding to the importance of it all, the newest Fox show, Desperate Guyanese Houseboys, would be born...

Without glasses, I am severly diminished....without coffee and glasses, I am doomed.

X

M