GreaseSpot Cafe

"The Word is over The World"

themex

Imo.......by 1995, martindale was ready to step away from living in wierwille's shadow. Martindale had, now, distanced himself from "the fog years" by some six years and was ready to STAMP HIS MARK on twi's legacy. On several corps teachings, lcm reiterated that HIS MINISTRY WAS INDICATIVE OF THE NUMBER 2........twi's 2nd corps director, twi's 2nd president, 2nd this, 2nd that. He was "the man who established what wierwille started." And, he was going to re-do vic's foundational class.

To add a little more to this.......

1) "Word over the world" was replaced by..........The Prevailing Word

2) The wow auditorium was renamed.................The Prevailing Word Auditorium

3) PFAL class was updated by............................The Way of Abundance and Power

4) The corps program was retitled.....................WC2

5) New themes in twi........................................The Promised Land of the Prevailing Word

All of this before the 2nd mighty...............................THUD.

:evildenk:

Edited by skyrider

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All really pretty excuses for explaining away their failure. Everything flopped and rather than take an honest look at themselves, and their beliefs that had lead them down this road.....they had to make it seem like the plummeting numbers, the lack of reception of the new classes and programs to come up with a way of making it all seem ok.

That was always the way it was at way world, don`t like the implications of what you see? Just renew your mind to a different truth.

Even in it's hey day the way had about the same significance in the "big picture" as a moblile taco stand has on the entire food industry in LA. Just like that mobile taco stand's inability to offer every person in Los Angeles the opportunity to eat one of their tacos an insignificant number of the earth's population has ever even heard of this organization...and thanks to the idiots in charge, never will.

Edited by Calflor

Even in it's hey day the way had about the same significance in the "big picture" as a moblile taco stand has on the entire food industry in LA. Just like that mobile taco stand's inability to offer every person in Los Angeles the opportunity to eat one of their tacos an insignificant number of the earth's population has never even heard of this organization...and thanks to the idiots in charge, never will.

Tacos in LA, Mexico and China

http://www.bestfoodinchina.net/taxonomy_menu/1/61

About 2 weeks ago, while reading some of the GS archives, I too found out that Martindale declared the word was over the world in the 90's, I hadn't ever read that before, it actually made me laugh and spew my coffee over my computer screen when I read it.  

In my opinion, he did that so he could impose his mark on twi and establish his own regime, leaving vpee's legacy behind...it was more about eliminating any traces of vpee worship.  It also enabled him to cancel the ROA cleanly, and the WOW program too.  In light of his tirades of disgust with the teen sex he believed was rampant in the former ROA years and his lunatic homophobia, he probably reasoned the close of these two problem oriented programs did god a favor and stopped the adversary from infecting the ministry.  It also ushered in more autocratic controll for himself over the ministry and established a way he could implement further indiscriminate cleansings of the household.

Here is a post of the chronology of the times from HopeR that sheds light on his regime:

TWI 3 & 4

(This is going to be long)...

I just re-read the TWI 1, 2 and 3 thread over for the first time in a few years and was totally blown away by the insight from some of the “old-timers” who posted there.

Many of you who post and read GS got out of TWI sometime before or during that 3 year transitional period between 1986 (CG’s reading of POP), until 1989 (LCM out of the “fog). Most of you didn’t hang around for LCM’s reign of terror.

I’ve had various discussions with people who stuck around and those who got out earlier – and I’ve come to the conclusion that those of you who got out in the 80’s really have no idea of how bad TWI 3 became. I’m not saying “my fish is bigger than your fish” at all. I’m just saying that if you weren’t there, you can’t know (sort of like when we try to explain things to NBW people – they can get an idea, but no way can they understand what we’ve been through).

I think some people tend to forget that LCM was the leader of TWI for 15+ years – more time than most of us had under VPW’s Mogship. Much of the discussion on GS is regarding VP – his teachings, his plagiarism, his sexual misconduct and more. 

