GreaseSpot Cafe

I've Been Spoiled

Oakspear

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

husband is brewing a new brew today.. the kitchen smells heavenly..

it is a Belgian Ale.. Last week it was a Belgian Abby Ale. NOt sure what the difference will be but

as I said my kitchen smells yummy.

Bolshaveck have you considered your own brew?

They are far far superior to the cheap store stuff with the exception of some of the more expensive bottles

That's probably true.

One time this dude handed me a new beer to try. I hadn't taken three sips when he was said "Don't worry, the second one is usually better."

I said, "Isn't that true for all beers?"

:biglaugh:

Ya know --- If you ever DON'T have anything to do on Father's day weekend, come on up here to Duluth Minnesota. About 15 years ago, a bunch of home brewers got together (on that day), to celebrate being fathers, and to sample the various brews they had each been crafting. I'm neither a father, nor a brewer, but they liked my fiddle/ banjo/ guitar/ mandolin playing enuf that they invited me to invite some of my picking friends over to their *little get-together* which has been held now for all these years. It's a *dream job* for me. Getting a chance to pick, and sample some of the area's finest????

If you think good beer is ONLY German made, you are sadly mistaken. :)

Ya know --- If you ever DON'T have anything to do on Father's day weekend, come on up here to Duluth Minnesota. About 15 years ago, a bunch of home brewers got together (on that day), to celebrate being fathers, and to sample the various brews they had each been crafting. I'm neither a father, nor a brewer, but they liked my fiddle/ banjo/ guitar/ mandolin playing enuf that they invited me to invite some of my picking friends over to their *little get-together* which has been held now for all these years. It's a *dream job* for me. Getting a chance to pick, and sample some of the area's finest????

If you think good beer is ONLY German made, you are sadly mistaken. :)

I have to agree with this after having my Husbands and his brothers home made beers.

and the taste is fantastic from the first to the last sip. (This is saying a lot I am not a big beer drinker.. I am a Have one on an incredibly hot day kind of person)

. . .

Bolshaveck have you considered your own brew?

They are far far superior to the cheap store stuff with the exception of some of the more expensive bottles

I do know someone who brews.

I help by making empty bottles . . .

Are they German so you can keep your statements intact and *valid*?? :unsure:

Wow, I seem to have really upset you. :)

Yes, they are German, for the most part. (I do have budget constraints).

I think the German bottled beer they ship over here isn't as good as in Germany. I used to get beer from a guy in the German military, who had his beer shipped directly from Germany. The labels were in German and such. When I finally found the brand here in the U.S. they sometimes weren't as good.

I'll have to plan a Duluth-Koblenz trip one day . . .

Are they German so you can keep your statements intact and *valid*?? :unsure:
Wow, I seem to have really upset you. :)

Yes, they are German, for the most part. (I do have budget constraints).

I think the German bottled beer they ship over here isn't as good as in Germany. I used to get beer from a guy in the German military, who had his beer shipped directly from Germany. The labels were in German and such. When I finally found the brand here in the U.S. they sometimes weren't as good.

I'll have to plan a Duluth-Koblenz trip one day . . .

WOOPS -- Mea culpa! Not upset at all here. I see I put in the wrong emoticon. Sorry about that!!

Instead of :unsure: I meant to put ;)

Speaking of beer brewed elsewhere -- I've heard that the Guinness sold here in the states is nowhere near as good as in Ireland.

Matter of fact -- I've heard that the BEST tasting place to enjoy it is at the brewery itself. One of these years I might check that out.

Okay, I have to chime in here on the fruity beer from Belgium... it's good stuff... but it's not beer...

No, no - repeat after me, "This is NOT beer.... this is Lambic..."

It is a malted fruit beverage - NOT beer. Just like wine coolers are not wine but a malt bev.

lambic1.jpg

(Yes the label says beer... Chazzy knows.... but that's so Americans will know how to categorize it... as we know wine, beer, and hard stuff...)

By the way - a couple ounces of razberry Lambic mixed with a Young's Chocolate Stout is damn good!

Just for a bit more clarity fruity beers versus beers with a fruit like taste are two different things.

Some ales have a hint of fruit flavor or aroma as opposed to an ale with fruit added to it.

and speaking of this our bottled batch for today is an Abby Ale (pale but to me it is a medium golden color) with a hint of blueberries to it.

I will let you know how it tastes in a few weeks when the first bottle is opened.

Also anyone interested in trying their hand at beer making .. there is a nice Mr beer kit. that works really well and is not too expensive, and easy to use.

We have moved on to much larger batches but Hubby started with the Mr beer kit.

Edited by leafytwiglet

Okay, I have to chime in here on the fruity beer from Belgium... it's good stuff... but it's not beer...

No, no - repeat after me, "This is NOT beer.... this is Lambic..."

It is a malted fruit beverage - NOT beer. Just like wine coolers are not wine but a malt bev.

lambic1.jpg

(Yes the label says beer... Chazzy knows.... but that's so Americans will know how to categorize it... as we know wine, beer, and hard stuff...)

By the way - a couple ounces of razberry Lambic mixed with a Young's Chocolate Stout is damn good!

That's the stuff,

bleh. :)