GreaseSpot Cafe

ONLY rule of faith and practice - is this necessary?

potato

Looks like Weirwille pinched this phrase as well.

"The Rule of Faith and Practice"

by A. A. Hodge (1823-1886)

From Outlines of Theology (Chapter Five)

Originally published in 1860, Outlines of Theology is now in the public domain. This chapter may therefore be copied and distributed without restriction.

Rest of the article can be viewed here:

http://www.the-highway.com/Scripture_Hodge.html

A.A. Hodge (1823-1886), Professor in Systematic Theology at Princeton Seminary from 1877 until his death in 1886, urged that the aim of every Christian teacher should be to produce a vitalizing impression — giving students ‘theology, exposition, demonstration, orthodoxy, learning, but giving all this to them warm.’ ‘He taught the knowledge of God,’ said one of his hearers, ‘with the learning of a scholar and the enthusiasm of a loving Christian’. These qualities not only crowded his classrooms, they also led to frequent appeals for the delivery of popular lectures. This article is taken from his Outlines of Theology, first published in 1860 by the Banner of Truth Trust

Good reference. I am going to have to add that one to my library. Interesting to note though that many, not just VPW used the same lingo. Whether it be Bosworth, Kenyon, Stiles, Allen, Lake etc... etc... This stems from their theology even though they have minor differences. I read many of Kenyon's books and read "God's Word is His will..." VPW said the same thing just worded it differently, but all the ministers that came up during the "Voice of healing" era all had very similar vocabularies as well as doctrinal practices with regards to the workinf of the Holy Spirit. They all borrowed from each other IMO.

A lot of the music from the 1950s "borrowed" from a common format.

You can't, however, just slap some words on

and pretend you wrote it.

Or on "He's So Fine" - even if they're about your sweet lord and you weren't conscious of the similarities. The law takes a dim view of that.

Good reference. I am going to have to add that one to my library. Interesting to note though that many, not just VPW used the same lingo. Whether it be Bosworth, Kenyon, Stiles, Allen, Lake etc... etc... This stems from their theology even though they have minor differences. I read many of Kenyon's books and read "God's Word is His will..." VPW said the same thing just worded it differently, but all the ministers that came up during the "Voice of healing" era all had very similar vocabularies as well as doctrinal practices with regards to the workinf of the Holy Spirit. They all borrowed from each other IMO.

Docvic never knew the meaning of *borrow*. He stole and *copyrighted* other's works, plain and simple.

He wasn't content with *sharing knowledge* or crediting others. He had to take credit for it, all of it.

Just my IMO, but a valid one, eh? <_<

Docvic never knew the meaning of *borrow*. He stole and *copyrighted* other's works, plain and simple.

He wasn't content with *sharing knowledge* or crediting others. He had to take credit for it, all of it.

Just my IMO, but a valid one, eh? <_<

Cannot say i agree 100% on that. I know he gave credit to many people. Not that I ever heard him say that "How the bible Interprets itself" was soley attributed to Bullinger, but he did a lot in that many of bullinger's works have been put back on the press because of much of what VP did. I never heard him say he was the originator of any of the material. Only that he claimed that God would teach him the Word as it was not know since Pentecost or something to that effect. Which i took with a grain of salt. I was intirgued with how much of Bullinger work was incorporated into VP' stuff. Because I think Bullinger had a great mind and was a decent theologian. Looking back I am rather thankful because it afforded me the opportunity to study other biblical works that other's have done that i may never have stumbled across.

My only rule of faith and practice...

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a f$ck$n' ride!!!"

<snip>

he did a lot in that many of bullinger's works have been put back on the press because of much of what VP did.

</snip>

you're not the first person who's asserted that Bullinger's continued popularity is due in some part to vpw's work, and that Bullinger would have slipped into obscurity if it weren't for vpw, or even that Bullinger was obscure before vpw made him popular. I'd really like to see some numbers to back this claim up.

My only rule of faith and practice...

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a f$ck$n' ride!!!"

If you exercise regularly, eat right, get enough sleep, learn to deal with stress, and do everything else right, then eventually,

you will die.