But what about Craig? Those people who are still in today were basically told that everything from TWI 1 was an “old wineskin” and that LCM’s teachings were the “present truth”. No one that I know of at HQ’s has stated otherwise. They still follow his teachings in classes and books. His name may be unspoken, but his words aren’t. 

When I was still involved and started looking on the internet, the stuff I saw about TWI was either old stories about the Corps’ gun training in Emporia or stuff about VP’s plagiarism. To me, it was ancient history. None of it really surprised me – people had been telling those stories for years. I knew things in TWI were awful and getting worse and I just wanted some kind of validation – to hear it from another source. I wanted insight on what was happening in the present – things like Paul A. had in the Waydale documents section.

I believe we still have a “job” to do in exposing the evils of the more recent years of TWI 3 (LCM) and 4(RFR), especially to those who may be reading who are still in. (Harve? Mr. Linder? Gary?). I’m not saying that the topics about the early days are irrelevant – just that lately we’ve pretty much become a TWI 1 discussion forum.

I would like to ask anyone to share the experiences they had in TWI 3 & 4 on this thread.

I borrowed the outline of Oakspear’s post on the TWI 1,2 & 3 thread for chronology – but added some lenghtly details (apologies to Oaksie!)

TWI 2

1985- VP dies

Leaders start questioning LCM’s ability to lead

One year later – Geer reads POP and all hell breaks loose.

Geer gets control of the BOT

Martindale goes into his “fog years”

Between 1986 & 1989 – 4/5ths of the leadership leaves, many form off-shoots.

TWI 2 ends with CG running rampant on LCM and the BOT.

TWI 3 (IMO this is where all the garbage started gurgling to the surface, sorta like a bad septic tank!)

1989 – 17th Corps graduates – LCM teaches Galatians to them, which will become to be known as the “Leaders Tapes” and later the “Galatians Tapes”. There, he gives his interpretation of what happened with CG and uses the term “fog years” for the first time referring to the 3 year period Geer was the puppetmaster. He discredits JAL, Geer and others who walked away from TWI. Sets himself up as the MOG once more. 

1989-1990 – All Corps and AC Grads on the field listen to the tapes. 

The 90’s are declared the “Decade of Victory” – the word “prevailing” is saturated into the TWI vocabulary.

1990/91 – LCM goes out on the field to different areas to teach the “Acts Weekends” and show everyone that he’s back in charge.

1992 – 50th Anniversary – LCM teaches an “Advanced Class Special on Discerning of Spirits” at HQ’s. Later that year, his new “Defeating the Adversary” class comes out and replaces VP’s old “Dealing with the Adversary” class. 

The theme for that year is “Rise to the Word, Expand to the World”. The Household starts being stressed as the only place for spiritual growth. 

quote:

“Spiritual growth, or rise, has to take place in the household of God; and it cannot happen anywhere else.” (Nov/Dec 1992 Way Magazine, LCM’s opening article). 

1993 – The Homosexual Witch hunt begins! The May/June issue of the Way Magazine’s cover reads “WHAT DOES THE WORD SAY?”. The main articles were:

• Not Ashamed of the Gospel: The Sin of Homosexuality, by L.Craig Martindale

• On Homosexuality: Common Questions/Uncommon Answers, by Keith W. Jackson

• To All K.T. Lunds in the Gunnison Valley (Article reprint from the Gunnision Country Times) by Ed Horney

Even the letters section contains letters that all pertain to the evils of homosexuality – mostly letters about AIDS and the “don’t ask, don’t tell” military policy.

Also in 1993 – LCM records his new “Advanced Class on Power for Abundant Living”

1993 Anniversary Theme “The Way of Holiness: Walk Ye In It!”

(Note: The WOW Program and the ROA are still taking place and being promoted in the Way Magazine every year PFAL is still being run.)

July 1994: War Declared on homosexuals with the Way Corps. Letter from Martindale to the Way Corps announcing a witch hunt for any homosexuals within the ranks. This letter features very explicit descriptions of homosexual sex acts and bestiality. Martindale sets the stage for an inquisition-like purge within The Way where a mere "genuine spiritual suspicion" is enough to bring someone in for interrogation. This purge led to hundreds being thrown out of The Way. 

