GreaseSpot Cafe

I've Been Spoiled

Oakspear

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please post all photos with the new yahoo activeX "smell attachment". Creative labs does have the smell card available, however, the optional smell recorder is not included (modestly priced USB device). thank you for your cooperation, I looking forward to an enhanced experience with regard to future postings...regards, michael

There's two beers that I remember as being "off the charts" - and as I no longer indulge - memory is all I've got left.

One was "Black VooDoo" beer that was a seasonal sorta thing, brewed in (or maybe around) New Orleans. It was - as the name would suggest - a dark beer, but not overly heavy. Really tasty. But my favorite was "Watney's Red Barrel Beer" - ON TAP. You can find it in bottles at most good grocery stores, but it's just not the same. If you can find it on tap, it's really a treat. The Central Tavern (the oldest tavern still in operation in Seattle) USED to have it and I was known to imbibe in a bit of it from time to time. After an evening of indulgence, we'd usually start calling it "Watney's Wed Bawwoh Beeah". Uh, comes with the territory I guess...

Is the Central Tavern in the University area of Seattle?

Is the Central Tavern in the University area of Seattle?

No, the tavern of note in the "U" district is the "Blue Moon". The Central - as the name would suggest - is in the center of downtown Seattle (or what WAS the center of town cir. 1890 or so). Basically it's right in Pioneer Square, just off the corner of 1st Ave. and Yesler St. ...

My work and play are the same. I actually sell some of the micro craft brews and premium imports to bars, liquor stores and restaurants. A few of my brands have been mentioned by others on this thread; i.e. Ommegang, Summit, "Blackened Voodoo" from Dixie Brewing, St. Peters, etc. Thanks for the plugs guys. Some other of my brands are Rogue (Oregon), Great Lakes (Cleveland, their Edmund Fitzgerald porter rules), Victory (Pennsylvania, their Prima Pils is Men's Journal perennial pick as best pilsner), Lagunitas (California, their IPA has been named best India Pale Ale by Maxim Magazine although my favorite from this brewery is one of their seasonal brews, Imperial Red Ale.) North Coast (California, their Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout was rated by Beer Advocate with the score of 100 when they were giving number grades.) Great Divide (Colorado), Breckenridge (Colorado) and Southern Tier (New York).

Perhaps the favorite beer I sell is the Bavarian Hefeweizen from Braueri M. Plank from Germany. This is a small family owned brewery located about two hours from Munich. Established in 1617 the recipe and art of making bavarian wheat beers has been handed down from father to son. For seventeen generations, the eldest son in the Plank family has been named Michael and with the name comes the designation as the next brewmaster. At the 2006 World Beer Cup, the brewery was named "Best small brewery in the World" and two of their beers were awarded Gold Medals in their categories another was awarded silver.

Did you know...?

Hops, used as a bittering agent in beer, is a member of the cannabinacea family and as such is a relative of marijuana.

The difference between a lager and an ale is that the former is bottom fermented and the latter is top fermented.

In Europe people with colds often visit a brewery to breathe the air in order to relieve symptoms.

Edited by oenophile

I want to try, Sam Adam's "utopia" brew, Modern Marvels has done a piece on it. The Adam's people say they use a "Ninja" yeast that is able to work in an environment of alcohol above 12 per cent. They say its like a taste of the beer the Mesopotamians would have drunk......yow...I am in on that...!!!!

I want to try, Sam Adam's "utopia" brew, Modern Marvels has done a piece on it. The Adam's people say they use a "Ninja" yeast that is able to work in an environment of alcohol above 12 per cent. They say its like a taste of the beer the Mesopotamians would have drunk......yow...I am in on that...!!!!

Yeast can usually withstand a.b.v. up to 15%.

Hubby's new brew for today is a german double bach??? bock??? I am not sure I spelled it correctly.

See my post above. It's double bock (English) or doppelbock (German). Bock means "bottom" and it's where the yeast live during fermentation. Double means twice as strong. BTW, I just picked up a bottle of Fullsail Doppelbock and found it to be quite good.

No, the tavern of note in the "U" district is the "Blue Moon". The Central - as the name would suggest - is in the center of downtown Seattle (or what WAS the center of town cir. 1890 or so). Basically it's right in Pioneer Square, just off the corner of 1st Ave. and Yesler St. ...

