GreaseSpot Cafe

After Facing Cancer

TOMMYZ

Actually, Leafy, those were my tests. So I've gone one year out of five. Dad's doing o.k. too.

:redface: Oooppppsssss! well I am glad you are doing okay too. I guess I was remembering when my Mom went through it and how every clear test was a blessing! I am glad you got one more clear test!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Another six month checkup and the tests came back clean. Yeah ! Dad's doing fine too. 84 years old and he's out riding his motorcycle.

Tommy, this is awesome!!

I am currently taking care of a friend overcoming the devastation chemo and radiation has taken on her body. She's on oxygen and a feeding tube - unable to swallow but a half-teaspoon of water without aspirating - and wondering if this is as good as it gets.

Your story is encouraging and inspiring. :)

I am so happy for you!!

Belle, I'll be praying for your friend. I have a friend in our church who's being treated for breast cancer. She went through chemo and it really freaked me to see her looking as pale as my brother in law looked right before he died. She's done with the chemo and is clear but she's just started going through radiation to be totally safe.

I feel the good thing when I bring this topic up is that it's giving people a chance to talk who are dealing with this either themselves or with friends.

• 5 months later...

OK, so yesterday I saw the dermatologist and he said that since I've been clean so far I don't have to see him for another year, instead of six months. I'm still waiting for the blood test and x-ray results but I don't expect any surprises. I'm glad that I get to bring this thread up one last time with good news before this place closes.

OK, so yesterday I saw the dermatologist and he said that since I've been clean so far I don't have to see him for another year, instead of six months. I'm still waiting for the blood test and x-ray results but I don't expect any surprises. I'm glad that I get to bring this thread up one last time with good news before this place closes.

I'm glad too - thanks for the update!

Just found out the blood test and chest x-ray came back clean.

AWESOME, TOMMY! Just awesome!!!!

I lost my friend late last year and so appreciate the support, prayers and insight from you in how to help her and deal with the insidiousness of cancer.

(((((Tommy)))))

Belle, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Thanks, it was the first time as an adult I lost someone that extremely close to me- I realize that makes me pretty darn lucky. Thanks to you and her I've learned so much and appreciate life, the battle and every day. You were more support that you realized through the whole ordeal and after, even though I didn't contact you when she died. Your words of wisdom and personal strength touched me deeply than you can know. :knuddel:

• 2 years later...

Really good news, Tommy.

This is such an interesting thread, and so relevant. There probably isn't a adult on the planet, or at least the developed world, who hasn't known someone who's suffered. The more it's talked about and the more people know, the more likely they are to take prompt action about those strange marks or lumps. And the sooner the action, the better the outcome.

And every day is a day to be thankful. Rejoice in the Lord today.

Put me down as survivor .. twice. The first time was in 2004 after I had my uterus removed after it became tilted, a side effect from my Crohn's Disease. Pathology let my OB/GYN know post surgery that they found pre-cancerous cells on the cervix, but I didn't need to worry since that was removed with the uterus obviously. I wasn't too shocked hearing that news, since most of the women in my bloodline have had hysterectomies for cancer. I think I'm the only one who didn't have one for that reason .. me, ever being the oddball. LOL.

Then this past June I had to have my Thyroid removed for Grave's Disease/Hyperthyroidism. Again, we didn't think too much of it, I'd dealt with the crap for 2 years and the doc gave me a choice, have it removed or stay on the meds for it. Well, the meds weren't working well and the side effects of the hyperthyroidism weren't kind to me .. to the point my personality totally changed and I became a person I didn't know and whom I didn't like. The easy going lady was replaced by a *itch, from hell to put it nicely .. and trust me that IS the nicest thing I could say about the way I was. As soon as the surgery was done and my hormones went back to normal ranges, I got myself and my peace back. I'd missed it. Then I went to the post surgery checkup and my surgeon told me that pathology had found the cancerous tumor in the right side of the thyroid when they did the exam on it. I'm really starting to hate those guys in pathology. Hahaha.

The good news is since the tumor was intact and my surgeon removed the Thyroid all in one piece, it was totally removed. I was considered 'cured' right away since it was totally gone and they felt no further treatment was needed. To say I'm thankful after reading thru this thread would be a huge understatement. My heart goes out to each and every one of you whom posted here. Cancer is a horrible thing and if I had my way, no one would ever get it again.

Good one(s), BB. Two near misses. Who knows how long it would have been if these hadn't been found when they had - and how bad it could have got for you. Unpleasant procedures that you had, though.

Thanks guys! You are correct in that they weren't pleasant to go thru Twinky. It does have a humorous side though .. I lost a little over a foot of my small bowel back in 1999 and I ended up getting put with the most wonderful surgeon named Dr. Shamos. He's originally from South Africa, so has a really nice british accent when he talks that I just love listening to. I could talk to him all day! He made that horribly painful experience much easier to deal with via the love and care he showed to me. He came and saw me more than any other doctors ever have. Fast forward to 2011 or 12 (I forget exactly) and I got new pain in my gut, but it wasn't the Crohn's Disease .. it was gallbladder. I was totally full of stones and infected! There was nothing that could be done but to remove my gallbladder. The question was, who would do the surgery and would the doctor do it the old fashioned cut you totally open method that is considered the most painful surgery there is, or would he opt for trying to get it out via belly button surgery and just a few holes in my belly.

Enter Doc Shamos to my rescue! LOL, no kidding. I got the same surgeon all these years later and he was just at wonderful today as he was back then. He and I had a great time catching up on our lives as he visited me during my five day hospital stay. He did manage to get that darn gallbladder out via my belly button, but it took some persuasion as he put it, which meant he had one hell of a time getting it out, but worked at it until he did because he didn't want to have to cut me open badly. I didn't mind being bruised up a bit around the holes where he took it out at. That was so much less painful than being cut open across my entire belly would have been. I never want to go thru that again if I don't have to. Once for the gut surgery was plenty thank you. Heh.

OK now we are at this past year in June when I'm at my Thyroid doc's office and she's telling me I could have it removed and I said that is what I wanted. I then asked if I could use my own surgeon and she said 'well, the hospital has certain ones that normally work here' and I said 'yes, like Doc Shamos?' and she goes 'Ohhhhhh, you know Doctor Shamos? He's the best!' I told her 'I know he's the best and that's why I'd want him as my surgeon once again.' She arranged it and for the 3rd time Doc Shamos was removing body parts from me and he got rid of the Thyroid and it's tumor. When I saw him at my post op visit I told him I was starting to run out of available body parts to donate to his cause and I may need to find other reasons to come see him, LOL. He laughed and said maybe I'd get lucky and never see him again ... I told him I thought I never would after the *first* surgery but after three I was beginning to consider moving into his office. Hehe.