"You should be thankful you're not in the Old Testament times, because there are some of us who would gladly execute you." - L. Craig Martindale "War Declared" from Waydale Docs - Adobe PDF format

Theme for the ROA “God’s Call To Abundance” 

This is the Rock of Ages that LCM announced he was suspending the WOW program because of homosexuality.

quote:

“During WOW training at the Rock we discovered a number of homosexuals preparing to go out with our WOW’s; all of these were hiding and covering their spiritual contamination and devilish practices. From reports since the Rock, we estimate that the homosexual infiltration in the group was as high as 10 percent..”

“Several months before the Rock of Ages ’94, the Father worked in and with us to expose homosexual spirits infiltrating our fellowships. We are continuing to root out these influences…”

(From the Way Magazine / November-December 1994, “Our Times Insight”, by L.Craig Martindale) 

This was also the year that all Corps who were married to non-Corps were dropped as well as those who were considered “unproductive” About 400 people were dropped at that time.

He addresses the debt problem in the Corps. Basically says get out of debt or get dropped. Waydale Documents letter (adobe.pdf file)

1995 – the new Foundational and Intermediate classes on The Way of Abundance and Power are recorded.

Theme for 1995 ROA – Living Sanctified. Outreach Group 1 of the Way Disciples were send to 14 cities in the US and one in Canada. Tom and Barbara Lally are the coordinators of the program.

That Rock of Ages was a class titled: “Living Sanctified”. It was not in the usual ROA format, but instead was like an Advanced Class format with teachings in the morning, household fellowships in the afternoon and another evening teaching. It is to be the last Rock of Ages.

This is time when the term “The Household” is used of the TWI faithful and the term “Family of God” is demeaned.

quote:

"Everyone who is born again is a member of the family of God, but only those who faithfully walk on the word are in the household of God. There are many blessings which abound to a household believer that are not available to someone who is in the family but not living God’s Word.”

“One of the great joys of being in the household is to appreciate the heart and ability with which our fellow believers operate the Word of God…..

On the other hand, we have no obligation to honor or respect family members who no longer stand with the household. Since they do not continue steadfastly in the apostles doctrine (Acts 2:42) they have forfeited the mutual respect and honor that could be theirs (Acts 2:43).”

“Honor in the Household: by Steve Longley, The Way Magazine/ Nov-Dec 1995 

This is also the year that he plants the seeds for the “Owe No Man Anything” teachings.

May 1995 – LCM announces that The Way Corps are to be made full time staff as of September 1, 1995

Some reasons: 

quote:

“Homosexuals basically run the federal government”

“The Pope desperately desires and craves the Roman Catholic domination fo the world by the year 2000.” 

(from "The Prevailing Word Report" - The Way Mag., Jan/Feb 1996) 

Anniversary 1996 – Donald E. Wierwille steps down and Rosalie F. Rivenbark is chosen to serve as the new VP.

On a personal note: In October 1995 I had to take LCM’s “new” Advanced PFAL Class or I would no longer be considered an Advanced Class Grad. It was there that I finally decided that TWI was never going to get better and I wanted out!

During that class, Howard Allen came to visit and tell the story of his miracle healing that took place in the early 70’s. After he told the story, he continued to say how thrilled he was with Reverand Martindale’s leadership, how LCM was “cleaning house” and “getting rid of the weakness in the household”. In concluding, he said, “…and I’m proud to say that today The Way is no longer an open door ministry!” The whole audience stood up and cheered. I was dumbstruck – couldn’t believe what I’d just heard. If I had my own transportation, I would have headed home that day. 

53rd Anniversary - October 1995 : it is announced that Donald E. Wierwille will step down and become the Vice President Emeritus in one year. Rosalie F. Rivenbark was chosen to serve as the new VP – the change will take place on the 54th Annversary in 1996.

