GreaseSpot Cafe

Why were we vulnerable?

rascal

I doubt that many of us were thinking that far into the future.

there's a whole 'nother subject.

They were thinking about the future I'm sure. They were thinking about the bema, the gathering, eternal rewards, beating up unbelievers in their new resurrected bodies. . .

but that's a different subject.

(sorry Tzaia, I guess we were thinking the same thing)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's a whole 'nother subject.

They were thinking about the future I'm sure. They were thinking about the bema, the gathering, eternal rewards, beating up unbelievers in their new resurrected bodies. . .

but that's a different subject.

(sorry Tzaia, I guess we were thinking the same thing)

Mr. B.

Most of us in the early days were not thinking like that, aside from the hope of the gathering together.

The emphasis on rewards at the bema, etc. came a bit later. We knew about rewards, of course, but it was not a driving motivation. I never heard that part about beating up unbelievers.

Bol, the youngsters that were born into this...yes they suffered..some grievously.....some had horrible crimes committed against them......but they were at least allowed to be born.

There were a lot of people that were talked into believing that children were a distraction from *doing the word* that to drop out of a program was to break a vow to God.

There were an awful lot of babies aborted by women who felt they had no choice. So I`d have to say that no we didn`t give much thought to the future or the children.

We thought we had a greater mission. We thought that we stood approved before God....that these were his requirements.

Do you know that wierwille once said that if the country ever went under, if they were coming for us...if it came down to it....between us n the kids, leave em, run for the hills, hide, because we had the word....we needed to save ourselves so that we could pass it on(in a nut shell)

Yes that was insane...it was brainwashing at it`s finest....most of us snapped out of it once we left and were again surrounded by normal people, when our families took us back, when we became a part of our communities.

Isolation was a huge part of why we were so vulnerable to their teachings.

I know that as a parent, as a mature adult, now 2 decades after the fact, what was taught was insane.....It doesn`t excuse what happened, it just explains it.

I never hard about beating up unbelievers and rewards were never a driving force with us either. It seemed like we were concerned with just winning the spiritual battle, striking a blow against satan and darkness...It was never about hurting people.

Edited by rascal

. . .

Part of the question asked was why are we fingerpointing and whining about it now?

I think that I am just so offended at what was taken from us in God`s name, what was stolen using scriptures as their justification, what many of us eventually DID under the guise of service to God....it is sickening to me.

We allowed indignities that we would never tolerate from any other person....because we were taught that God required this of us.

These guys took what they pleased, without compunction.

How did we get from idealistic teens on a mission to change the world...to pathetic automatons, being exploited for whatever we had of value?

wouldn't lcm be included in this group (the idealistic youngster)? He fell for it all too, obeying with all he had, and was eventually set at the top? would he be a different person had he not run into twi?

. . .

I never hard about beating up unbelievers and rewards were never a driving force with us either. It seemed like we were concerned with just winning the spiritual battle, striking a blow against satan and darkness...It was never about hurting people.

The adversary got dropkicked and shotput to the moon damned near everyday by god himself

• 3 weeks later...