:biglaugh:

Cannot say i agree 100% on that. I know he gave credit to many people. Not that I ever heard him say that "How the bible Interprets itself" was soley attributed to Bullinger, but he did a lot in that many of bullinger's works have been put back on the press because of much of what VP did. I never heard him say he was the originator of any of the material. Only that he claimed that God would teach him the Word as it was not know since Pentecost or something to that effect. Which i took with a grain of salt. I was intirgued with how much of Bullinger work was incorporated into VP' stuff. Because I think Bullinger had a great mind and was a decent theologian. Looking back I am rather thankful because it afforded me the opportunity to study other biblical works that other's have done that i may never have stumbled across.

So, you knew about Bullinger before you knew about vpw?

hmm

i am also kinda wondering why my post only reminds you of that passage of scripture, WTH

...that is, if you are telling the truth, and not just being sarcastic and trying to imply something else entirely

if not, and you are being genuine...

...that fact that you have even noticed your self wondering why my post only reminds you of that passage of scripture is probably good for you ... and i hope it helps somehow

The reason your post reminded me of that particular passage is because what it all boils down to and really depends on is whether your posts [arguments] (or anybody else's posts [arguments] for that matter) truely holds "any water" or not.

Edited by What The Hey

Just a simple question about this topic. Is this discussion about two separate things: that is, about faith and practice, or is it about only one thing? If we are discussing two things, i.e. someone's faith and practice, then why should there only be ONE rule or need to be ONE rule?

But if we are speaking figuratively (two nouns being used but only one thing meant) then what we are discussing is what someone faithfully practices or what someone practices faithfully. If it is for that I suppose, then there probably should only be ONE rule.

What was Jesus Christ's "only rule for faith and practice" ?

This ought to be easy------just give a scripture reference and be done with it.

You just THINK it should be easy. HA!

Mike,

If you are going to say Jesus' only rule of faith and practice was the word. . . . then you better start brushing up on Deuteronomy. That is the book He quoted from the most.

Jesus spoke of HIMSELF with the words the Father gave Him. But, before we go trying to compare VP to Jesus we need to remember . . . . Jesus said. . . before Abraham was I AM! He was raised from the dead and is seated at the right hand of God.

VP I fear is in a much warmer climate. Consider if you will. . . just consider in light of VP's scripture twists. . . that even the devil said. . . "It is written"

Long ago God spoke to the fathers by the prophets at different times and in different ways. 2 In these last days, He has spoken to us by [His] Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things and through whom He made the universe. 3 He is the radiance of His glory, the exact expression of His nature, and He sustains all things by His powerful word. After making purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.

Edited by geisha779

Ahh now there ya go man - Ren and Stimpy - although I believe the original broadcast was "Don't Wizz on the Electric Fence"

oh, I've been reproved.

Ya got me spiritually right between the eyes on that one.

Thanks man.

:biglaugh:

What was Jesus Christ's "only rule for faith and practice" ?

I'm afraid as an agnostic that one wouldn't settle the issue for me although it would be an interesting intellectual exercise :)

This thread's still going?? :blink:

Maybe Mike has discovered a new rule for faith and practice ... silent contemplation.

Howdy Folks,

I'm not posting much because I'm fighting GPA, my Greasespot Posting Addiction. I'm also working to pay my bills, which is a challenge for a window cleaner in the rainy season. I'm also trying to respect the management here by posting far less profusely, and thereby helping to keep the peace.

I do have a tiny bit more to contribute to this topic.

Jesus Christ's only rule for faith and practice was the written scriptures, which were available to him at a very early age, and were in quite good condition, otherwise John the Baptist would have been charged with the job of fixing them.

Jesus quite well mastered those scriptures and he used them to judge the truth of all situations he ran into, both social and religious, and EVEN supernatural. When confronted by the devil in the desert, Jesus compared the words spoken to the written scriptures he had well memorized and he ruled (or judged) the devil's words inaccurate.

Jesus guided his entire life by the OT scriptures, even when it came to him receiving revelation. He knew that his Father would not contradict His own written revelations with a direct revelation, so Jesus' only rule even served him there. He judged (or ruled) everything by the written scriptures. They were his ONLY rule in that he did not bring in his own opinions or feelings.

There are many, many Gospel scriptures that bear this out.

Now, on one occasion he did SUMMARIZE his only rule down to the two most important commandments, but he still retained and used all the other words written in his only rule for each specific situation he encountered.

He had one rule, and only one. It was plain and simple, and didn't require him to research to obtain it; he just read it and walked by it.

Edited by Mike