At that time LCM announces that “the Father” had told him the Word was over the World!

I remember some kind of explanation about how there had been an opportunity to hear the accurate Word of God everywhere in the world and that now we had to "prevail". Would others please elaborate if you can.

1996: A big year with many new themes emphasized.

LCM begins his teachings on “the Remnant” and “Zion” – comparing the TWI “household” to the people of Israel in the OT. 

“The Prevailing Word” becomes even more of a catch phrase. Terms like “prevailing household” and “prevail with the power of God” start cropping up in Way Magazine articles and teachings.

quote:

“The Prevailing Word in the Promised Land of the Household, or Promised Land of the Prevailing Word in the Household--I guess either way would work. That's been the way it's jelled in my soul in defining our overall vision, our goal. Like for years we worked with the Word Over the World concept in our thoughts and hearts, and it helped us make our decisions and prioritize our lives, and as we move into Generation II of The Way International Ministry of Research, Teaching, and Fellowship, there has to be ways to focus our thoughts and define it, both culturally and in language that communicates, as well as Biblically and spiritually.”

L. Craig Martindale, from “Staff Meeting at TWI HQ on 04/14/1996”

from the Waydale Documents 

LCM also introduces the “standing in the gap” teachings – leaders are to stand in the gap between the adversary and the believers in the household. That pretty much eliminated Jesus Christ from the picture.

Discipleship is stressed. The theme announced at the 1996/1997 anniversary in October is “God’s Call To Discipleship”. Young people are urged to “go out Way Disciple” much like many of us were urged to "go out WOW". 

"The Present Truth" becomes a big deal. PFAL and VPW's teachings are "old wine skins". Main article in the November/December 1995 issue of The Way Magazine is titled: "God's Call to Discipleship: ESTABLISHED IN THE PRESENT TRUTH via the Way of Abundance and Power".

In other words - LCM's class is "the present truth".

(Note: also in this issue is an ad for the "Athletes of the Spirit" video. Hmmm - that was over 10 years old by then, could it still be the "present truth"?)

The cover of the Jan/Feb 1997 Way Magazine has a photo of the Word Over the World Auditorium - with that title still in place over the entrance way. Beneath the photo it says: The prevailing Word moves out to the world via The Way of Abundance and Power".

All the believers are encouraged to be "disciples", or achieve "discipleship" status. 

From the March/April 1997 Way Magazine: "God's Call to Discipleship: The Way of Abundance and Power" by LCM

quote:

"Disciples don't walk in the way of people who live on borrowed money and worship three gods and pay homage to homosexuality and speak of the dead as if they were alive. We travel the highway of the prevailing word." 

From another article titled "The Sweet Taste of Discipleship", by Brad Bailey -The Way Magazine, July/August 1997

quote:

Abiding in the present truth is the main ingredient and the ever-present action of a disciple who wants to get to, and stay in , the spiritual land of milk and honey." 

And in the “Our Times: Insight” article which is titled “Welcome to the Way Ministry, Second Generation” by LCM in the same issue he writes:

quote:

” As I stand here I feel very much the same way I did two years ago when I had the privilege of telling our people what the father had revealed to me regarding the Word being over the world – that it was accomplished.. I compare this moment also to the occasion in March of 1994 when I had the green light to announce to the household that I would be taping the Foundation and Intermediate Classes for our ministry, which eventually became known as The Way of Abundance and Power.

“I feel that what the Father has indicated to me this morning regarding where we are in our ministry, our position spiritually – the plateau we have reached is that this is where Dr. Victor Paul Wierwille wanted our ministry to be in October of 1982, when I was installed in his place as President. With all of his heart and soul he did all he could to have our ministry at a spot where we could cross over into the ‘promised land’ of the prevailing Word. Yet for many reasons, that did not happen in October of ’82….

“It’s fifteen years later than what our father in the Word wonted, but with all my understanding of the revelation God has given me, we are finally there. I believe we are right now at the brink , on the very verge of the actual experiential reality of the prevailing Word. And we are at the point of bring into functional reality the seventh section of the book of Acts.”

