GreaseSpot Cafe

Hey Mom

kimberly

Years ago, I was watching a NFL football game. They had a guest announcer who was a retired famous coach. I forget who it was. As they were talking about the game the cameras scanned the sidelines and several players said, "Hey mom. Hey mom, we're number one, etc." The regular announcer asked the famous coach, "why is it when players know the camera is on them they always talk to their mother?" The retired coach said, "Because when you hit a home run or score a touch down dad is the one cheering you on. But when you ride the bench the entire game it is Mom that cheers you on." I have never forgotten that.

And boy, oh boy, oh boy did I learn that all over again tonight. The boy had a doubleheader baseball scrimmage tonight against another highschool team. I knew the weather forecast. I took several layers to keep warm. The wind was cutting.

The wind chill was 32 degrees.

The second inning of the double my friend and I looked around and noticed that the mothers (except my oldest son) were the only ones in the stands. The men were in the heated storage room watching the game. We moms talked about unconditional love. We start out baseball season nearly freezing to death, then being blown away with the cold wet rainy wind, then frying in the heat, and ending up in November nearly freezing again. That is the way it is if your boy plays travel ball.

But I gotta tell ya, everytime my boy walked to that plate he glimpsed to make sure big brother and I were looking. He would make a spectacular catch behind the plate and would sneak a peek to make sure we saw it.....just like his two older brothers did when they played baseball. To me that is about as precious as it gets......"Hey mom watch this...did you see that?"

I just read what I originally posted. Geez, I sounded goofy and kind of rambled on.

I was so excited about highschool baseball season starting, watching my boy play ball and just being at a real live baseball game, giddiness took me over.

Hallelujah, baseball is alive and well!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree about Moms and sports. Two days ago, when our star basktball player got flipped by an unscrupulous Morgan State player, our guy just shook it off. The Morgan State player was ejected from the game. Our guy's older brother, also on the team, got back by scoring more points. But it was their MOM, in the stands, who really had to be calmed down. She was steamed.

By the way, here's the flip:

Edited by notinKansasanymore

I have to agree about Moms and sports. Two days ago, when our star basktball player got flipped by an unscrupulous Morgan State player, our guy just shook it off. The Morgan State player was ejected from the game. Our guy's older brother, also on the team, got back by scoring more points. But it was their MOM, in the stands, who really had to be calmed down. She was steamed.

By the way, here's the flip:

No question that flip was intentional. Mom was understandably upset.

• 2 months later...

We are in the midst of summer ball with the highschool. 21 games in 18 days. Monday, the boy was at the school for weight training 9 am to 11 am. Home for lunch and a quick rest. Then back at the school at 2 pm. We traveled to the next state for a double header. Back home for him to play with his Rec team at 9 pm. We got home around 11:30 pm. Again, he said, "I got to play baseball all day long. It doesn't get any better than this."

Oh, man... do I know that routine, Kimberly.

Saturday, my oldest boy had his last game and then the spring sports awards afterwards. Of course the game was an away game so the Mommy Taxi had to shuttle him around. Then it was a b-day party afterwards - the kid was on the run for 8 hours that day. I was beat by the time it was over. But he was happy and tired by the end of the day. It was all worth it.

(There's a pic of my oldest on the "baseball - the talking sport" thread that I just posted if you wanna see my little slugger.)

On the flip side, I also see the moms that are the "stage moms" at games - yelling at their kid's coach or at the kid. I've seen moms asked not to attend their kids' games because they're so obnoxious. I wouldn't have the guts to be like that - even when I don't agree with a call - I just keep it to myself.... the calls may not always be fair but sometimes life isn't fair, ya know?

My youngest will be old enough next spring to play pee-wee t-ball - I can't wait! Love it!

• 3 weeks later...

mstar1, naaah, mom doesn't get to drive him around all the time. As a matter of fact I miss quite a few games because of work. We have an awesome network of parents helping each other out.

ChasUFarley, I am so jealous that you get to do it all over again with one so little. I look at my boys t-ball pictures and wonder where did the years go.

The boy is off this Sunday to Jack Leggett's baseball camp at Clemson University. He has been there before. I was quite taken as was my two older boys. The boy has also been to Cal Ripkin Jr.'s camp. I was equally impressed.

The goal here is college scholarship.

• 3 months later...

Now the boy is in the midst of highschool football. He is the long snapper (no wonder, the catcher on the baseball team) and plays defensive something. Anyway, he won defensive player of the week last week because of his blocking. He plays jv Thursday nights and varsity Friday nights.

This kid is 5'9" and weighs 150 lbs. He is fearless. I look at him up against those really, really big boys and shake my head. Only 4 more games and then time to get ready for baseball!

• 3 weeks later...

Ya'll remember your high school days? I just want to let you know the song Horse is still played!!!! I heard it last night and it brought back many high school memories.

The kids were dancing just like we did...excepting our dance was a little different back then....

The boy's junior year football season is over. They did not make the playoffs. He is a bit somber. Hard to lose the last home game. Can't believe the season is over already.

He signaled for a fair catch at a kick off return. Just as he caught the ball he was hammered by several guys. He said they hit him so hard the chin guard and mouth piece was knocked loose. He told me this as we sat at dinner and he was complaining about his mouth and jaw hurting. I immediately said, Let me look at those teeth. (His braces are about to come off) As much money as I have spent nothing can happen to those teeth!!!

When he was 6 years old he walked up behind a girl (his guy friend still teases him that it was a GIRL and it was his sister!!) swinging a bat and he was smacked right in his mouth. When his permanent teeth came in right where he was smacked they were recessed. The older he got the more the teeth moved to the back of his mouth.

Off to the orthodontist Monday for a round of x-rays.

• 3 weeks later...

Received notice from Jack Leggett Baseball about winter weekend camp for highschoolers. $275.00 for Friday night meeting, Saturday and Sunday practice and skills training. No accomodations, no transportation to and from, no meals provided. I said heck no.

Since varsity football season was less than stellar, they now have to be in gym and dressed by 6:30 am twice a week for agility training. He has weight training last period and baseball practice started last week. Right now, all they are doing is running. I told him he would not have to worry about that little pudge he gets in late winter. He told me the other week his last 2 years of highschool baseball really have to count.

I think he has enough to do already in order to keep up his grades. He knows mama will snatch his butt out of something if the grades aren't there.

• 2 months later...

Keep posting this stuff so if in old age memory tries the vanishing act I can always look on here. Guffaw!!!

The first baseball scrimmage was snowed out today!!! That's a first. Told the boy, this year I am getting some long underwear for the games. High school season starts this coming Saturday.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

My son was in the band. I was so thankful he wasn't down on the field getting beat up. But I attended every game and Holy Spirit showed me there were many of the kids with no one to pray for them. So I did. So sad to think of a kid with no one to cheer them on. But I was there, and also was appropriately amazed as they ordered (and ate!) those chili cheeze nachos that looked so un-eatable. I am so thankful for everyone who prays for these kids. They try so hard. If only they knew the Good Lord who loves them so.