GreaseSpot Cafe

When did you leave twi?

Bolshevik

What year did you leave twi?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. When did you finally leave twi proper?

• Before 1970
    • 1970-1975
    • 1976-1979
    • 1980-1981
    • 1982-1983
    • 1984-1985
    • 1986-1987
    • 1988-1989
    • 1990-1991
    • 1992-1993
    • 1994-1995
    • 1996-1997
    • 1998-1999
    • 2000-2001
    • 2002-2003
    • 2004-2005
    • 2006-2007
    • 2008-2009, and beyond
    • Still enjoying the ride . . .
    • I'll get around to leaving . . .
  2. 2. Under what conditions did you "leave"?

• I was booted, M&A'd
    • I was "in" and "out" for awhile, my choice
    • I was given ultimatums, tried to appease them, but gave up
    • I took a good period of time to see if this was what I wanted, and it became clear
    • I left suddenly, a quick and easy decision
    • I left suddenly, a hard decision
    • I left the "day" I turned 18
    • got lost on the way to twig, stopped at a bar for directions, been there ever since
    • I was never really "in"
    • spouse left, so I did
    • parents left, so I did
    • family/friends pressured me to leave
    • I traded twi for CES/CFF/spinoff
    • I left twi like I leave anything else, no hard feelings
    • my kids pressured me to leave
    • I went on a trip, came back, all the fellowships were gone?
    • I went to school/started a carreer/family and twi just kinda faded into the background
    • Other
    • I did something stupid, and was ashamed to ever go back
    • A professional was hired to help me leave
  3. 3. The Guppy Sign

• looks like a guppy
    • looks like a molly
    • looks like a goldfish
    • who the hell called it a "guppy" sign first?
    • looks like my gerbil/hamster
    • what guppy sign?
    • Other

It IS kinda interesting how your stats group up in the responses. I wouldn't be surprised if your polls are giving a lot more accurate picture of WayWorld than you seem to think. I know people who study this sorta thing claim that it doesn't take a whole lot of numbers to get reliable data, if the sample is random enough...

As of this post, the year 1988-1989 has a plurality of 37.5% in the poll -- way above any other years -- which sounds about right to me.

According to my recollections (factoring in that the mind is the first thing to go), that was the year of the Big Purge. First, among the Way Tree and on-the-field Staff full-timers. I think it was, what? A 90% turnover on the Limb level? Something like that. Then, with LCM's "tell me whether you stand with me or not" letter, the purge was extended throughout the entire Corps.

Jeez Louise, for me and just about everyone in the Corps that I was associated with here, that one was a no-brainer. I say this in all good conscience: NEVER in my entire association with the Way Ministry, was my primary, secondary, or even tertiary loyalty to men. And I was hardly the Lone Ranger, as hinted by these poll results even now.

The Corps that I knew here, for whom answering that letter wasn't a no-brainer -- well, suffice to say, it took some deft footwork to avoid a couple of knives in the back, figuratively speaking. Excuse my French, but they shoved their noses so far up the Trustees' arses that they had to sneeze to get a glimpse of daylight. I was appalled, and told them so in no uncertain terms.

I'll always be thankful to the leadership here in San Antonio, which extended outward to the entire South Central Region (Texas and Louisiana) between the summer of '84 to the end of '88 (how? within such a corrupt system? by manifestation of believing, Bubba), for keeping us informed. Heck, we went through the whole "Athletes" sham when that sucker came out. (I hesitate to mention his name, in that we've had a falling-out. But it's spelled "Britt Lynn." If you ever read this, thank you, thank you, thank you, my good friend.)

After the balloon went up in '86, it was horrific, month after month, to hear news from places where the cover-up was in high gear. (Or should I say Geer.)

• 11 years later...
2 hours ago, penguin2 said:

I know it's ancient post but I thought it was interesting.

Most of you were leaving as I was diving in deep and it took me twenty years to come up for air.

Hi Penguin 2, 

in the grand scam of things - it's been the same old bull$hit the whole time - the important thing is that you left !

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

I left twice. In 1982 I got married without the "blessing" of "leadership" with the added bonus of having failed to secure enough Corps sponsorship to get accepted into the 13th Corps. I got into a few arguments with the Limb Leader over various things and stopped going to Way functions. However, in my heart and mind I still believed it all and just chalked up the problems to bad leadership. 

Around 1990 my wife and I started considering going back. We were unaware of the turmoil that had been occurring. My oldest step son was about the right age for PFAL so we signed him up and started, little by little, to get involved again. We were pretty involved, even were Twig Leaders for a few years. 

After Martindale's demotion I started following WayDale and later Grease Spot Cafe and became very skeptical about what was being taught. I was also becoming vocal about expressing my skepticism around leadership. Eventually they figured out who I was on Grease Spot and kicked me out. That was November 2001. 

20 year anniversary coming up!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Oakspear said:

I left twice. In 1982 I got married without the "blessing" of "leadership" with the added bonus of having failed to secure enough Corps sponsorship to get accepted into the 13th Corps. I got into a few arguments with the Limb Leader over various things and stopped going to Way functions. However, in my heart and mind I still believed it all and just chalked up the problems to bad leadership. 

Around 1990 my wife and I started considering going back. We were unaware of the turmoil that had been occurring. My oldest step son was about the right age for PFAL so we signed him up and started, little by little, to get involved again. We were pretty involved, even were Twig Leaders for a few years. 

After Martindale's demotion I started following WayDale and later Grease Spot Cafe and became very skeptical about what was being taught. I was also becoming vocal about expressing my skepticism around leadership. Eventually they figured out who I was on Grease Spot and kicked me out. That was November 2001

20 year anniversary coming up!

With you mentioning that you and your wife were considering going back and then later getting the boot in 2001 – for some reason that made me think of a quote from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey

HAL 9000: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

• Upvote 1