“…. So put it this way, it’s time to cross the Jordan. All aboard the Mystery train! IT’s time to walk over the bridge experientially to the prevailing Word. (he then reads a poem that Dr. Wierwille liked about the bridge builder).

“So, welcome to The Way Ministry, second generation. Welcome to The Way Ministry II..”

Even in it's hey day the way had about the same significance in the "big picture" as a moblile taco stand has on the entire food industry in LA. Just like that mobile taco stand's inability to offer every person in Los Angeles the opportunity to eat one of their tacos an insignificant number of the earth's population has never even heard of this organization...and thanks to the idiots in charge, never will.

EXACTLY........ :eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

An obscure franchise marketing campaign with mobile taco stands in LA.

Didn't attract a 1,000th of a percent in the mexican-style food industry in LA.

Nor did it attract a 100,000th of a percent in the fast food industry in LA.

And, those who like nice restaurants and fine dining in LA....never heard of it.

Like......little twig fellowships in LA is "Word over LA" -----> and "Word over the world"

:biglaugh:

Themex, about the numbers of the offshoots, the last I checked with the geerite one, he was eliminating his contracted authorized class instructors due to their not measuring up, and there were many fellowships with stagnant numbers.  The only ones that were doing well had a teen outreach or young twenty-somethings leading the way.  

Themex, about the numbers of the offshoots, the last I checked with the geerite one, he was eliminating his contracted authorized class instructors due to their not measuring up, and there were many fellowships with stagnant numbers.  The only ones that were doing well had a teen outreach or young twenty-somethings leading the way.  

.....due to THEIR not measuring up.

Translation from Cgeer's pov: It's THEIR fault.....they won't obey me.

Translation from "their" pov: It's a scam.............I ain't paying Cgeer any more "franchise fee."

:evildenk:

the rightly divided God´s Word was available to the ones that were hungry.

There is the crux of the matter and not only from TWI but other churches also.

The logic goes ---if you are really hungry for the truth you will find--in this case TWI--

If you push the question such as "But if they have never heard of Jesus Christ in the wilds of Borneo (an example ) how can they go looking for him"

The response is "God would show them about Christ if they really wanted to know the truth"

The illogic of this staggers the mind

All it is intended to do, for any denomination of religion of this mindset, is to absolve the members and leadership for being responsible to preach the gospel and good news of Jesus Christ to their friends, neighbors, and communities

Rather like saying a person got salmonella because he bought food at store A, instead of placing the blame on the persons who incorrectly processed the food. It shifts blame from the responsible to the innocent

This methodology soothes the conscience of every one who is doing less than they could in spreading the good news of Jesus Christ irrespective of denomination

Edited by templelady

Word over the world completed?....what an idiot!

"Word over the world" was the carrot on the stick...Lcm not only did away with the wow program, the roa and the pfal class...but he also took away the GOAL!...what a moron....talk about killing the cash cow...

But why he did that, he was mad, crazy?

During one Rock, I think it was the last one 1995 he showed how many PFAL they have play. So TWI recovering from the exodus of the fog years.

Why he pressured every one to move the word, put the way corps full time, for nothing?

Why he fired the homos?

I think he really thought that he could coerce, intimidate and otherwise shake down "believers" for the revenue lost by abandoning roa, wow, etc.

same revenue, far less strategic planning, far less- WORK. Put the corps full time, turn them into "motivators" and meddlers with their noses in every crevice of people's lives.. sex, kids, MONEY..

and no roa.. well, the roa represented a HUGE amount of money- discretionary income for most- spent in food, gas, (a few) hotel rooms, plane tickets, in short nothing less than a FORTUNE spent outside of "da ministry" just to GET THERE..

