GreaseSpot Cafe

The Shack

Twinky

The book "The Shack" seems to be getting a lot of publicity in Christian circles. Everyone seems to be talking about it.

I've recently borrowed a copy and have finished reading it.

If one can overcome the strong Trinitarian bias, there are some interesting things to think about. Philosophically, as it were. About why Bad Things Happen, Forgiveness, Rules, Restrictions, God's love for everyone, and concepts of Good and Evil.

Just wondered if any of you Cafe patrons have read it, and what you think. Did you enjoy it? Did it show you anything new?

The book "The Shack" seems to be getting a lot of publicity in Christian circles. Everyone seems to be talking about it.

I've recently borrowed a copy and have finished reading it.

If one can overcome the strong Trinitarian bias, there are some interesting things to think about. Philosophically, as it were. About why Bad Things Happen, Forgiveness, Rules, Restrictions, God's love for everyone, and concepts of Good and Evil.

Just wondered if any of you Cafe patrons have read it, and what you think. Did you enjoy it? Did it show you anything new?

I liked the book.and believe God can teach us in dreams and in books, also suffering,life, death etc..I liked the whole

book.

Edited by cheranne

Loving the book. Bowtwi sent me a copy, then I sent my daughter a copy, it's really good.

I love that he was willing to peek at the invitation and even though his first visit back was at first traumatic, then very strange, the point, for me at least, is that he went.

Courage in such a time of grief.

I enjoyed it. Can't say I agreed with all of it, but really enjoyed reading it and seeing things from the author's point of view. I loved the way Papa showed that his foremost desire was an intimate relationship with each of his children and how readily approachable He is to each of us. It was a good read.

PurpleDays

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like it. It gave me the creeps.

Thought it weighed too much on the loosy-goosy "forgiveness" aspect of God, without the accountability for ones actions.

I don't think that "standing approved unto God" only involves correct "rendering" of the scriptures, for without living the truths of them, there is no understanding, no walk with the Holy Spirit.

Grace as I see it gives the strength to do what is right, no the license to sin or lack of accountability. I believe we will all stand before God and give account of our lives as they were lived, our actions. Some of which will stand the test of fire, and some wont.

Also I found the metaphors repulsive and not relatable to the Bible, to testing, which is the mark of the nobility of the Bereans (acts 17:11). The more I walk with the Holy Spirit,the more lovely He shows me as His view of the world.

Thank goodness I can still have an opinion in this placae.

Kit

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, just picking up on this thread again.

I don't think I particularly liked the book.

It's now some months since I read it, and it's not very memorable. Maybe I should re-read it.

On the other hand, I read "Left Behind" (only the first one, Iunderstand there are quite a number of them) and that was memorable.

I read it too. I liked parts of it and absolutely hated other parts of it.

What I liked best was the freedom to think outside the box without condemnation.

I also really liked the conversations it stirred up in my life. One day I was reading it in a hospital waiting room while I waited for a friend to have day surgery. The surgeon came out to tell me my friend's surgery went well and saw the book in my hand. He asked my opinion of it, said that he had just read it and hadn't decided yet if he'd liked it or not, but he was glad to have read it and thought it inspired him to think outside the box of what his established beliefs were.