GreaseSpot Cafe

Anybody ever hear of deep fried hot dogs?

While surfing the net, I came across something called deep fried hot dogs. The article said they are called rippers in New Jersey. Sometimes they are rolled in bacon? Anybody know how to make these? I don't want Corn-dogs, yuck. I don't like corn meal. But I'm wondering if you are supposed to use flour and eggs for a coating, like with chicken or something.

Anybody anybody?

babyrott60percent.gif

...It's hard to be humble when you own a Rottweiler...

According to my New Jersey born Kaisersushiverbalkint84, they are not breaded. Just drop your hot dog of choice into a vat of hot fat.

If you want a real treat, I saw on the news that deep fried twinkies are a real treat too.

To every man his own truth and his own God within.

Aren't corn dogs fried???

And the deep fried twinkies DO sound good...

heeheee - my mom once told me that anything tasted good when it's fried!!! (think of gross things!)

Hope R. color>size>face>

Life, what is it but a dream? - Lewis Carroll

yup!....long ago, as a short order cook, we used to throw them in the deep fryer when we got REALLY busy, they cook so much faster

i liked the way they crisped up on the outside

twinkies!? that would be interesting

lol@ rafael ....i would truly die without an ample intake of fat, i'm sure of it icon_smile.gif:)-->

I think corn dogs are fried yes, but I remember as a little girl just the smell of those things made me gag.

I didn't try the deep fried twinkies, but I read that the guy who came up with the idea tried everything. fried Mars bars (which he said was a Scottish delicacy)fried M&M's (fell through the cage holes)and fried Pepermint patties (a disaster)

I found an online recipe for twinkies, and it includes a milk and flour based batter.

I don't have a deep fryer though, just a pan. I tried making poppers once at home, and it was a mess. You really need a deep fryer for a batter type coating.

But yeah, I LOVE fried foods. Sometimes I'll fry me up a mess of bacon then fry my eggs right in the bacon grease. yum yum.

Another delicacy is frying up mashed boiled potato's with green peppers and onions in oil and butter and adding bacon grease. mmmmm.

babyrott60percent.gif

Fried Bologna with onions. icon_razz.gif:P--> mmmmm. That's the ONLY way to eat that stuff.

And oh yes, the fried dogs were crispy outside and steamy on the inside. Would have loved to have a deep frying vat for them.

OH! Another thing I remember doing is dipping bacon in flour and frying it like that.

babyrott60percent.gif

11 years ago, when I was in college, I was night manager at Wag's restaurants (Rottsie - remember Wag's? then Shoney's)

One night, this couple ordered steaks well done. My cook cooked them well done. But this couple sent the steaks back twice. Finally, I said, "Just put them in the fryer."

On their way out that couple said, "Those were the best steaks we ever had!"

Go figure!

I worked at a fast food joint in Connecticut when I was 16(late 60's-choke), where we fried all the hot dogs in the same vat we cooked french fries in. The footlong chili dogs were the best Ive ever tasted and we used to sell them by the ton to a nearby factory at lunchtime.

The only problem was that same fry vat was used for everything from french fries to hot dogs, onion rings, lobster rolls, and clams. By the end of the day, youd be tasting onion ring in the french fries. It was all so healthy.

Still, I have fond memories of dropping a dozen long dogs in the vat and watching them fry. You knew they were done when a split along the side of the dog occurred

LLP - the Mexican restaurants around here do that... and I agree - it's really does taste great!

(btw - good to see you!)

Wag's! Haven't heard that one in a long time. Yesterday, someone mentioned Sambo's!!! Talk about politically incorrect!

hiway - I've never heard of a fried lobster roll! Is it made like an eggroll. In my part of the country a lobster roll is made like a tuna salad - onion, celery, mayo, etc. - it's served cold and on a hotdog bun...

As far as hot dogs and other fast food goes - I miss Sonic and loved their chili cheese fries and dogs. No Sonics in NH! icon_frown.gif:(-->

Deep fried steaks! I?m gonna have to try that sometime. And the ice cream I?ve heard about. I looked it up and you can make it either dipped in cornflakes or white bread wrapped around a scoop. God this is making me hungry.

I had lobster rolls in Kennebunkport and I'm sure they were fried. Man, a double lobster dinner straight from the ocean with all the trimmings for less than 15 bucks. icon_razz.gif:P-->

btw, I thought Wags was gone longer than that, and I thought Shoneys was still around.

Sambos! I remember I went there to wash windows (yeah I did that too briefly) early in the morning and the whole place was shutting down because of bankruptcy. The employees were walking around in a daze. The cops were there because the manager was caught trying to steal some stuff and some Corporate guys were being such jerks to me like I was in on it.

Wag's was bought from Marriott corporation by Lunan Corporation (a small corporation in Chicago, owns a lot of the Arby's restaurants around town) in 1991, about 2 weeks after I started working at Wag's, and about exactly the time I started in college.

They started converting Wag's to Shoney's rapidly, ultimately converting 22 of the 29 Wag's into Shoney's.

Then in late 1993, and through 1994, they started shutting down, because money was not managed very well.

Finally in July 1994, the Shoney's franchisee and partner of the guy that owned Lunan skipped town several million dollars in debt, and went to be the CEO of Sizzler down in Flahrida.

RottieGrrrl...

The current popular treat for Arkinsaw tourists is deep fried dill pickles.

Just take a big ol' pickle, batter it and deep fry it. They aren't bad at all, once you get used to the idea.

My personal favorite is the jalapeno pepper stuffed with cheese, then battered and fried. Affectionately known as "Armadillo Eggs" they, too are quite popular.

A new thing has come on the grease horizon and that's the battered and fried chicken on a stick with a slice of dill pickle and some other unidentifiable things added for good measure.

Aint life grand in the deep fryer?

lard.gif

In a real world and just society, lazy critters eat last.

If any care to feed them.

DEO VINDICE!!

Ron G.

Steve: That's funny about the CEO. It figures. I always thought Wags was a make over of Walgreens restaurant. I remember they had a diner and coffee shop at Yorktown, and they remodeled the diner and made it into Wags.

Ron: deep fried pickles, I've heard that before somewhere. I think on one of the City confidential shows. And the jalepino (sp.) cheese stuff is a huge fave of mine as well, over here they are called Poppers. Funny poster btw. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Rottsievampirella -

"WAG" is Walgreen's stock ticker symbol. Yes, Wag's *was* a makeover from Walgreen's diner.

Then Walgreen's sold it to Marriott in the 1980's, and the rest you know.

Yorktown? I didn't even know there used to be one there!

When I was in college I ended up working in the main office for Wag's/Shoney's, and was the chief cash register repair guy and reprogrammer, so I ended up visiting every Wag's/Shoney's location in the Chicago area at least once - all 30 locations.