GreaseSpot Cafe

I am Polish - so here is my best Polish story

mchud11

Back when I lived in Chicago, because there are a lot of Polish people there, a museum, a part of Chicago called "Ukraine Village" which has poles...I started to connect with "my roots". At the time I was working part time and needed some extra money. I was approached by someone, who had some work, although, not legal, as in doing some "running some numbers". As in like a courier, for illegal gambling, and run by the Polish mob, Polish organized crime. And I was pretty good at it. Made some money. And as time went on, I was offered, bacause I am Polish, a spot in the Polish mob, they offered to "make" me in the family. Before I took the offer, I did some research by asking questions here and there. What I found out was that the mob really did business like in the old country, the old school way, like in Poland.. When it came down to it, to be an enforcer, that is a guy who collects bad gambling debts, if the guy who you are collecting money from, for a bad debt, won't pay up, you have to break your own arms and legs until he does... So, I turned down the offer..

See - Polish mob, break your own arms and legs. Nuff said.

That reminds me of the Monty Python sketch about the Piranha Brothers, Doug and Dinsdale...

"At the age of fifteen Doug and Dinsdale started attending the Ernest Pythagoras Primary School in Clerkenwell. When the Piranhas left school they were called up but were found by an Army Board to be too unstable even for National Service. Denied the opportunity to use their talents in the service of their country, they began to operate what they called 'The Operation'... They would select a victim and then threaten to beat him up if he paid the so-called protection money. Four months later they started another operation which the called 'The Other Operation'. In this racket they selected another victim and threatened not to beat him up if he didn't pay them. One month later they hit upon 'The Other Other Operation'. In this the victim was threatened that if he didn't pay them, they would beat him up. This for the Piranha brothers was the turning point."

That reminds me of the Monty Python sketch about the Piranha Brothers, Doug and Dinsdale...

"At the age of fifteen Doug and Dinsdale started attending the Ernest Pythagoras Primary School in Clerkenwell. When the Piranhas left school they were called up but were found by an Army Board to be too unstable even for National Service. Denied the opportunity to use their talents in the service of their country, they began to operate what they called 'The Operation'... They would select a victim and then threaten to beat him up if he paid the so-called protection money. Four months later they started another operation which the called 'The Other Operation'. In this racket they selected another victim and threatened not to beat him up if he didn't pay them. One month later they hit upon 'The Other Other Operation'. In this the victim was threatened that if he didn't pay them, they would beat him up. This for the Piranha brothers was the turning point."

I love it Mark. Thanks, great story....."that parrot what you sold me yesterday is dead"...