GreaseSpot Cafe

GreaseSpot Cafe

pawtucket

I promised last year to continue the forums until the 9th Anniversary. Well we are upon that time this month. I would like to go back to that time and fill you in on some details.

For the past few years, I was beginning to have some health problems. They were all related to weight. I was obese, clinically I was morbidly obese. When I started Greasespot, I wore 2X shirts. By this time last year, I was getting ready to start wearing 5X. Common daily tasks were getting harder and harder to do. I was becoming more and more reclusive. Things were not at a good point for me.

I wanted to get rid of things that held me back. Greasespot, in my mind, was one of them. I was not thinking about it's purpose and reason for being. I was very short tempered about everything.

About that same time, I went to a seminar on obesity that was sponsored by a local hospital, at the urging of my family. I was sick of diets. I could never seem to ever get close to or below 300 lbs. I was sick and tired. I went to the seminar. It was broken up into 3 parts. One was the gastro-bypass. Second was this Nazi exercise program that included taking your television out of your house and the third was a diet. The seminar included dinner, which was the selling point for me.

I knew a lady that did the bypass thing and she had gained the weight back. And the thought of this leash on my stomach was creepy. The exercise Nazis brought back nasty thoughts of a Way Home with 5 am wake up calls, 50 lb sacks of oatmeal and blackstrap molasses. And the diet, well been there done that. I would have left after the dinner, except some family came with me. And we got a free water bottle to boot. Well I was tolerating the gastro stuff as I ate some "healthy" potato chips. During the Nazi exercise program, I had the half of the wrap that my sister couldn't finish. Then a doctor came up to talk about this diet. The figures he was throwing out were staggering 70, 80, 150 lb weight loss in six months. I stopped eating and listened, truth be told the food was finished save one dill pickle.

He laid out statistics, realistic ones. It wasn't perfect, only one third didn't gain the weight back. Better than the Nazi exercise and the gastro noose around one's tummy. He had my attention. The diet was medically supervised with weekly weigh-ins and doctor visits. Most of it covered by some medical insurances. He said for those that were morbidly obese, me, there was a full fast which was all liquid. I was familiar with liquid diets back in my drinking days, but this was different. I was reading the handouts, but it didn't have alot of detail. He said that there were info sessions in the next few weeks and gave a number to call if you were interested in it. It was the first time in about a year that I had much interest in anything. Fat isn't fun.

The next morning I was on the phone and left a message. I drove myself and them crazy. I looked around their site until I could talk to a live person. I made an appointment at the earliest possible date, which was about 6 weeks away. I figured I could start that week, but no it would be six weeks to get the details and then another 6 weeks until they would schedule a psych exam and physical. I was excited for the first time in a long time. I got to the meeting close to the end of May. Then the numbers came out. It was very expensive, very expensive. While insurance covered the medical end, the liquid shakes were over $20 a box and you needed 6 a week. I did some number crunching and it was tight.

I should mention that around Christmas the previous year, I decided to start smoking after a 15 year break. When life is collapsing around you, smoke. Well that was costing about $200 a month.

So I decided while waiting for the start date of the program, I would quit smoking. I needed the money more than the smokes and I had only been smoking about 5 months. And my family said they would help when necessary. So I finally got an appointment for the physical and psych evaluation. July 1st. So I set a date of June 15th for quitting smoking. And from June 16th through the 1st of July I visited all my favorite food places; and ordered my favorite pizzas from the local shops.

All went well. I went through the psych eval and physical on the afternoon of July 1st. I asked the Doctor when I could start. He said whenever you want. Tomorrow? He said I would have to go to at least one group meeting to get a feel before starting. I asked if there was one that evening. He said if you want, yes, but you been here all afternoon. I wanted this to start. So that afternoon, I bought my first week's worth of mixes, two chocolate, two strawberry and two vanilla. I went to the meeting that night. On the way home, I stopped at Burger King to get their Big Angus Texas whosamadinker burger with fries and a diet coke to balance the calories.

The next morning, I began. The first week is losing a lot of water weight. I lost 24 lbs. I was able to bring my leg up to my knee to tie my shoes comfortably. I began a program that I continue to do to this day. Up until January, my weight loss was an average of a half lb. a day. I hit the 130 lb. mark last week. I have lost about 20 inches from my waist and I no longer welcome at the Big and Tall store. My divorce with Domino's was finalized a few months ago. At the end of November, I ate for the first time as I went to one meal a day. With the shakes and meal, I maintain an 800-1000 calorie a day diet. I finally started exercising. And I keep a diary of everything that I eat and drink. And, although a bit snug, I can fit into a Large shirt with no X multipliers next to it.