Ya, I think I know which one you are talking about. And the Blue Moon, too. Have you been to the one I mentioned earlier at Pike Street market...I am thinking that brew was Alaska Amber..maybe not..but maybe..

Ya, I think I know which one you are talking about. And the Blue Moon, too. Have you been to the one I mentioned earlier at Pike Street market...I am thinking that brew was Alaska Amber..maybe not..but maybe..

Yeah, there's not too many places - good or bad - I haven't been to around Seattle. The "Pike Brewing Co." has a "Pike Pale Ale", they're not too far from the market.

Then there's the "Pyramid Brewing Co." down by Safeco Field, and "The Redhook Brewery" in the Fremont District. "Alaska Amber" near as I know is brewed in Juneau, but there's lots of places that serve it around Seattle...

Finally... a subject worth talking about!

I'm a fan of the Belgian beers myslef -- over the holdiays I had plenty of doubles, triples, and quadrouples.

I prefer a strong, smokey, dark beer with a hoppy finish and a bit of a bite going down.... mmmmmmmmmm just describing it is making me thirsty ;-)

One of my favorite vacations included a stop at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen and the 'History of Beer Museum' that they feature at the brewery. Worth the money and the time to wonder around and, of course, after all that wondering work up a thirst, they have thier own micro brewery on site with a new recipe or two to check out before you exit.

This summer -- while in the States -- I tried some of the Samuel Adams cherry wheat which I liked along with some microbrewed stuff. Can't say I remember much about the microbrewed, so I guess it wasn't that impressive.

I'll take Belgian, English, Danish, German, or even Swiss beers any day over the 'stuff' they mass produce in the States.

Edited by Greek2me

Beer comes from Germany.

Anything else is a cheap imitation.

That's a bit harsh.

Some countries were taught beermaking by the Germans and then stayed the course. I often wonder what pre-prohibition beer tasted like. It would have been brewed by first and second generation German-American brewmasters. I bet it would have been a lot different from the BudMicCoors that we have now.

bud is owned by becks, miller south africa, coors i dunno.

Pretty much all american beer is like soda. I like it during a ball game.

a lot of german beer was developed in monasteries I hear. They lived a good life . . . :biglaugh:

bud is owned by becks, miller south africa, coors i dunno.

Pretty much all american beer is like soda. I like it during a ball game.

a lot of german beer was developed in monasteries I hear. They lived a good life . . . :biglaugh:

So much for Monasteries - - - - - >>>>

A young monk arrives at the monastery. He is assigned to helping the other monks in copying the old canons and laws of the church by hand. He notices, however, that all of the monks are copying from copies, not from the original manuscript.

So, the new monk goes to the head abbot to question this, pointing out that if someone made even a small error in the first copy, it would never be picked up. In fact, that error would be continued in all of the subsequent copies.

The head monk says, "We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son." So, he goes down into the dark caves underneath the monastery where the original manuscripts are held as archives in a locked vault that hasn't been opened for hundreds of years.

Hours go by and nobody sees the old abbot. So, the young monk gets worried and goes down to look for him. He sees him banging his head against the wall and wailing, "We missed the "R", we missed the "R". His forehead is all bloody and bruised and he is crying uncontrollably.

The young monk asks the old abbot, "What's wrong, father?" With a choking voice, the old abbot replies, "The word was CELEBRATE!"

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Good beer can be had in almost any country. A short history lesson for you though on US beer. Pre WWII some of the best beer was brewed in the US - mostly due to the influx of German immigrants post WWI. During WWII coffee and malt were in short supply in the US. Malt was used to make beverages and cereals (anyone remember Postum or Malto-meal?) so the brewers substituted corn sugar instead of malt - and thus was born cheap, lousy, yellow, pi ss y, American beer. They marketed it well and heck - not like there was a choice. Plenty of good micro brews now in the US that make fine beers and ales.

Beer comes from Germany.

Anything else is a cheap imitation.

LOL- I love - freaking love - good German food

I do what the taste buds tell me to. :biglaugh:

I think the food is better for you in Germany too.

Microbrews seem to always go out of business or get bought out. Far as I know anyway.