I think it was greed.. pure and simple.. cut overhead, tent rental fees.. I bet the big top rent wasn't CHEAP.. and put the squeeze harder on the people who had discretionary income so as to be able to even attend a roa..

people could subsequently have more time "on the field" WORKING.. more money, multiplied by 0.15, 0.2.. to arrive at hq by shovel loads..

and no roa.. well, the roa represented a HUGE amount of money- discretionary income for most- spent in food, gas, (a few) hotel rooms, plane tickets, in short nothing less than a FORTUNE spent outside of "da ministry" just to GET THERE..

I think it was greed.. pure and simple.. cut overhead, tent rental fees.. I bet the big top rent wasn't CHEAP.. and put the squeeze harder on the people who had discretionary income so as to be able to even attend a roa..

people could subsequently have more time "on the field" WORKING.. more money, multiplied by 0.15, 0.2.. to arrive at hq by shovel loads..

It was reported here that lcm was so clueless, he thought people would be lining up to take his wap class.

So, the idea behind "full-time ministers" was a full-time SALES FORCE for wap, with the idea that

this would bring in lots of students and new wayfers.

Of course, this failed miserably, and just resulted in having to pay a full-time sales force.

Right after that came a purge of some of the full-time ministers. Coincidence? Doubtful.

It was reported here that lcm was so clueless, he thought people would be lining up to take his wap class.

So, the idea behind "full-time ministers" was a full-time SALES FORCE for wap, with the idea that

this would bring in lots of students and new wayfers.

Of course, this failed miserably, and just resulted in having to pay a full-time sales force.

Right after that came a purge of some of the full-time ministers. Coincidence? Doubtful.

Maybe he thought they were homos <_<

Maybe he thought they were homos <_<

I honestly don't know how he kept all his purges straight in his head! Let's see there was:

1) Financial purge (aimed mostly at state/area leadership and upper echelon corps)

2) Way Corps purge (masking his stupid decision to put everyone on full-time status)

3) Homo purge (based on his own phobias and fears)

4) More financial purge (all believers this time -- hoping to gather enough money to cover the full-time corps debacle)

5) Commitment purge (used to root out those who weren't giving enough time or $$ to twi)

I'm sure there were probably more, they just eventually blended into one big "Do exactly as we tell you or you are gone!" purge for me...

I honestly don't know how he kept all his purges straight in his head! Let's see there was:

1) Financial purge (aimed mostly at state/area leadership and upper echelon corps)

2) Way Corps purge (masking his stupid decision to put everyone on full-time status)

3) Homo purge (based on his own phobias and fears)

4) More financial purge (all believers this time -- hoping to gather enough money to cover the full-time corps debacle)

5) Commitment purge (used to root out those who weren't giving enough time or $$ to twi)

I'm sure there were probably more, they just eventually blended into one big "Do exactly as we tell you or you are gone!" purge for me...

"First they came for the Jews

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left

to speak out for me."

- Hans Niemoller (translated)

"First they came for the Jews

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left

to speak out for me."

- Hans Niemoller (translated)

Does this apply to twi?

At the end of my time in twt,It got so baad,They,leaders would listen to what you had to say and use it against you.If you even contradicted what they said,they threw a sh@t fit.Yeah the word was over the world,the masses would come to you,We were supposed to perfect ourselves.

Like a top ranked military team.The only thing rank was twi.

Lcm said God talked to him audibly the word was over the world....,

Maybe that was wrong with twi,to many leaders hearing voices....

There is one time I know for sure LCM was on meds - they were afraid he was going to hurt himself, that was when POP was read and that all came out at the rock. I've heard there were a couple of other times.

I was not around for TWI II - it sounds like LCM was absolutely totally off his rocker, with images of self-delusion regarding how great he was. He was a prophet (in his mind), he was Joshua the 2nd. He once told the AOS crew he wasn't Jesus Christ - yet. That one really made me decide, thank God I'm not on staff anymore. It was shortly after that I left TWI.

But, when he announced the Word was over the World - to me that was a "cop-out" so to speak. It was an admission of failure - TWI had nothing to offer anyone now - it was now time to close ranks, which is what happened.