I broke the 300 lb mark that I hadn't been able to in about a decade. In the next month or so, I will break the 200 lb mark, a place I haven't been in decades. I can go into the ocean without fear of causing a Tsunami. And jump without the Richter scale going off.

That is where I was a year ago. The moderators, who never get enough thanks, have helped tremendously over the past year. There would be no forum without them. And the reason that they stay anonymous is so that they can post normally. I tried the model of them being known and certain people drove them away. So they are anonymous for a reason.

So what about today? Well, this site still serves a vital service. And should continue to do so. The mission hasn't changed and it is much more than just me. I knew that when I started. So let's continue. I am much healthier than I was a year ago. My frame of mind is better set.

Thanks for reading.

There will be some interviews coming up soon.

Michael

Edited by pawtucket

Paw, that's tremendous. There's obviously only a fraction of you left compared with the "man you used to be" - but what a fraction! Your post makes it so evident that you have more joie de vivre.

Congratulations on doing so very well at losing all that weight.

Next thing will be to keep it off.

And thanks to the mods, busboys, washer-uppers, etc, who share the work at the Cafe.

So what about today? Well, this site still serves a vital service. And should continue to do so. The mission hasn't changed and it is much more than just me. I knew that when I started. So let's continue. I am much healthier than I was a year ago. My frame of mind is better set.

Thanks for reading.

There will be some interviews coming up soon.

Michael

Paw.......words fall short in conveying how thankful I am for all that you've done, as well as the moderators. This site has been instrumental and life-changing for many thru the years. Thanks.

Good to hear your news.

Well you all know how I feel about Grease spot.. I am incredibly thankful it is here... Without it I would not have learned all I know about the ministry... I would not have found some freedom from some of the strangle hold doctrine and teachings from the ministry. I have come to understand my Husband more. And I have learned that my stay would have only been a bit longer if we had not left when we did, and if we had stayed we might have lost each other.

Paw congratulations on the weight loss. You are amazing. Thank you for the Site. I am glad you kept it open.

TO the Mods thanks for all you do.

I found GS a month after it appeared on the web nine years ago after doing many searches for TWI info. over the years.

My name changed three times here in the past nine years, the "unholy trinity" lol.

A few years ago there was a lot of tension here and I was part of it but all was resolved and I wish it had never happened.

Thanks for opening GS and keeping it running and putting up with a lot of BS.

I haven't been around much in the past year because of an unfortunate comment to me by a moderator, I can't even remember who it was now.

Congrats on the progress.

Congratulations on your success Pawtucket, thanks for sharing that with us, and for giving GS another chance..it sounds like everything is in balance.  It takes a lot of hard work to quit smoking and to loose weight, so glad that your healthier too, keep up the good work!  :dance:

Thanks to the Mods too!

Congratulations on the weight loss as well as the divorce from Dominoes.

I'm sure I'd find something to do with my time if Grease Spot went away...but boy, would I miss this place.

It's a privelege assisting in the upkeep of this fine establishment.

Thanks!

Great Paw.

Over the past few months I've had to really reduce my salt intake and pretty much eliminate sugar and corn sweeteners. Now that blood sugar and pressure are under control, I'll be working on the weight. Nothing is easy about this. We can't eat 95% of the junk the stores sell. I wish you the best.

Congratulations! What an awsome accomplishment.... I am so glad that you are taking care of yourself. I also sincerely appreciate you keeping greasespot up and running during your personal difficulties.

It has been an part of my ever ongoing healing and growth process.

I look forward to seeing more of ...(er though um um I guess after losing 100 + lbs that technically there is really less of you now...lol :) ) you around here and am looking forward to hearing more interviews.

Cathy

Edited by rascal

Paw,

I can't thank you enough for starting this site when you did. The service you have provided has been invaluable to so many of us!! (Has it really been nine years already? Wow. I can't imagine the headaches you have had to put up with over all this time. Thank you, thank you!!!)

And, as someone who has recently started digging her way out of her own weight-pit, your story is SO inspiring... congratulations on getting your life back!!

THW

Good for you Pawtucket!! Phenomenal progress...keep it up!!

Though I don't get on here much...and actually post anything even less, I do appreciate you hosting this for all the folks reaching out. Thanks to the moderators as well as I'm sure they do more and put up with more than most folks would be able to. Thank you for keeping it going!

Bob

Congrats, Paw. Way to go and KEEP IT UP!!!

Thanks also for keeping GS Cafe open. I have been too busy to post much but still read the threads that interest me.

AGAIN, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!